Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: SPA / Artemis PR900 pcp opinion?

  1. #1
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default SPA / Artemis PR900 pcp opinion?

    Hi people.

    I want to get my first pcp rifle, specifically in .177 for target shooting. I want to participate in 10 meter, and perhaps occasionally an absolute maximum of 50 meters range with air rifles, but I don't actually have thousands to spend on a top quality pcp gun.

    I found the SPA pr900 from blades and triggers for a reasonably good price and I want to know if any of you had experience with it? would it be a good target rifle? I'd rather ask before I buy and I still have some time to save some money, but I really can't break the bank even if I had months to save.

    any advice?
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  2. #2
    Sharp Shooter

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Hi, what is your budget? Can get awsome rifles secondhand
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  3. #3
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Rashaad had a special on the predator not too long ago
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  4. #4
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    There are some hidden gems in the cheaper air rifle sector, but often it is a case of you get what you pay for.

    Personally, I would look to hang on and increase my budget to get a better rifle to start with and, as mentioned above, looking in the second hand market can offer more kit for your money.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  5. #5
    Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

    SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    There are some hidden gems in the cheaper air rifle sector, but often it is a case of you get what you pay for.

    Personally, I would look to hang on and increase my budget to get a better rifle to start with and, as mentioned above, looking in the second hand market can offer more kit for your money.
    This is why he is....

    'THE PROFESSOR!'
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  6. #6
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah, I think I'll save up instead, no idea what my end budget will be. 10k? 15k? either way, the gun must be regulated.

    probably gonna have to save for a year... ah well.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  7. #7
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    You don't have to go very expensive. I bought an unregulated S400 Classic from someone on the forum for R7k and it shoots like a dream.

    At this very moment, I love that rifle more than my kids.

    == Edit ==

    If you look in the classifieds boneyard there was a Walther LGU (ex Blud) rifle that Hiluxman wanted to sell. Contact him and see if he will still part with it.
    Don't need a dive tank, filling station etc to go with it.
    Last edited by Phats; 28-11-19 at 12:06.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  8. #8
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phats View Post
    You don't have to go very expensive. I bought an unregulated S400 Classic from someone on the forum for R7k and it shoots like a dream.

    At this very moment, I love that rifle more than my kids.

    == Edit ==

    If you look in the classifieds boneyard there was a Walther LGU (ex Blud) rifle that Hiluxman wanted to sell. Contact him and see if he will still part with it.
    Don't need a dive tank, filling station etc to go with it.
    That made me chuckle more than I should have....

    how would you say unregulated rifles are? can they still be shot with 1-ish-hole accuracy at a max of 50 meters (I know the cz200 can at 30m)? I specifically want it to do precision target shooting at short ranges to mid ranges.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  9. #9
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    incidently. Neonsales and Outdoorpitstop have some of the Artemis on Sale for a very good price for black Friday.
    I have a regulated Artemis P15. Love it to bits. i will at some point in the future upgrade the regulator to a Huma regulator. but for now its just fine.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  10. #10
    Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    That made me chuckle more than I should have....

    how would you say unregulated rifles are? can they still be shot with 1-ish-hole accuracy at a max of 50 meters (I know the cz200 can at 30m)? I specifically want it to do precision target shooting at short ranges to mid ranges.
    I certainly can't do 50m 1-ish-hole. Maybe someone more experienced and skilled.
    In the short time that I've been shooting again, I've realized that the person behind the rifle is the biggest factor.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  11. #11
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speedfox_2002 View Post
    incidently. Neonsales and Outdoorpitstop have some of the Artemis on Sale for a very good price for black Friday.
    I have a regulated Artemis P15. Love it to bits. i will at some point in the future upgrade the regulator to a Huma regulator. but for now its just fine.
    I'll check them out, but I think I'll rent the club's gun before I buy. that way I can have time to see what I really can and cant get and what I like and dont like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phats View Post
    I certainly can't do 50m 1-ish-hole. Maybe someone more experienced and skilled.
    In the short time that I've been shooting again, I've realized that the person behind the rifle is the biggest factor.
    Agreed. by what I said, I meant if the rifle was rested perfectly (certainly not something I could do just yet, someone else probably could)

    what you say is true. a bad shooter behind a great gun will shoot worse than a great shooter behind a bad gun... the best combination though will be a great shooter behind a great gun.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  12. #12
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    how would you say unregulated rifles are? can they still be shot with 1-ish-hole accuracy at a max of 50 meters (I know the cz200 can at 30m)? I specifically want it to do precision target shooting at short ranges to mid ranges.
    A regulator is not some magical mystery item.

