Thread: Barrel and scope alignment ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Barrel and scope alignment ?

Hi all
    I am Having an Issue with my setup and need the brains trust to educate me .

Here is the issue . 10-35m my POI is slighty right of spot on from 45-55 i am spot on nd then at 65-100m i start to see my POI shift slightly to the left and getting worse as the distance progresses . No wind what so ever .

My 1st thought was that it could be the rings .... i have changed my rings a number of times and all have the same issue .
    My 2nd thought was the scope ... i have now changed my scope 3 times at great expence STILL the same issue .
    My 3rd was i am canting the rifle . so got bubble levels on rifle and scope trued it all up 100% still same issue .

I am left with one conclusion and that is that the scope and barrel are not directly above one another and some how this is causing the issue .

PLEASE HELP ME AS I AM LOOSING MY TINY MIND !

i am shooting a Kral maxi 5.5 Descovery VT-3 FFP scope and JSB 18s if that helps .

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Not wanting to sound facetious, but as you have gone through a logical progression of checks, the only option now is to change the rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i would love to but cant afford a new rifle

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just one other thought - the Kral Maxi, does it have an A clamp type barrel support collar at the front of the cylinder?

If it does try loosening off any locking screws and re-aligning it, generally the barrel will dictate the position it naturally wants to sit in.

It can become twisted slightly if it has had a knock and the retaining screws were not tight or even assembled offset from the factory.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Just one other thought - the Kral Maxi, does it have an A clamp type barrel support collar at the front of the cylinder?

If it does try loosening off any locking screws and re-aligning it, generally the barrel will dictate the position it naturally wants to sit in.

It can become twisted slightly if it has had a knock and the retaining screws were not tight or even assembled offset from the factory.
    I did not think of that ! thanks for the the info will give that a go and give you some feed back .

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '16

User Info Menu

I had a similar issue, swapped the front and rear rings around, problem gone.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Perhaps also index the barrel if you can (ports etc). Rotate it 90 deg. through 360 - shooting test groups at zero, short and long distance and then compare each one.

If the short and long distances 'flip' ITO POI, that will cofirm a bad barrel, or terrible engineering in the barrel/action mount.

Also have a careful look at the rail. It may have been machined skew.

Believe me, and I am sure someone like Dale can confirm... manufacturers sometime allow crazy out of its cage.

I have seen a Gamo where the bore on the barrel was probably 2mm off centre.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Believe me, and I am sure someone like Dale can confirm... manufacturers sometime allow crazy out of its cage.
    Yes, I have had one or two absolute howlers over the years.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    I had a similar issue, swapped the front and rear rings around, problem gone.
    To me that does not inspire confidence in the quality of those mounts.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    To me that does not inspire confidence in the quality of those mounts.
    Agreed.. But in a pinch when there is no time to make other arrangements it will do the job.

The solution was suggested by fellow airgunners, which tells me that such problems are not uncommon.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    which tells me that such problems are not uncommon.
    I wouldn't say that I have found such problems to be common, but then again I have always believed in buying quality, well engineered mounts.

I have to laugh at times when I see some people spend loads on a rifle and scope then skimp on the mounts - talk about false economy, remember the old saying about a chain and its weakest link..............