Thread: Air rifle modifications and accuracy.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Air rifle modifications and accuracy.

I am a believer in the sense that a specific barrel likes a specific pellet at a specific speed.
    If I can take my FX Ranchero as an example. Its got 3 power settings, low, medium and high. The rifle gives its best groupings at 35 meters when I shoot it at its highest power setting. The groupings opens up when I dial down the power, no matter what pellet I use.
    Now, many people talk about installing gas-rams to their springer rifles. Lets say you take a fixed barrel that is currently shooting at 850 fps. You want to now gasram it to shoot at 700fps. Will accuracy not suffer, despite the fact that the gasram is smoother etc?
    I once thought of buying a known to be accurate fixed barrel springer, like a HW97 or so, and fit it with a low power (600fps) gasram. But looking at the results of my FX Ranchero I had second thoughts. My .20 Axsor is currently with Kevin to sort out an air leak, so he can confirm if he wants that it is truly a one-hole shooter at 35 meters. And it shoots at a high 900 fps average.
    So my question: Are lower velocities not hurting a rifles accuracy when it was designed to shoot at a specific speed with a specific pellet in that specific barrel?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would have a sneaking suspicion that the issues with the Ranchero are more likely to do with how the power is varied. My own experience has suggested that 'quick change' power settings are at best a fudge.

On an airgun example, my Sportsmatch GC2 is adjustable for power, just not quick change. If I adjust it down to minimum power I don't see a loss of accuracy.

Taking a non-airgun example I have a .44 Magnum Henry lever action rifle, I use reduced power home loads for target shooting and still get excellent grouping from it.

Best of luck trying to put a gas ram into an HW97 - the design precludes the use of a gas ram.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I would have a sneaking suspicion that the issues with the Ranchero are more likely to do with how the power is varied. My own experience has suggested that 'quick change' power settings are at best a fudge.

On an airgun example, my Sportsmatch GC2 is adjustable for power, just not quick change. If I adjust it down to minimum power I don't see a loss of accuracy.

Taking a non-airgun example I have a .44 Magnum Henry lever action rifle, I use reduced power home loads for target shooting and still get excellent grouping from it.

Best of luck trying to put a gas ram into an HW97 - the design precludes the use of a gas ram.
    Then I am glad I never tried it