Thread: Cheap mounts vs expensive mounts

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Cheap mounts vs expensive mounts

I mounted my new Hawke scope on my Kral last night. I used cheap mounts of unknown quality. First shot was far low and far right. I then thought to swop the front mount around as I like my scopes to be optically centered as much as possible ( if that even matters with modern scopes? ).
    First shot, into the wall!!
    My question basically is. Would the difference in poi would have been far less if I swopped the front mount around if the mounts we're expensive quality mounts?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Most likely - a bit at least.
    Cheap crappy mounts tend to have terrible machining quality and do not line up well, especially if one is turned around.
    That said even high quality dovetail mounts generally need to be mounted the same way as there is a lots of variance in dovetail rail width and machining quality especially in the lower end guns.
    They are commonly not only machined slightly off line with the bore, but wider than normal - all of which exacerbates scope alignment issues, especially if you're adding to it further by turning around mounts etc.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    I used cheap mounts of unknown quality.
    What a surprise, buy cheap shit and get shit results.

Who'd of thought it?
    Last edited by Dale; 13-09-19 at 07:18.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Scope parallel to bore (in the vertical plane) and centred is obviously the goal.

Even the very best mounts in the business won't align the scope with the bore if the rifle's scope rail is out of alignment to the bore or if the rail's width is different, even by a few tenths, from what the mounts were made for.

Both the mounts AND rifle contribute to the end result. If the barrel is not aligned to the receiver or slightly bent or the bore not central or the rail misaligned in any way then you cant blame the scope mounts.

Almost all mounts (except BKL) clamp from one side and can only centre themselves over the rail if the rail width is exactly the same as what the mounts were designed for. As long as both clamps are on the same side, the scope should at least align parallel to the rail but with some small offset left or right. I.e. parallel but not necessarily centred. That's OK because you can deal with a small offset if you're methodical.
    But when you flip one mount around and clamp on the opposite side your scope is almost certainly no longer parallel to the rail or centred and your poi will increasingly drift sideways as the range deviates from the distance at which you are zeroed. This can also happen if the bore and mounting rail are not parallel (rifle problem).

Manufacturing is also an issue. If both mounts are not exactly the same dimensionally then there can be problems. So the precision with which the material is extruded, cut, machined and anodised also plays a part. One would expect finer tolerances and better matching of pairs from more expensive brands but a well matched pair of cheap mounts are going to be better than a poorly matched set of pricey ones.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Do a mount with these specs exists?
    Fully adjustable for windage and elevation
    Scope height adjustable
    One-piece mount ( For PCP rifles, to allow you to insert a pellet ) One piece mounts made for springers will not work on for example my Kral Jumbo.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Scope height adjustable
    One-piece mount ( For PCP rifles, to allow you to insert a pellet ) One piece mounts made for springers will not work on for example my Kral Jumbo.

Yes... The Sportsmatch ATP66.

I use them.

FANTASTIC! I even used them with my springer.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Yes... The Sportsmatch ATP66.

I use them.

FANTASTIC! I even used them with my springer.
    They are 2-piece mounts. But they seem great!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Burris Zigbee mounts offer a plastic ball like insert in 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20 moa offsets. You can then use them either in the one or both rings and can rotate the offset direction to match any misalignment. They also protect your scope.

Problem is finding them in this country.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

But why did u swap the mount around? Isn't it logical to zero the scope after you've mounted it? Before you try swapping scope mounts ect... But anyway no matter what mounts you use, if they not both clamping on the same side of the rifle the scope will not align with barrel, if you have a top view of the rifle you'll see it clearly, because of the offset of the mounts working against each other, you might even damage the scope by mounting the clamps on opposite sides

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Scope height adjustable
    Go to Rashaad and get a set of fully adjustable FX mounts from him, I got a set in the week, will mount them soon

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    Go to Rashaad and get a set of fully adjustable FX mounts from him, I got a set in the week, will mount them soon
    Do you have a model number? Do the come in medium hight?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Do you have a model number? Do the come in medium hight?

The Hawke mounts also seem very solid. They only adjust for elevation, but that's also OK. I have them on my HW 100