Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scopes Discussion

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Scopes Discussion

Hi all,

Since I couldn't find a suitable thread before and also there is no much extensive information on the web, can you just throw your opinions in regards of the following here:

Scopes which can be suitable for hunting as well as starter HFT/FT shooting.
    Variable magnification starting from 3 - 6 up to 9 - 16.
    Objective size from 42 up to 56.
    Since the scopes should be suitable for FT also, lets get opinions only on scopes with side wheel adjustable parallax (not AO), 30mm tube only and 1/8" elevation and windage adjustments.
    Also Illuminated reticle - is overrated or it really helps in low light?

Brands so far under consideration should be the ones relatively easy obtainable in SA:

Oryx
    AGS
    Nikko Stirling
    Lynx
    Hawke
    ZOS
    Leapers
    MTC
    BSA

So far I've looked at Leapers, AGS, Oryx and MTC. The Leapers and AGS seem a bit foggy with higher magnification, while the Oryx is not very precise on the focusing and getting the distance right. MTC seems to be very good but pricey as well.
    Last edited by swordfish; 04-08-08 at 02:06.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So far I haven't blamed my scopes for my fliers.
    Leapers is clear enough for me @ 28x 50-58 yrds provided my right eye is at the right place and I used the side wheel correctly.
    I haven't tried to read a newspaper through them though .
    I seldom use the illumination but it is a nice too have.
    Most probably there is better glass out there but I do not feel the need to spend my time searching for it. Better work on my technique I think.
    Even N/S gold crown served me honestly and they have my respect for the $$ they costed me.
    Leapers and AGS are the same.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yannis you really love your leapers scope

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've compared MTC with ZOS in the range yesterday. I suggest you do the same before you buy.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what did you find boondock.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

at hi mag they have identical picture quality.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
    Yannis you really love your leapers scope
    It is a no-complain relationship with a good dose of respect and appreciation. The passion is with the rifles but I have some regular good times with the pistol.
    Difficult to be faithful to one relationship

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is a good choice of a scope though, that shows quality every time.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boondock View Post
    at hi mag they have identical picture quality.
    Boondock what about focusing?

E.g. with Oryx the picture is not bad but if you set it for let's say 40m and look at 50m the picture is pretty much the same sharpness. So rangefing would be a problem with that scope. Leapers and Nikko Stirling seem to be better in such case.
    Last edited by swordfish; 04-08-08 at 01:48.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by YANNIS View Post
    So far I haven't blamed my scopes for my fliers.
    Leapers is clear enough for me @ 28x 50-58 yrds provided my right eye is at the right place and I used the side wheel correctly.
    I haven't tried to read a newspaper through them though .
    I seldom use the illumination but it is a nice too have.
    Most probably there is better glass out there but I do not feel the need to spend my time searching for it. Better work on my technique I think.
    Even N/S gold crown served me honestly and they have my respect for the $$ they costed me.
    Leapers and AGS are the same.
    Nothing wrong with little foggy. I'm just trying to get different opinions for the capabilities of different scopes within the above range. I'm definately not looking for the best scope out there. Otherwise I'd go straight for Zeiss.
    Last edited by swordfish; 04-08-08 at 02:10.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I am sorry to say there is no scope that is good for hunting and HFT and FT.

Get a small scope for hunting and HFT something like the Leapers 3-12X44. Don't get a scope with a big objective lens. For airgun hunting and HFT you want a small objective lens and low power to ensure good depth of field.

For FT you need a big objective lens and high power to ensure a shallow depth of field for accurate range finding.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Guys, I started this thread with the idea of scope reviews within the intially stated range. For selling and buying, I think there is another section on this forum.

The genaral idea behind this thread is to help me and other newbies to know the abilities of those scopes. I'm really not looking to buy anything on this thread. Unfortunately you can't find a single place in SA, where you can go and take a look at all of the above brands at the same time.
    Last edited by swordfish; 04-08-08 at 14:25.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Posts moved to the for sale section

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    I am sorry to say there is no scope that is good for hunting and HFT and FT.

Get a small scope for hunting and HFT something like the Leapers 3-12X44. Don't get a scope with a big objective lens. For airgun hunting and HFT you want a small objective lens and low power to ensure good depth of field.

For FT you need a big objective lens and high power to ensure a shallow depth of field for accurate range finding.

Arnold, do you think 4-16x56 is not good for a starter FT? We are still no competing for the Olympics. And if you fix it at 4 magnification can't you do hunting and HFT?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

swordfish,
    I'm not an optics guru but I know that 16x magnification is much to little for FT range finding, no matter at what level. I would not recommend less than at least 24x. AFA as depth of field is concerned I don't think that is too much of a problem when hunting as I regularly shoot up to fifty pigeons in a day with a 60mm objective lens Nikko scope at 10x magnification. I also use a 3-9x40 or 6-24x42 scopes for BR, hunting and silhouettes, with good results throughout the magnification ratio. HFT(which I don't shoot) and BR have a 12x restriction, as you know, but there is nothing wrong with hunting at high magnification, you must just be familiar and used to target acquisition at high magnification. I put my parallax at 30m and leave it there using the scope like you would for HFT, when using higher magnification for any discipline.