Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Noob questions

Hey guys

So I'm looking to buy my first pcp.

Still doing research on which. Will mostly be used for birds around the house and teaching the boys to shoot target before progressing to proper rifles.

Is a Silencer worth the money? Does it make that much difference?

What magnification scope is effective on a pcp?

Thanks

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Welcome TheoG,

Some PCPs like the Daystate are very quiet and others like a Steyr have a crack like a bullwhip to them. For your given application, you would need to shoot a silently as possible not to disturb the neighbours. You can call me anytime during the day and I may be able to find you a suitable solution.

Kind regards

Mike

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike. Will do!

Marksman

User Info Menu

It does however seem that most Daystate guns is way out of my price range....

Any other brands I could have a look at in the meantime?

Tia

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hi Theo

It all depends on what you want to spend, you will most likely end up spending much more than you even thought possible on a "cheap" setup. If i were you i would save enough to buy a complete setup from one of the members selling their rifle,scuba tank,scope etc. Then you could buy a reasonable rifle for a very reasonable price all accessories included.

Even a fairly small/"cheap" silencer on a sub 12fpe rifle should make it whisper quiet if the rifle is tuned not to waste air.

A fellow airgunner once told me there is no such thing as a "too big scope" on an airrifle. Buy the best what you can afford and if it is too expensive to buy now rather save and buy later. Many have rather bought the cheaper option because they want it now and later regretted doing so then end up buying what they should have in the first place. My starting choice would be something like a 4-12 x 44/50 with adjustable optics. Nikko Sterling are not too expensive

There are many new less expensive rifles on the market today that do not shoot too bad, these are normally not regulated and the point of impact shifts vertically from first to last shot, but is not too visible under 20m (SPA Predator). There are however unregulated rifles that can shoot quite a number of shots within 5 feet per second of the first shot. My friends unregulated Air Arms (i think S400) shoots one hole groups at 25m.

I have seen the new Beeman Chief for R4500 that is still basically a new design QB78/79 that has a HPA tube fitted instead of a regulated bottle. The rifle looks really well made, not sure how accurate it would be.

The best would probably be to shop around see what you fancy and read alot about the rifle, scope etc and then make your final decision.

Happy hunting
    Danie

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Danie.

Definitely considering a used kit that's has most of what I'd want in any case.

My intention to shoot around 30m so scope magnification should suit that for now.

Is there an advantage over hpa tube vs regulated bottle?

Also, can a Silencer be fitted to a non threaded barrel? Just cut thread as per regular rifle?

And lastly...... A regulated rifle I'll be the better choice? Will a regulated rifle automatic Aly not waste air? Innkther words be quite out of the box?

Marksman

User Info Menu

The rifle i was refering to originally could be used with a paintball Co2 cylinder attached under the barrel, it just looks awkward, but not uncomfortable (google QB79). It can be converted to High Pessure Air (HPa) by replacing the Co2 bottle with a regulated HPA bottle (also a lot about this on the net). The beeman has done away with the bottle and has a tube under the barrel like most PCP's, but it is unregulated. You could have a regulator fitted but then the rifle would probably cost as much as a better unregulated or regulated rifle depending on your budget. If you have R30 000+ that you don't need then you could buy the daystates, crickets and Fx rifles that are amazing to shoot with and for some of us totally out of reach to even consider buying.

If the front sight can be removed you could make a slip on adapter with thread to fit any silencer you want or simply make a slip on silencer. Or have it made if you do not have access to a lathe. The barrel can also be threaded.

Most rifles except for the very top of the range rifles do need some work done to improve on the efficiency, trigger and accuracy. If you want to tinker there are lots of videos and articles on the internet, or you could use the services of the many well known people/workshops on this forum.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

[FOR SALE] S400 ~ Air Rifle SA Forums

Or this one. 30m se moer, easily way past 50-60m

Marksman

User Info Menu

My friends rifle is a CZ 200 and not a AA S400 as i had stated, Both are very good deals

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Wow, opened a can of worms here
    Set yourself a budget, the go for the best buy
    Remember that you need a filling station as well
    I would have started with a CZ200/AA200 if I knew what I know now not the Hatsan AT44 (too heavy and bulky)
    The CZ is nice for round and about, awesome for kids, very accurate and quiet
    My CZ is for my grandson when he is able to shoot (5 now), I have many air rifles, but my "fun gun" is the CZ not my Priests or Impact
    Good luck with your choice
    J

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheoG View Post
    Hey guys

So I'm looking to buy my first pcp.

