Thread: DIY Dry Pack

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default DIY Dry Pack

Hi Guys
    Ok so this follows on from my other thread about moisture in PCP's from hand pumps. (Again please assume that a scuba cylinder is not an option here for dry air)
    So my question is.
    Has anyone made a homemade dry pack that can either bolt inline onto a Hatsan style pump or can be connected with the quick couplers they use for paintball? (can they handle the high pressures?)
    Or perhaps a dry pack on the air intake of a pump?
    What would a person use as the drying agent? silica gel? would that not absorb moisture from the air when not in use though?
    What else could be used?
    Thoughts?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Univ. of Google might help.

You need a drying agent that you can regenerate at moderate temperatures in your oven at home. The agent must also not emit any odours or dangerous substances while being regenerated.

Silica gel is one option. It may be a little slow to absorb moisture so you might need to use a large amount and force the incoming air past all of it. Silica gel can be obtained with a colour indicator that helps to indicate when it is time to regenerate.
    Calcium Chloride or Sodium Sulphate in their dry (anhydride) forms are also candidates. Both absorb water directly into their crystal structures and can be regenerated by heating at temperatures less than 200 degC in your oven without giving off any bad stuff or catching alight. Both are relatively inexpensive but you'd need to source from a chemical supplier or hydraulics supplier.

Cartridges are available commercially - typically used to dry instrument air supplies in industrial sites.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just check, the Hatsan pump has silica packs inside the handles, where I assume it is breathing its air in.

https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/wp-cont...-March2016.pdf
    Last edited by JohanG; 27-08-19 at 13:41. Reason: added link

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

mmm thanks. i did not know it had a filter. fantastic stuff.
    Thanks for the info guys

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

About the cheapest silica available can be taken from truck air-break cylinder air filters. Far cheaper than the commercial packs sold

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ok any idea where I can get one of those? Aside from suppliers? Breakers yards perhaps? Must be enormous?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

ok so just an update on this. I managed to find quite big packs (big enough for a pump) of the colour changing silica gel on Aliexpress for about $3.00 a packet (incl shipping)
    its orange when dry and black when filled with moisture. its also reuseable as it can be left in a hot dry environment to dry them out again.
    I can post the link if anyone wants it.
    Cheers

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

there is a place in the east rand that sells silica....R85 / kg last price I got...
    they have blue to pink....orange to green....white....and molecular sieve as well....

Sharp Shooter
    Lifetime Forum Sponsor
    ARF Member Of The Year 2018

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by speedfox_2002 View Post
    Ok any idea where I can get one of those? Aside from suppliers? Breakers yards perhaps? Must be enormous?
    Available from motor dealer outlets. It just looks like a largish oil filter but filled with those magic silica granules. Pic attached

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like Dallas has the best reply.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The silica gel beads/crystals made for truck compressors likely do not have a colour indicator. So whatever source you settle on it is nice to have a small amount of the indicator beads mixed in. When the colour changes you'll know they need to be recharged ( 120 degC in the oven for about 2h).
    The blue/pink coloured gels are banned in EU because the colourant is cobalt chloride which is somewhat toxic (but still widely used elsewhere). An alternative orange/green colourant is available but may be a bit more pricey.
    Last edited by JXV; 03-09-19 at 13:56.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu