Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer to Gas Ram conversion, suggestions and feedback.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Springer to Gas Ram conversion, suggestions and feedback.

Hi all,

I have seen a lot of members (including myself) asking and searching for recent info on gas ram conversion, can all the members that have done the spring to gas ram conversion please provide feedback??

Share your thoughts and things you have noticed that are better and worse from your own personal experience with you conversion,

Let's also share where you had yours done and the service you received for all of us that want to have our springers converted!

The Oom From T.J.O.P.S
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Not all springers can be gas rammed
    Why do you want to gas ram? accuracy? Speed?
    At what distance do you want to shoot and what is your intended target?

Have this answered and then decide?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW

Welkom by die malhuis.....

Marksman

User Info Menu

Well I shoot normally at 20-40M, its a Gamo Hunter 440 .177 (guns like 15 years old but still a king!) I have another gun that has a gas ram and it just shoot sooo much more constant.

All in all I want to give my Gamo a new life!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just to offer a counter perspective, the gas ram is not some 'miracle cure'.

Proper tuning using well fitted, quality parts and lubricant will transform a decent spring rifle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Ruan,

I have a hunter 440, the older model. i bought it because of the 1000fps advertising. From the beginning i could not shoot anything resembling a good grouping. It was very hold sensitive. this was before i had even heard of this forum. Someone told me to contact Vincent (Mze), i can not even remember who. Eventually after another year or two of unhappiness i did contact him and arranged for him to fix it. Compared to what i paid for the rifle it is quite expensive, but i decided to have it done because i really did not want to get rid of the Hunter, it is a very beautiful rifle.
    The day i collected it oom Vince told me he did not tune it for maximum power as we had not discussed anythng power wise, i just wanted to be able to hit the target, i think it is shooting jsb 4.52mm 8.44gr pellets atapprox 750fps 10.5fpe. At firs i was disappointed because i wanted a 1000fps rifle, i did not understand the power vs accuracy thing with airrifles. After shooting the rifle a couple of times i can tell you the rifle is much more accurate than before and not as hold sensitive. I can shoot 25mm groups at 25m where before i could do 70mm plus at the same distance. The trigger was done at the same time and that was a good decission too.
    If i practiced more with the Hunter i would probably get tighter groups but i got into pcp and hpa airguns and suddenly i could hit paintballs at 40+m. The hunter is still my most beautiful airgun i have and i will keep it as long as i can.
    Thank you oom Vince (R.I.P) A beautiful rifle made even more beautiful and useful by a very nice 'oom' that i got to know in the airrifle community.

Danie

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Just to offer a counter perspective, the gas ram is not some 'miracle cure'.

Proper tuning using well fitted, quality parts and lubricant will transform a decent spring rifle.

I definitely agree with you, I have seen some very well tuned springers that are in some cases top class. In the long run however I would say the gas ram is better suited.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Man with no name View Post
    Hi Ruan,

I have a hunter 440, the older model. i bought it because of the 1000fps advertising. From the beginning i could not shoot anything resembling a good grouping. It was very hold sensitive. this was before i had even heard of this forum. Someone told me to contact Vincent (Mze), i can not even remember who. Eventually after another year or two of unhappiness i did contact him and arranged for him to fix it. Compared to what i paid for the rifle it is quite expensive, but i decided to have it done because i really did not want to get rid of the Hunter, it is a very beautiful rifle.
    The day i collected it oom Vince told me he did not tune it for maximum power as we had not discussed anythng power wise, i just wanted to be able to hit the target, i think it is shooting jsb 4.52mm 8.44gr pellets atapprox 750fps 10.5fpe. At firs i was disappointed because i wanted a 1000fps rifle, i did not understand the power vs accuracy thing with airrifles. After shooting the rifle a couple of times i can tell you the rifle is much more accurate than before and not as hold sensitive. I can shoot 25mm groups at 25m where before i could do 70mm plus at the same distance. The trigger was done at the same time and that was a good decission too.
    If i practiced more with the Hunter i would probably get tighter groups but i got into pcp and hpa airguns and suddenly i could hit paintballs at 40+m. The hunter is still my most beautiful airgun i have and i will keep it as long as i can.
    Thank you oom Vince (R.I.P) A beautiful rifle made even more beautiful and useful by a very nice 'oom' that i got to know in the airrifle community.

Danie
    Hi Danie,

Power is definitely not always better, I have a friend with some sort of Grizzly rifle a .22 cal. Thing is an absolute beats and demolishes anything in it path, but trying to hit a R5 coin at 15 is a major challenge. I also see the Gamo 440 as a very beautiful rifle, I however changed my stock a bit, I sanded it down and gave it some good oil to really bring out the color of the wood, I was not to fond of the protection coating as it also had gotten some scratches over the years.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuanL View Post
    In the long run however I would say the gas ram is better suited.
    Better suited to what exactly?

Worried about spring fatigue if left cocked?

Provided the spring steel is up to spec, that myth has long since been busted, besides gas rams can leak over time.
    Last edited by Dale; 02-09-19 at 16:32.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Not from being left cocked, I have both spring and gas and don't leave either cocked when I am not shooting. In my own personal experience though pretty sure a lot of debate will be around this, the gas has a longer consistency regarding the fps when testing over the crony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Better suited to what exactly?

Worried about spring fatigue if left cocked?

Provided the spring steel is up to spec, that myth has long since been busted, besides gas rams can leak over time.
    Last edited by RuanL; 02-09-19 at 19:00.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The Hunter is no Rolls Royce and can't be compared with the top notch rifles, mine was shooting so erratically that something had to be done. I can not remember what was wrong but oom Vince convinced me to do the gas ram and i am happy. If i had asked for a new spring and detune it would maybe have been a better option, i don't know. All i know is that the rifle shoots much better and that is all that matters. My rifle nearly looks the same as the day i bought it in 2001 i think and it has one small scratch where a friend bumped it against a tree. the stock really looks like a large callibre rifle's stock and not like a cheap airrifle's stock.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Any issues in fps drop after the conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by Man with no name View Post
    The Hunter is no Rolls Royce and can't be compared with the top notch rifles, mine was shooting so erratically that something had to be done. I can not remember what was wrong but oom Vince convinced me to do the gas ram and i am happy. If i had asked for a new spring and detune it would maybe have been a better option, i don't know. All i know is that the rifle shoots much better and that is all that matters. My rifle nearly looks the same as the day i bought it in 2001 i think and it has one small scratch where a friend bumped it against a tree. the stock really looks like a large callibre rifle's stock and not like a cheap airrifle's stock.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuanL View Post
    In my own personal experience though pretty sure a lot of debate will be around this, the gas has a longer consistency regarding the fps when testing over the crony.
    I would personally say my experience doesn't agree with that.

There are a whole lot more variables to consistent velocity than simply the power source.

One other thing is consistent velocities does not automatically translate into accuracy on target, I have had experience of pellets that are giving single figure variation over the chrono that shot patterns rather than groups.

One thing I would say, is I would personally never buy any gas ram that uses a sealed strut, I have an old Theoben converted BSA Superstar in .177 at home, the strut has leaked pressure and it now runs at around 8ft.lbs - at that power it is quite sweet, so until the strut gives up the ghost completely I will leave it alone, but when it does expire it will be put back to a spring and guides as I know I can get around 10.5 ft.lbs from it while still retaining the sweet firing cycle.

The only gas ram rifles I would be willing to buy are older Theobens - Countryman / Sirocco / Grand Prix / Imperator SLR88 and preferably the pre-HE versions, the only other gas ram I would touch is the HW90.

Why these?

Simple, the ram is serviceable, all it needs to maintain it is seals and you can vary the pressure easily to give the sweetest firing cycle.
    Last edited by Dale; 03-09-19 at 08:29.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I bought a chronograph a couple years ago to do testing with the hpa conversions i have done on my QB rifles and if i remember correctly the Hunter had no more than 10fps variation, it was probably closer to 7fps. I did not do a comprehensive test with different pellets or sizes of pellets or even at different ranges. I am not in Pta at the moment, when i get back i will do a test and post it for you if you are still undecided. But like i said the grouping stays close if i can keep the crosshairs on target and it is much less hold sensitive. I will not even try to shoot distances above 25m with this rifle as i don't think it was made as a long range shooter. The accuracy issues were sorted and there is no spring that can break (i have broken a few). I have heard the gas rams can last as long as the rifle, obviously if you take care of it. The Gamo will never be a hw97 etc. etc. (i had the opportunity to test shoot one that a friend wanted to buy, WOW), but it is still a well made airgun

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi RuanL,

I currently own a Gamo CFX Royal originally supplied with a spring however, i did the conversion to gas ram.

Results - better grouping and the scope stay true. I would definitely recommend the conversion.

Supplier
    Gamo South Africa

1 Rifle Range Road, Baragwanath, Johannesburg, 2013

Dion 082 887 3434

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ahem, gamoSA. I have seen some of their work on customer's rifles