Thread: Pimp my Mora

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Pimp my Mora

My Morakniv blades are here!

They are the Classic No. 1 model and not as robust as the Companion (2mm vs 2.5mm thick). So no point in making a bushcraft style handle. I decided to rather stick to the simple, classic handle shape, something that has evolved in practice and has proven itself in woodwork for over a century.

Instead of using light birch wood and painting it red, I decided to use a mix of naturally reddish hardwoods.

The structural core is Bulletwood (Massaranduba) with a decorative back piece of black poplar. The "bolster" is a brass ring cut from an old medal and a piece of Milkwood. The name Milkwood conjures up images of pulpy fig-like wood but it could not be further from the truth. This stuff is insanely hard and dense enough to sink in water.

The side scales are made from bits of Australian Blackwood. When cut at a slight angle across the grain, it has the same characteristic as Mahogany of changing colour when viewed from different angles. It has much finer grain though and the pores are much smaller so.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I still need to cap the rear end of the handle and then it is ready for adding a final finish.

What type of oil is normally used?

I have sanded up to 800 grit but might need to go down a few grits to add more grip, given the lack of any front guard.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Always love reading about your projects.

Thanks!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Always love reading about your projects.
    Thanks Blud, it is always nice to know that an endeavour has provided inspiration or at least entertainment to someone else out there.

These small projects provide a nice confidence boost when the going gets tough on the big jobs.
    I will hopefully soon have something useful to update my solar kayak thread. The next race is in Dec and I have some very nice (i.e. bloody expensive) new hardware to be tested on version 1.2 and hopefully leave enough time to build version 2.0 from scratch for the race.

But back to the knife: I am very happy with how this handle has turned out so far, considering my crude shaping tools (hacksaw and flappy-disc grinder, one-handed).
    The brass has been given a quick buff with a leather strop. It took very little sanding effort to get the wood super smooth. This is it back to 320 grit, and not a drop of oil yet...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Another one, again with some Bulletwood and Milkwood but no other frills this time.
    The Bulletwood comes from decking planks, so with the limited thickness available I made the handle deeper.
    It ended up very much like the Mora Companion handle in size and proportion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Nice ergonomics there

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shakes View Post
    Nice ergonomics there
    That first knife especially so. The shape is based on the original Mora Classic which is a real workman's knife. The handle shape is pure form-follows-function and the result is such and elegant and simple shape.

I had accidentally taken off too much material on one side near the front so went and did the same on the other side to maintain symmetry. It nestles nicely between thumb and forefinger for slice cuts.