Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safari Outdoor Air Arms Challenge 2020

REP: FaTT Boy Silencers

User Info Menu

Default Safari Outdoor Air Arms Challenge 2020

I thought this might be of interest .

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17/'19

User Info Menu

This has got to be one of the worst “marketing” exercises I have seen in a long time.
    There is absolutely zero info on the event ie caliber restriction, power levels, format etc.
    Also, as far as I know Eeufees doesnt have benches ??
    Best part of it all, you can put your name on a ‘pre-entry’ list as entries only open in January 2020.

Major face-palm

User Info Menu

I understand more information will be released in December's issue of Man Magnum's.

# Voodoo I cant answer you questions on next year's shoot, but I can share with you how awesome this years gong shoot was. The shoot was held on a farm just out side Delmas and the air rifle section was organised by Jackie of Bushill. Jackie had the shoot running like clockwork and even had the latest Air Arms air rifle available for guys to use.

Thirty 50 mm gongs were set out over 6 courses between 18 and 88 m. Air rifle allowed on the day 4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 mm and there was a chap shooting a springer who won a dam fine spotting scope.

If I remember correctly 4.5 mm air rifles were capped at 1050 fps and 5.5 mm to 1030 fps and only pellets could be used.

Each range had a range officer and a shooting card indicating the distances of the gongs. At each range you either sat, kneeled or lay down on a mat to shoot the gongs, no bench rests.

This shoot had a total prizes valve of R 10 000 and even had a lucky draw. I understand next year the total prize valve is R 60 000. I saw first hand what a first class shoot Jackie of Bushill put on I cant wait for next year

Cadet

User Info Menu

Sounds like a lot of fun. May be worth looking into.

User Info Menu

Not knocking the competition at all, would like to setup a rifle for this, but have no idea what to do.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Maybe buy the new MAGNUM?

User Info Menu

June 2019 Gong Shoot.

Shooting Venue

Safety Briefing

Typical Range & Distance Card

Typical Shooting Positions

Top Gun - ( Man with no name)

This guy can shoot, I think he shot a straight and I hope he attends to defend his title.

Prize Giving

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Top Gun/Man with no name lyk soos Piet Skiet se Daystate?
    As dit Piet homself was dan maak dit sin dat hy skoonskip gemaak het.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanG View Post
    Maybe buy the new MAGNUM?
    Fantastic advice, only I have a subscription to the magazine, adverts in the November issue is contradictory to the December issue and neither of them has any kind of useful information. I can send you copies if you haven't seen them yourself?

User Info Menu

You can pre-enter now by emailing your name and contact information to : info@so.co.za

Official entries will open in January 2020.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    I have a subscription to the magazine
    You have admiring trust in the ZA postal system.
    I admire and support the local shops that still keep my favorite mags on the shelves and grab them mags long before anything actually arrives in my lonely post box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    You have admiring trust in the ZA postal system.
    I admire and support the local shops that still keep my favorite mags on the shelves and grab them mags long before anything actually arrives in my lonely post box.
    Had a good chuckle about trusting the postal system. As much as I still enjoy having the paper magazine in my hands, all my subscriptions have been converted to digital copies, only thing that manages to make it to my mailbox is e-toll statements

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Digital reading is one place where I refuse to adapt to new age goodies. The marvelous smell of a fresh new book or magazine in dead tree technology is tops!

Anyways so I have the December edition in hand (sniffed it, aaah..) and you are right, not much more info on the topic than what they said in the November edition. I can only assume that the event would be for higher powered rigs only as trying to hit a 70mm dia 'gong' at 88m will be quite a feat with a sub 12fpe FT rig. Yes it certainly can be done by some however competing against the uber high powered wind buckling bazookas out there would be silly and a little unfair wouldn't it.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DSF View Post
    Digital reading is one place where I refuse to adapt to new age goodies. The marvelous smell of a fresh new book or magazine in dead tree technology is tops!

Anyways so I have the December edition in hand (sniffed it, aaah..) and you are right, not much more info on the topic than what they said in the November edition. I can only assume that the event would be for higher powered rigs only as trying to hit a 70mm dia 'gong' at 88m will be quite a feat with a sub 12fpe FT rig. Yes it certainly can be done by some however competing against the uber high powered wind buckling bazookas out there would be silly and a little unfair wouldn't it.
    Jou Priester sal die rook uit daai gong skiet op 88m.

User Info Menu

# DSF - At the last gong shoot, Jackie had the following divisions, for the guys to compete in:

1. PCP 4.5 mm
    2. PCP 5.0 mm
    3. PCP 5.5 mm
    4. Springers
    5. Juniors

Having spent sometime chatting to Jackie of Bushill and Andre Grobler of Man Magnum at the shoot, I trust that they will once again, put on a shoot that is fair to all (maybe having a 4,5 mm sub-division 12fpe).