Thread: Relum telly 4.5 cal

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Relum telly 4.5 cal

Hello,

I recently bought a "Telly-Jelly" cal 4.5. It is in overall good condition - nice finish on the stock and only a little bluing required on the spring tube.The rest of the working parts show almost zero signs of wear and no play between moving parts. It is missing a screw on the stock and a front sight.

Can anyone tell me what model it is? I suspect that it is a Telly-200; what years were they made and are there any distinguishing marks to help date it?

I have attached pics to help with ID.

It shoots well enough but lacks power; I will strip it soon and oil the piston cup.....but I suspect that it needs a new spring. Is it worth spending money on? What should my overall spend (purchase price plus parts) be?

Ideally I would like to get an old Webley Mk1 (fantastic quality I am told) or a more modern 5.5mm Cal (maybe Gamo?) for plinking with, but this will do for now. My daughters and I enjoy target shooting on a friend's farm with tins and bottles as targets.....no hunting....yet!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

These had a dual spring (one inside the other) , if you change the spring, some recommend a single spring, someone technical on the forum may have advice.

Is yours difficult to cock in relation to the power ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hello MoistEk,

Thanks for your comments; I have seen that opinion elsewhere on the web - so it may have some credence. I read somewhere that the BSA Meteor spring was almost identical. I was also tld yesterday at a local gun shop that there is a spring company in Cape Town that will make any spring one requests. I can see that this would be relatively easy for them - the spring length, wire thickness and no of coils is easy to replicate - but how does one specify the strength though? There are bound to be different grades of spring steel. I will inquire anyway, just to get an idea of price.

The gun cocks easily and smoothly, with no hooking or mishaps between breaking it and locking it. I have interpreted this as being because the spring is worn and has lost its power - but maybe they just never had much power anyway?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi 63,

I never thought of spring steel quality ! But it may be best just to go with the Meteor spring. I also know from car racing that springs can be made 'stronger' by some kind of heating/cooling process, but they tend to break or lose tension very quickly. Did you look at my post titled Super Telly (deli Jelly) Started by MoistEk, 10-10-19 08:21