Thread: Out of the box stock

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Out of the box stock

I need some advice on oiling a out of the box Kral stock.
    They come out raw from the factory(as far as I know).

I recently did a custom stock, but with a out of the box one I starting to doubt myself and don't want to mess it up.

I want to use danish oil( have some available).

1. Should the 1st layer be diluted with turpentine?

2. For the inlet part of the stock- is the same process followed as the outside? Once a day×7... then once a week.....
    Or does this get less oiling?

Thanks for any feedback and advice.
    Hendrik

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

With Danish oil, you must think of it as a long-term investment.

Don't dilute it on the first application.

Apply generously so that the surface is WET!

Leave it to soak in for about 10 minutes and then wipe ALL of the excess oil off so that the surface is DRY! NBNBNB!!! Ensure that any chequering is DRY!

You can consider the inletting done at this stage.

Leave the stock to dry completely (2 days or so) and then start building layers and sealing filling the grain by:

Taking a fresh patch and put a SMALL AMOUNT of DO on... rub the stock down with it. Have enough oil on that you can see where you have applied it, but not so much that it looks wet. It must look and feel dry to the touch when you are done. Leave it to dry overnight before use.

In the case of DO... LESS IS ALWAYS MORE! The less you apply, the quicker it dries, and the better the end result. It takes a while, but if done properly, there is NOTHING that feels and smells better than a DO stock. I will use nothing else.

Addendum: Use some 0000000000000 (the absolute best quality you can source) steelwool between coats. give it a VERY LIGHT rub down before applying the coat. Make sure you wipe all the dry dust off before you apply more DO.

What is also helpful, is if you do the FIRST WET COAT with this steelwool. You can do this with a bit of weight to the hand.
    Last edited by Bludlust; 07-10-19 at 08:14.

Marksman
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thanks Bludlust for the feedback.

I did 5 layers of danish oil and am happy with the results.

Some before and after of the stock.
    I can recommend Danish oil - impressed.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Perhaps keep at it for another week (or 5) with VERY light coats? That wood looks like it has very open grain. The more you close the grain, the more 'alive' the stock becomes. It gets to a point where you almost 'look into' the wood, and the cross cut (tiger stripes) if any, appears.

It also smells wonderful.

Remember the 4 'P's with finishing a nice piece of wood. P...P...P...PATIENCE!

You can thank me later.

PS.... not very much more on the chequering!

REP: Tula!! Silencers

User Info Menu

Danish oil is not like normal oils in as much that because it has tung oil in it which hardens and seals the wood. I always do about 8 coats leaving it to dry for about 6 hours before giving it a light rubbing down with steel wool between coats. Danish oil should be thinned with white spirits which is the clear version of meths. The idea of the thinned down first coat is to get more penetration into the wood. After that an occasional rub down with a good wax wood polish would be all you need. Because Danish oil drys hard, continued application serves no purpose at all, Unlike Shaftol, you are not feeding the wood continually with Danish oil, so all the once a week and then once a month crap serves no purpose.

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Danish oil should be thinned with white spirits which is the clear version of meths.
    Erm...

No. Alcohol and oil are not compatible.

You may be thinking of MINERAL spirits, which is turpentine.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

White spirits is a term used differently across the world. In USA it refers to what is sold as 'benzine' in SA. It is basically raw unprocessed petrol without additives or workup to increase the octane rating. Don't confuse this with benzene which is carcinogenic and not so easily purchased.

In UK white spirits generally refers to mineral turpentine or turpentine substitute. True turpentine is distilled from tree resins, the cheaper substitute is made from crude oil.

Methylated spirits is alcohol that has been denatured by adding a bitter taste and / or colour so that it is no longer palatable (although desperation can make some palates less fussy). This makes it cheaper because it is then not subject to the duties applied to potable alcohol. Meths may also be less pure than drinking alcohol but it is still mostly ethanol and not methanol as some believe. Since it also contains some water it is unlikely to mix well with most oils.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I like to apply my Danish oil with 0000 steel wool.
    Comes out mirror smooth and helps to rub it in a little.
    I have never used wax or anything else over Danish oil, it is a whole solution by itself.