Thread: Suggestions please - Scope for long range shooting

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Suggestions please - Scope for long range shooting

Hi Gents,

As the title suggests I am in the market for a long range shooting scope.

I have a Huben K1 which I am currently setting up with various slugs(trial and error) in an effort to shoot long range.

I am not a hunter, not HFT shooter either, I just shoot for fun. - but may well get more involved with club shooting in future etc.

I would say my budget is around 10k. - I could be persuaded to go higher

I have a 6-24 Hawke sidewinder FFP mounted on my FX crown which may be limiting me when I start reaching out further. - cant see my groups etc at very long ranges?

What are the key features I should be looking at for a long range scope?I guess that the zoom would be very important when reaching out far so I am guessing a 10-50 or so would be what I should be looking at.

Heard good things about the BIG nicko's - Is this the scope I should be pursuing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

PS, please don't make this thread about the gun, although I don't mind comments (I might upgrade it in future but for now it will be my slug shooter)

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have a Nikko Diamond 10-40 on my HW100.

Very nice scope and a fine(ish) reticle for the long distance targets. Speak to Rashaad.

For a Gen 2 Falcon 10-50 speak to Cor
    Last edited by Bludlust; 27-11-19 at 12:53.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Blud,

Is there any reason you would suggest these over a Big Nikko?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just one extra thing to bear in mind, the high mag target scopes tend to have a smaller adjustment range, so consider factoring in a quality set of adjustable mounts if you go this route.

My current favourites for use on a Weaver/Picatinny rail are the Burris Signature Zee Rings with the offset inserts - simple, strong and very effective.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestion Dale,

Would a set of FX no limit mounts do the trick?

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    Thanks for the reply Blud,

Is there any reason you would suggest these over a Big Nikko?
    I have assumed that your 'long distance' would be around the 100m mark. Price is in your budget with the Diamond.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Here is an article in the 100m shooters webpage, their take on long range scopes - https://www.100mairgun.nl/page/100m-richtkijkers.aspx

However have a look at their results page to see what the top guys are using - https://www.100mairgun.nl/category/W...esultaten.aspx

I use a Falcon 4 - 18 x 44 FFP and find it more than adequate.
    Last edited by AndyT; 27-11-19 at 21:22.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Not having seen or tried these mounts I would not want to endorse them without any experience of them.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I have Falcon X50 scopes @ R14500. You will not get anything better at close to that price. At 100m you can see what you are aiming and hitting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    I have assumed that your 'long distance' would be around the 100m mark. Price is in your budget with the Diamond.
    Well... Gregor was able to shoot a golf ball at 242 yards in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1vqi9z3tg4&t=3s

I intend to replicate this so you can assume I am talking way further than 100m. say a max of 250m?

In the video(at around 13:30), Greggor says that his 35x Mag could barely see the groups he was putting on the board. Damn good groups I might add - Based on this I recon a 50x mag should be fine.

Please keep these distances in mind for scope suggestions. - I have heard some 50x mag scopes are unable to shoot past 100m and are built for HFT?

Thanks Guy's

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Gents(and ladies?),

Can I ask for opinions on a Nikko Sterling Hornet ED 10-50 x 60 scope please.

Thanks

Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Well... Gregor was able to shoot a golf ball at 242 yards in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1vqi9z3tg4&t=3s

I intend to replicate this so you can assume I am talking way further than 100m. say a max of 250m?

In the video(at around 13:30), Greggor says that his 35x Mag could barely see the groups he was putting on the board. Damn good groups I might add - Based on this I recon a 50x mag should be fine.

Please keep these distances in mind for scope suggestions. - I have heard some 50x mag scopes are unable to shoot past 100m and are built for HFT?

Thanks Guy's
    Not to sound harsh but...

Well then, you have a bit of a dilemma.

Obviously an 80X March would do the trick.

More realistically, you would need to have excellent quality glass, as a 50X scope with shit glass is like having Kylie Jenner at the drive-in, but she's your cousin.

The minimum, based on your inferences, would be something like a Sightron 10-50 x 60. You could probably get a second hand one at some stage if you wait a bit for around 15K.

Having said that too, I see no real point in shooting golfballs at that extreme distance with an air rifle... long-term, esp. if there's a large capital outlay having to be made just to be able to see the target.

Rather Check out Cor's new Falcons too. Japanese glass... very nice. And you will have a new scope. And you will be able to use it for FT when you get bored of 'pointless' shooting/plinking.

Good luck.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

I have one and love it.

Gents(and ladies?),

Can I ask for opinions on a Nikko Sterling Hornet ED 10-50 x 60 scope please.

Thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestion Dale,

I have a set and they work magic even on a springer.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

I'll avoid comments on the scopes, but to shoot at 250 yards with a pellet gun is going to frustrate you very quickly. Even for centerfire rifles its hard to consistently hit a golf ball at 200m, but at least you have a 70% chance of a first round hit. With a pellet gun, your chances are probably less than 1% to make a first round hit.

I was a Krokodilspruit the other day with my precision built 6mm XC centerfire and next to me was a guy with a 30 caliber pellet gun, shooting home made slugs at high velocities. He was checking groupings at 100m. There was a fairly strong wind. He said his goal is to hit the 8inch steel plate at 500m with that rifle. I didn't want to laugh, because he is so passionate about what he was doing and the amount of effort that he put in to get to it was admirable. After he finished his ammo trying to hit a 10inch plate at 200m without success, I gave him 5 shots with the 6XC at 500m. I told him what to hold for the wind and he managed 3/5 hits. This gave him such joy and after I told him the what ballistic advantage is between the 6XC and his pellet gun I think he realised that his goal will only be a dream.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but if you can't shoot with at least a 50% hit probability, its luck at best. You'll find much more joy shooting smaller targets at shorter distances.