Thread: Gamo magnum 2000 5,5mm

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Gamo magnum 2000 5,5mm

Good day all. Is There anyone out there that can provide me with any info whatsoever on the Gamo Magnum 2000 (particularly the .22/5,5mm). Approximate year of manufacture, developmental history, quality, accuracy etc.All info will much appreciated.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

The only info I can give you on the gun is...

DON'T!

This based on your 'quality' and 'accuracy' criteria.

I am being a bit facetious here, but magnum springers tend to break scopes and hearts, and buyers get suckered by the 'power' thing.

Also, GAMO are not worth the money, even if your budget is small, and TCO ends up higher than the initial price promise (that's if you want to put huge effort in, to get it shooting reasonably well).

Rather save and INVEST in a Weihrauch HW80 springer, if you are intent on a 'power springer'. Or do more research and get more advice on what to buy from this forum.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would normally agree with Blud on this sort of issue, but, the rifle known as the Gamo Magnum 2000 was actually one of their better offerings.

I doubt this model is still in production, but as the name implies they were made around 2000 and replaced the earlier Magnum. I am guessing the Hunter 440 replaced it.

Despite the 'Magnum' name these were closer to 12 ft.lbs rifles rather than the stupid power offerings seen nowadays.

They were decently made - all steel and wood construction.

If the price is right and it is good condition, it would be a respectable entry level air rifle.
    Last edited by Dale; 26-11-19 at 13:39.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Gamo 2000 .22

Thanks Dale. It's in beautiful condition and last night I pulled the spring, cleaned up the compression tube, re-lubed the piston and stuck in Gamo gas ram - same as the one Paris put in my CFX Royal some years ago. It's as tight as the day it came off the production line, seals are still great and I've smoothed the trigger out a bit. I'll try chrono it this afternoon but I'm not expecting ridiculous velocity. How do I calculate the ft/lbs energy?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

If it was me I would put the spring back in it, but machine up properly fitting rear guide and front top hat rather than sticking a gas ram into it.

Adding a trigger blade such as the GT3 or the version Nicholas Yale made up would be a better investment into this rifle.

Muzzle energy in ft.lbs is calculated with the following:

(Velocity x Velocity) x Pellet Weight / 450240 - where velocity is in feet per second and pellet weight is in grains.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice. Where can one obtain a GT3 or equivalent trigger in SA? Who would you recommend to do the spring work. The spring is still as straight as The day it was installed.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

GT3 equivalent version was made by Nicholas Yale as I recall.

Try searching on this forum as I am sure it got discussed.

As to making guides - got access to a lathe? I would make them myself if you have the equipment available, otherwise any competent machinist can make them.
    Last edited by Dale; 26-11-19 at 14:39.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale, I'll start with Nicholas Yale and see where that gets me. I tried importing some GRTlll triggers from the UK but finally gave it up as a bad job. Ridiculous exchange rate and import duties and in the end Royal Post would have nothing to do with it as air rifle triggers are on the same level as crack cocaine.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lake View Post
    Thanks Dale, I'll start with Nicholas Yale and see where that gets me. I tried importing some GRTlll triggers from the UK but finally gave it up as a bad job. Ridiculous exchange rate and import duties and in the end Royal Post would have nothing to do with it as air rifle triggers are on the same level as crack cocaine.
    Go to Kevin @airvolution he can sort it all out for you

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Kuberboef. I'll definitely give him a shout.