Thread: Slugs. Why?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Slugs. Why?

Hey guys.
    I had a quick look on the forum but can't seem to find an answer to this one.
    Why would someone want to use a slug in a sub .25 calibre rifle? is it for the hyper velocity guns where it "might"? have more stability than a skirted pellet at transonic or supersonic speeds?
    Whats the purpose of slugs for small calibres? ie sub .25

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Higher ballistic co-efficient. They lose less speed between muzzle and target. The shorter flight time (compared to pellet shot at same MV) and the lack of a skirt means that they are deflected less by wind and the wind has less time to act. So ultimately, they are potentially more accurate and hit harder at longer ranges than a pellet fired with same muzzle energy.

On the downside; they are more spin stabilised and less drag stabilised than a pellet so although your pellet barrel can fire them they'll usually do better in a dedicated barrel with more twist and no choke
    Last edited by JXV; 14-10-19 at 13:59.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Ah ok. Makes sense. So potentially more suitable to the ridiculous hyper velocity guns? (not that I have one. Just curious)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

More for hunting I think.......

Going supersonic with them would degrade accuracy although maybe not quite so much as with pellets.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I personally dont get this slug thing at all - The air rifle slugs cost more than 22 lr bullets for a start- For half the price of a FX Impact you can buy a high end 22 target rifle and and still have 15 k left over for ammo- with sub sonic 22 ammo and a moderator a 22 lr is just as quite as 60 plus foot pound air gun - 40 grain bullets at 120 foot pounds reach out futher and are just as accurate- I shoot air rifles because its cheap and fun- if I want to shoot futher I just use a 22 lr - but each to their own but Im happy with my air guns shooting pellets at normal pellet gun ranges

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
    I personally dont get this slug thing at all - The air rifle slugs cost more than 22 lr bullets for a start- For half the price of a FX Impact you can buy a high end 22 target rifle and and still have 15 k left over for ammo- with sub sonic 22 ammo and a moderator a 22 lr is just as quite as 60 plus foot pound air gun - 40 grain bullets at 120 foot pounds reach out futher and are just as accurate- I shoot air rifles because its cheap and fun- if I want to shoot futher I just use a 22 lr - but each to their own but Im happy with my air guns shooting pellets at normal pellet gun ranges
    Many people are not willing to go through all the trouble and slep of the licencing process. Maybe if licences can one day be for ever, like in the past with the old green licences will people go for it
    But you are correct. Eley subsonic hollowpoints for example (the JSB's of .22lr ) are just so accurate and consistent at any range, that it makes so much sense to rather get a .22 rimfire. Good quality CZ rifles can be bought secondhand sooooo cheaply.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

@Seadog

Yes, what you say makes perfect pragmatic sense. Except, there are among us, windmal airheads, pneumatically motivated, card carrying airgun nuts for whom "just another tool" does not stir the blood. For most of us it's a hobby, not a job.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I am with Seadog on this one, I have a 22lr and hardly shoot it, my air rifles are used frequently, maybe i am just one of those airheads, but I just enjoy shooting airguns at airgun ranges, maybe up to 100m. Also enjoy the tech that goes into a top end airgun like Daystate or FX and the build quality.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
    I am with Seadog on this one, I have a 22lr and hardly shoot it, my air rifles are used frequently, maybe i am just one of those airheads, but I just enjoy shooting airguns at airgun ranges, maybe up to 100m. Also enjoy the tech that goes into a top end airgun like Daystate or FX and the build quality.
    What about a good springer?
    I have a passion for them and have sold all my PCP's.