Thread: Scope eye shade or not?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Scope eye shade or not?

Evening everyone,

I have stayed away from posting so furiously here on the forum for a while after I was told by a member "deadmans" shooting style was "shyte", I simply felt it was the wrong feedback for me at the time I posted, everyone is different and declaring a "certain" style or position as useless made me lose the enthusiasm to post or ask here. It was short sighted feedback in my view, but then I am new so take my opinion with a pinch of salt...

I have since used the "deadmans" to not only improve my shooting scores by a massive margin but have slowly included adapting shooting over the knees for higher shots as is required. The style suits me for what I want to achieve in FT so far and I feel more and more confident in each shot I take and most importantly I really enjoy shooting every lane, hit or miss. I learn all the time, slowly as I'm blonde but every shot adds up to my "database".

This brings me back to the 90's when moto GP was still run with 500cc two strokes and the likes of Wayne Rayney, Mick Doohan and Kevin Schwantz were the kings of their track, all wonderful and at the top of their game. If you were a purist and worked your presumptions purely on what riding style would make for the better then Kevin Schwantz would never have been able to be successful, never mind that he became a world champion when the field had two of the best riders of the era racing with him. He rode high, even lifted his centre of gravity coming into corners, a "shyte" way of racing in anyone's book, but he didn't listen to them and him riding like a "shyte" he simply rode, I feel the same about FT shooting but will always be open to advice, especially as I have been blessed to have a group of shooters that have been incredible tutors and examples that I get to shoot with every few weeks.

So after all that here is my question:
    I have used an eye shade on my Big Nikko and have initially found it to be a help as it simply meant I could find my ideal distance between scope and my eye quickly, now I find it's a hindrance as my seated eye position and angle relative to the axis around the scope changes from deadmans to shooting kneeling and then obviously standing. Now I still have a lot to learn and my positionals are still crap but the issue of an eye shade will remain the same whether I improve or don't do my style.

I feel I am better off removing the eye shade as I have a wide rim hat for shade and getting centre in the scope will be more accurate without the eye shade, I simply have to settle myself at the right distance with a bit more practice.

Has anyone else walked the same road with an eye shade or have some feedback?

Thanks as usual.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

To keep my opinion sweet and short.
    I have tried but can't get to grips using it hence I can't stand it.
    At the end of the day it will be what works for you in all your shooting positions.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ravenflight View Post
    Evening everyone,

I feel I am better off removing the eye shade as I have a wide rim hat for shade and getting centre in the scope will be more accurate without the eye shade, I simply have to settle myself at the right distance with a bit more practice.

Has anyone else walked the same road with an eye shade or have some feedback?

Thanks as usual.

Yes.

I can't use them, esp. since I shoot both deadman's (or various mutations of it anyway) as well as off my knee (and myriad variations of that too). I also get vertigo.

I also, however, find that there is too much ambient light hitting the ocular lens on the Sightron. This hinders ranging ability FOR ME.

I have therefore created my own solution that works PERFECTLY - and it remedies everything to do with finding the centre of the scope and a lot more.

Get hold of a 50mm ABS pipe joiner. Insert a rubber sheet spacer (I have some for you), and adjust it to whatever position you need it to be.

Come to NC at some stage and I will help you with your positional technique. Just feed me Zamaleks.

edit... I actually have one for you....

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ok first of all, tell the person that told you that deadmans is shit to look at the score board. Current person top of SA log shoots deadmans, current Gauteng champ shoots deadmans, current National champ shoots deadmans. Need I say any more about that?
    Regarding the eye shade, do what is comfortable for YOU. Forget who says what. I have tried it and could not find any reason to do it, It did not help with ranging or anything else, For me it is a moerse nuisance. If you shoot better using it, use it, if you don't, bin it. Dis so maklik soos dit.

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

Goeie dag Almal, stap terug skiet op 50m Deadmans 10 shot groeperings, en van die knieg af 10 shots, en kyk as Deadmans vir jou werk, maak die selfde met die eyeboot. En kyk as dit enige nadele het, ek skiet met 'n Eye boot om my geweer regop te hou met angle shots, want dan is my geweer top heavy, ek vind dit beter ook as ek kneel en staan om 'n extra punt te hê wat net raak, ook nie te veel nie, dan is dit nadelig, hoop dit help lekker skiet mooi oefen groete Machiel