Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What silencer for my Kral Jumbo 5.5mm

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default What silencer for my Kral Jumbo 5.5mm

This rifle is LOUD. The only 5.5 silencer I have is an old Airvolition. It's being doing duty on my .20 PCP for years now. No problems at all. It also works 100% on my Crosman 2240 5.5mm. But when it's on the Kral it clips my pellets, sending the pellets tumbling to the target.
    What silencer can you recommend that works perfectly on this Kral Puncher Jumbo 5.5mm.
    I know I cannot expect it too be mousefart quiet at it's powerlevel, but I o want to make it as quiet as possible. It seems the shroud is only there for looks.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No advice?
    Perhaps a HW100 5.5mm silencer? Or are there even quieter out there?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If the AirVolution works perfectly on 2 other rifles, chances are good that there is a problem with the barrel - shroud alignment or the threaded shroud endcap is out of alignment. Have you tried removing the shroud and screwing the silencer directly onto the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    This rifle is LOUD. The only 5.5 silencer I have is an old Airvolition. It's being doing duty on my .20 PCP for years now. No problems at all. It also works 100% on my Crosman 2240 5.5mm. But when it's on the Kral it clips my pellets, sending the pellets tumbling to the target.
    What silencer can you recommend that works perfectly on this Kral Puncher Jumbo 5.5mm.
    I know I cannot expect it too be mousefart quiet at it's powerlevel, but I o want to make it as quiet as possible. It seems the shroud is only there for looks.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper View Post
    If the AirVolution works perfectly on 2 other rifles, chances are good that there is a problem with the barrel - shroud alignment or the threaded shroud endcap is out of alignment. Have you tried removing the shroud and screwing the silencer directly onto the barrel?
    I believe this must be my next step. I just have no idea how to. I cannot find a youtube video about it for my specific rifle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If your silencer that worked on another 5.5mm rifle is clipping pellets on this one then the barrel may need to be re-threaded regardless which silencer you end up with.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The Kral branded silencer should work fine.

One should keep in mind that a lot of the sound emanated stems from the internal components of the rifle.

I have owned several Kral rifles and found the Kral silencers to be as good as it gets - not silent mind you but it gets the job done.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

One thing I should mention is that the Airvolution silencer is very much more loose fitting when screwing it on than my other silencers. Perhaps I could do a bit of shimming as it might not fit properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi there,

A guy from Secunda made one for my Jumbo, very quite and works well. His name is Paul Lubbe (Pellet caster?) and he is on the forum

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kruger View Post
    Hi there,

A guy from Secunda made one for my Jumbo, very quite and works well. His name is Paul Lubbe (Pellet caster?) and he is on the forum
    Thanks.
    Do you perhaps have the specs? Length etc?
    Or perhaps a photo?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I bought a Tula modular silencer. I hope its as quiet as you all say If it clips the pellets still, I will remove the shroud to look into possible solutions.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

There is only 1 x way to get the best out of any silencer ............... custom fit it to the barrel .... and that means 1 x silencer for every barrel you have .......or at least multiple screw on sections for the same silencer body.

To get the best out of the silencer you want the holes to be as small as possible and perfectly in line with the bore ... not the barrel.

Here is how ................. (what I use to do for all my barrels)

1. Run the barrel in the lathe as follows .......
    2. Clamp the barrel at the back in the chuck (Safety ... never run the lathe with the barrel like this and not on the center support !!!!)
    3. Run the front in the turning center
    4. Now cut the threat onto the barrel with this setup.

No, you are not done yet .....

5. Remove the barrel
    6. Now fit / screw on the silencer
    6. If it is the typical HW type, unscrew the silencer body but leave the back support that screw onto the barrel in place on the barrel.
    7. Now put the barrel back into the lathe but this time clamp it as close as you can to the front.
    8. Now "true" the face where the body of the silencer will seat when you screw it back on.

Now you can fit the silencer body and if you run it in the lathe all "should" run true ............. ..... if you are lucky ......

My little Chinese lathe could manage this "work-around" and I never had pellets clipping..........

PS:

Always only remove enough metal or cut the threat only "enough" so that everything fits tightly ..... unnecessary play is a sure accuracy destroyer .....

Finally the old masking tape test don't lie ....
    Last edited by Wannebe; 26-08-19 at 22:04.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The secret of all of the above is .......

Threads can never be cut with close enough tolerance etc to ensure 100% alignment .... the "mating" faces as you assemble everything can easily be done though. One just need to start from an initially properly aligned point ... therefore the first few steps.

The same principles apply when dealing with shrouds etc. Have done a good couple of extensions etc and other mods on Theoben MFR shrouds ....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

another point .... no off the shelf silencer can ever be guaranteed not to clip ..... that depends on your barrel etc mostly .....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Wannebe. I will see what the tulo does when I receive it. Hopefully it will be good news.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

here is my 2c...

I have few silencers with me but couldn't tell the exact difference between them.
    so I did a test but it's not-so-scientific lol

attached is recording file using my phone's stereo microphone.
    it's FX Impact with same power setting.

no silencer- FX stock(no baffle inside) - Donnyfl Tanto - STO Levitas - Weihrauch

seems like Tanto works the best for me
    Attached Files Attached Files