Thread: Diana 4.5cal ID

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Diana 4.5cal ID

Hello All,

I have an old Diana that i am struggling to ID - model and year of manufacture.

I bought it in 1977 with my meager pocket money - I can't recall how much but less than R10 at the time.

The old thing was pretty battered even then and old for its tiime.

There are a few screws missing and the barrel "over closes" - i.e. it closes past the point that would allow it to be in a perfect line with the rest of the spring cyclinder; it thus points upwards slightly.

It shoots well but is not very powerful - I suspect due to piston cup wear and an old spring. I will strip it soon and am sure that the reasons for the "over-closing" will become evident as well as whether i can rejuvenate the cup with oil. But given the condition and probable low value, it may not be worth spending money on a new spring. The stock is marked and ugly......I keep it only for sentimental reasons - although my daughters recently discovered the fun of target shooting and so we take it on holiday to a friend's farm and shoot at cans and bottles, much to their delight!

For now I would appreciate any help with a model number and a year of manufacture.

Thanks

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Diana Model-23 by the looks of it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If it is a Diana mod. 23 it must be pre 1968. The '68 model had a slide on the rear sight to adjust for distance. It cost R26 from Garbs in Rosettenville.
    Last edited by MoistEk; 17-10-19 at 15:21.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Pics of a british 23

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    Diana Model-23 by the looks of it.
    The good doctor knows his stuff.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks gents!

I will follow up using that model number.

The confusing thing for me was that all the other model 23 pics I have seen - including the ones posted here by your good selves - show the model number on the spring tube with the picture of Diana. My old plinker only has the picture of Diana and the name - but no model number engraved anywhere. But possibly they

So that is what I find on the web for model 23; mine looks like this though:

Possibly they changed it intermittently.

Thanks for the input. I will search the web for diagrams and see if it conforms to the model 23.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thank you both; your info led me to a series of searches starting with "Model 23" and using a combination of both Image search and All search, that culminated in the following information:

Diana's were made in both the UK and Germany (Mayer & Grammelspacher)
    Germany produced Diana's from 1890 to 2014 (they were bought out by another company)
    The logo used was slightly different in each country.
    The rifles from the 1930's tended to have 3 numbers stamped on the stock - the first being the month and the next two being the year. Prior to 1930's the same three number set was stamped on the underside of the breach.
    There are some other interesting facts too - I have written them down on a document that I can send to anyone interested.

The crux is the following:
    My rifle is a German Diana Model 25, manufactured in February of 1927 (so the numbers are 2,27).All the relevant specs/identifying marks of the rifle bear up with the descriptions found - the most telling being the length of exactly 97cm.

So....I have a 92 year old springer that I have been plinking away with, unaware of its somewhat advanced age! It now makes sense that it looked old when I bought it in 1977 - it was already 50yrs old.
    I think that It will be sympathetically restored and retired to my safe.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Please do restore it, the spring in easy to change and not too expensive. If you put it in the safe, do not forget it is there, takes it out now and then and shoot it. It is good for the moving parts. My 23 has been de-varnished and looks great. As you may know, plenty of us tend to do this, I believe varnishing by the manufacturer is done to keep the stock looking fresh, but if the rifle is looked after, the varnish serves no use.

Please do post before and after pics of the restore process.

Best regards, Keith
    Last edited by MoistEk; 19-10-19 at 13:35.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith.

I will definitely post pics once I have finished. Do you have an idea of where the best place would be to buy a new spring in the Western cape?

Also, what do you do after de-varnishing, to prevent the timber from changing its moisture content as the weather/humidity changes?
    I live on the southern cape coast, where humidity levels vary greatly from week to week and even day to day - even indoors.

Thanks and regards,

Garth

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MoistEk View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone have a rear sight like this lying around?
    I need it to restore my childhood pellet gun for my son...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Garth ,

I am in JHB, so clueless about air rifle shops in WC for a spring, but I am sure someone of the forum can help. Post a new thread regarding your intention and also search the forum regarding such. Best of luck with the project.

Best regards , Keith

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone have a rear sight like this lying around?
    I need it to restore my childhood pellet gun for my son...
    If you can get to Hot Power in Krugersdorp, try them. Once you have restored your childhood gun you will not want to give it to your son ! Buy him a cheap Gamo to play with.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks! Will call them and see what they can do and also do a search locally - the local gunshop may have a few leads.