    All it does is supply a measured dose of air to be released to propel the pellet.

    This can have a benefit of:

    1. Increasing the number of shots from the reservoir of compressed air - more beneficial on small reservoirs.
    2. Tightening shot to shot velocity consistency.

    However, there is no guarantee that a regulator improves accuracy, or put another way, a regulated rifle with a crap barrel will shoot more crap shots per fill than an unregulated version, a downside is that it is something to go wrong - usually at the most inconvenient time.

    It comes down to having a good barrel with good ammunition.

    A rifle such as the S400 with the classic length cylinder will shoot a good number of highly consistent shots with pinpoint accuracy, without the need for a regulator, the carbine length version will give less shots as the reservoir of air is smaller.

    However, the standard S400 in classic or carbine format is probably not the best choice for a primary 10 metre rifle (as you mention in your original posting), for the 10 metre application the S400 MPR or the CZ200 would be a better entry level choice.

    Bear in mind 10 metre rifles tend to be 6ft.lbs (~8 Joules) muzzle energy, the lower power means a big step up in shot count as less air per shot is needed to give the required velocity.

    But for outdoor shooting up to 50 metres i.e. FT or similar then a 12ft.lbs (16 Joules) rifle is better suited.

    Unfortunately, it does come down to there is no one rifle that will be ideal for all applications.

    Your best bet is to visit clubs and find out which avenue you wish to pursue then purchase accordingly, but don't rush into something because it is cheap and avoid buying gimmicks.
    Last edited by Dale; 28-11-19 at 12:46.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  13. #13
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    A regulator is not some magical mystery item.

    All it does is supply a measured dose of air to be released to propel the pellet.

    This can have a benefit of:

    1. Increasing the number of shots from the reservoir of compressed air - more beneficial on small reservoirs.
    2. Tightening shot to shot velocity consistency.

    However, there is no guarantee that a regulator improves accuracy, or put another way, a regulated rifle with a crap barrel will shoot more crap shots per fill than an unregulated version, a downside is that it is something to go wrong - usually at the most inconvenient time.

    It comes down to having a good barrel with good ammunition.

    A rifle such as the S400 with the classic length cylinder will shoot a good number of highly consistent shots with pinpoint accuracy, without the need for a regulator, the carbine length version will give less shots as the reservoir of air is smaller.

    However, the standard S400 in classic or carbine format is probably not the best choice for a primary 10 metre rifle (as you mention in your original posting), for the 10 metre application the S400 MPR or the CZ200 would be a better entry level choice.

    Bear in mind 10 metre rifles tend to be 6ft.lbs (~8 Joules) muzzle energy, the lower power means a big step up in shot count as less air per shot is needed to give the required velocity.

    But for outdoor shooting up to 50 metres i.e. FT or similar then a 12ft.lbs (16 Joules) rifle is better suited.

    Unfortunately, it does come down to there is no one rifle that will be ideal for all applications.

    Your best bet is to visit clubs and find out which avenue you wish to pursue then purchase accordingly, but don't rush into something because it is cheap and avoid buying gimmicks.
    I'm honestly glad you sent this message.

    also, Isn't the cz200t a 800 fps rifle? so about 10 to 11-ish footpounds?

    edit: I just checked, it's a 7.5 joule gun. Guess i'll try to save up for an mpr s400
    Last edited by Umbra; 28-11-19 at 14:32.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  14. #14
    Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    also, Isn't the cz200t a 800 fps rifle? so about 10 to 11-ish footpounds?

    Unless something has changed they are offered in both formats - a 6ft.lbs target rifle and 12ft.lbs rifle.
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums

  15. #15
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Unless something has changed they are offered in both formats - a 6ft.lbs target rifle and 12ft.lbs rifle.
    Ah shucks, I see now. the CZ 200t version and the CZ 200s version. I presume the CZ 200s version is the 12 ft.lb version... well damn, thanks for reminding me that there's two versions
    Sign Up To Air Rifle SA Forums


Similar Threads

  1. Artemis GR1600W 5.5mm opinion please
    By head shot in forum Airgun Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-02-18, 11:39
  2. EXPIRED: SPA / ARTEMIS P15 PCP Bullpup
    By Rashaadk in forum Outdoor Pitstop Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 15-09-17, 13:35
  3. EXPIRED: SPA / ARTEMIS PP700
    By Rashaadk in forum Outdoor Pitstop Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 31-07-17, 20:18
  4. EXPIRED: SPA / ARTEMIS P10
    By Rashaadk in forum Outdoor Pitstop Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-07-17, 18:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Friends of Air Rifle SA