Thread: 100m Airgun Project

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default 100m Airgun Project

Hi All

I'm planning a 100m airgun project, as an experimental platform. Going for ultimate accuracy for in- or out-doors paper punching. Not to compete officially at bench.

I do hope to get lots of other suggestions, so I'm open minded about this.

For now the planning is a pellet or later possible slug shooting Theoben style 5, 5.5 or 6.35mm (yes licenced) rifle regulated with either a LW poly or Benchmade 3 grove barrel. Which will be tested, hand lapped, and indexed. I know the barrel is the hart of this project and just finding a "good" one is going to be a challenge.

Quick fill, gauges on both reg and cylinder. I have lots of 400cc cylinders, but hope to get a 500 or 450 carbon for this.

Adjustable pellet probe to play with, and hopefully perfect the correct pellet depth.

Good glass and solid stock. Everything else is academic, unless it drives accuracy.

Have access to CNC machines, for any custom work, although this is to be for fun and ballistic experimentation.

If anyone has other suggestions or opinions, please let me know....

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Speak to Kevin AirVolution here on the forum and also Jaco over at X-treme air guns in Centurion

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mike will do. I need all the help I can get with this.

As a very clever man stated "100m+ is like conducting a full orchestra. Everything must be working in absolute harmony. The margin of error is vanishingly small at these extended ranges for normal airguns" - thanks CK!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Read some old Wannebe threads ....... at one time or another I did a lot of testing together with Gert and Paul ......

I think a 5.5 would be enough ..... provided you get the barrel etc right ........

I once had a 5.0m Theoben that went to a certain Doc on this forum .... I think that was by far my most accurate rifle I ever owned ....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Willie also had a go at this .......

Was so happy to see some old photo's of a good friend .......

Project : Build a 100m Theoben ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wannebe View Post
    Willie also had a go at this .......

Was so happy to see some old photo's of a good friend .......

Project : Build a 100m Theoben ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Thanks Wannebe, I drooled over the photos last night. I have so much work with this but is very excited at the prospect, as I'm sure all have experienced that endeavored in such a build.

I must admit I was expecting others to chip in with alternate rifle suggestions. But it seams the old tractor is IT!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How about a Airforce Condor? And for interest sake a weirauch springer 5.5?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Agree, I saw some tube vids of some serious long range shooting with larger caliber Condor rifles. Not sure I have the aptitude for a springer.

But in the meantime I had the opportunity to shoot at 100m outdoor in fairly bad wind with a friends FX Impact with .22 slugs. And could not believe the results. Can't wait to get my own!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I think even the Condor 5.5 will be pretty consistent at 100m too... How about a some cheaper rifles like the hatsan AT44 5.5? My 4.5 is spot on at 70m and pretty decent up to 80m but at 100m it's capable but not consistent enough, but I think the heavier 5.5 pellets will be consistent enough at 100m?

Marksman

User Info Menu

What grouping would be accepted as spot on or at least a good grouping at 70m and 100m ? The Wattlespring shooting range is not too far from me, and sometimes i try their 75m range just for fun. With mild wind i can get a 70mm group (QB79 4.5mm 10.34 gr jsb's at 910fps) with a flier here and there that opens the group to 100mm +.

Danie

Marksman

User Info Menu

Shooting bench I can tell you that wind is the number one factor, then probably pellet quality combined with how it matches your barrel. Then the other gun, rest and or human factors.

Indoors at 100m the top guys doing this in the past managed 19mm - 25mm with specialized rifles purposely build for it. So compaired to that your groups are not bad at all!!

But times are changing and so is technology, for me this is a fun drive to play and learn and to see what is possible.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

https://www.airrifle.co.za/album.php?albumid=1432

That rifle was capable of shooting <25mm indoor groups most days.

This was shot just playing outside ..... the pellet hole that you can see way down the target was when I was still busy to zero the scope.

Also, those groups was shot from a full fill until it came of the reg .... I cannot remember how many shots. I think I did post a thread here somewhere at the time.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The more i shoot the more i realize that the slightest movement (heartbeat) or different trigger pull makes a lot of difference on the poi at even less than 20m. I guess that is because of the relative slow speed of the pellet. The more i also realize that most any fairly good rifle will outshoot my abilities and a lot about shooting accurately comes down to the person 'pulling' the trigger. After all that is considered you still have to deal with wind while trying to get a featherlite projectile to hit a target at 100m