Thread: Local Sandbags

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Local Sandbags

Howzit Guys n Gals

Thought I'd do a review on something I found locally as I'm sure some of you might be interested. Yeah, I like taking photos

SWAMBO has been bleating about me shooting on the bed pillows, something about spilled beer, dunno, I wasn't paying attention. So I've been looking for a rifle rest of sorts and came across this on TakeAlot:

I ordered from takelot and it came 2 days later. This consists of 2 bags, one to rest the stock on and one for the butt. It came in a clear plastic bag, no tags or any manufacturer information. Now I'd like to make a point; I am not affiliated or associated with the manufacturer in any way. In fact I don't even know who makes these things, I suspect its a tent company. The first thing I noticed is the canvas is very very high quality, this is not from china. It's the kind of fabric you would expect an Oztrail tent to be made out of. Definitely waterproof which is good cos you don't want your filling media to get wet when you spill your beer. I'm sure this is locally produced out of off-cuts from something bigger. It's got some nice soft stuff where the stock will rest. There's a nylon strap and D-rings on the big bag and a clip on the small bag to clip them together.

It's got these cool filling ports that close with velcro and then tuck under a nylon strap. Better than a zips which tend to break.

In terms of filling media you could use sand or rice or pretty much anything you want that has a little weight. I opted for samp because it's not as heavy as sand and it has a nice crunchy flow to it. (and it's dirt cheap)

My shooting table is way too low, I had to put a block of wood under the front bag. I have a funny style of reverse holding the stock with my left hand so I opted not to use the rear bag.

I haven't had fantastic results. The Norica kicks like a mule. But I'm slowly getting better.
    Grouping at 20m:

Conclusion:
    • Really good quality bags
    • Good price
    • Locally manufactured
    • Worth the buy!

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing

The bag might be a tad forward under the rifle.
    Determine the balance point of the rifle and position the bag accordingly.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by THE PIRATE View Post
    Thanks for sharing

The bag might be a tad forward under the rifle.
    Determine the balance point of the rifle and position the bag accordingly.
    Thanks Pirate, I'll give it a try.
    One thing I noticed when going frame by frame through a video of me shooting; the lever moves during recoil! It goes down about 2mm then snaps up against the barrel. That can't be good.