Still doing research on which. Will mostly be used for birds around the house and teaching the boys to shoot target before progressing to proper rifles.

Is a Silencer worth the money? Does it make that much difference?

What magnification scope is effective on a pcp?

Thanks
    Without knowing what you actual budget is, it is more difficult to make a solid recommendation, however having had a glance at the sales section on here I would concur that this rifle as previously mentioned by Keith is a good value for money purchase:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith T View Post
    It is capable of doing everything you need and much more and has an added benefit of not needing to be upgraded, unlike some of the cheaper offerings - rather buy quality first off and save money and annoyance down the road.

Just one thing - air rifles are 'proper' rifles just because they are lower powered and do not use a burning propellant do not think they are toys, if misused they are just as lethal as any other firearm.

A silencer is effective, especially on a pre-charged rifle. Air Arms make a very effective unit that is a slip on and grub screw locking fit to the barrel once the current muzzle end is removed.

As to scope, unless you are looking to go into full on FT shooting where a high mag scope is a pre-requisite for range finding, whatever size of scope you prefer will work. For a good all-rounder consider 3-9, 4-12 or 4-16 mag scopes to be very usable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoG View Post
    And lastly...... A regulated rifle will be the better choice? Will a regulated rifle automatically not waste air? In other words be quiet out of the box?
    A regulator is a device that is designed to ensure that each shot uses the same amount of air and gives a similar velocity.

They have pros and cons and are one extra item to require maintenance.

With the likes of the AA 400 series of rifles especially the 'classic' length cylinder these will give a very good shot count and shot to shot consistency without the need for a regulator.

A regulator does not automatically equate to a quieter shot discharge - the regulator pressure, barrel length and power setting will affect the muzzle noise.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Be realistic about costs and performance of a pcp.
    Performance wise : In SA there is no power restritction on air rifles with caliber less than 5.6 mm. So a lot of the rifles sold here will exceed the UK 12 ft.lb limit. This means most will shoot upwards of 800 f/s. We're not allowed to talk pest control on this forum but if you will be aiming at the odd moving target around the home there are some considerations. It is generally illegal to discharge an airgun within a built up area in SA. Your local bylaws will guide you. Secondly, you need to be sure where that pellet will end up. It can go well over 300 - 400m if it misses an elevated target. Risks are obvious if you're in a built-up area.

Price issues : for a pcp youll need a pump (R3k to R4k) or a scuba tank with fill station (R4k and up). You'll need a scope and mounts. R2k for an adequate cheapie but I'd recommend at least an etched (not wired) reticle and a side focus design rather than AO. That could push you to R4k to R5k for scope and mounts. Then you'll want a bag or case....and a rifle safe...and cleaning paraphernalia and a silencer. Now add the cost of the rifle. Later on you might want a bipod, sling, chrony, rangefinder.

For the kids to learn the rifle needs to be light with possibility of a shorter length of pull (removable butt plates). The CZ200/ AA S200 series are great for this and super accurate and 2nd hand kits come up regularly.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

JXV is right on the rules of the Forum and also the bylaws of each city. If you want a look at what is available then go to the Air Rifle Equipment for sale thread.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post
    BYou'll need a scope and mounts. R2k for an adequate cheapie but I'd recommend at least an etched (not wired) reticle and a side focus design rather than AO. That could push you to R4k to R5k for scope and mounts.
    I would say if your budget is more limited avoid side focus scopes.

On average, you will get better optical quality in a lower priced adjustable objective (AO) scope than with a more mechanically complex side focus.

Optical quality trumps gizmos all day long.