Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPA / Artemis PR900 pcp opinion?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Everything is relative, one persons Rolls Royce is another's work horse. It all depends on what you want to spend and what your expectations are. if you want to be able to consistently shoot MOA at 50m then the PR900w Predator may not always make the cut. If you enjoy working on or improving the rifle more than shooting it, buy something that can be improved on like the Predator ( there is a fellow member who has modded one into a fairly good target rifle for his daughter) or QB78/79 ( i love them)

Buy the best you can not afford If you want to take part in competition shooting, in my experiance it always ends in me over spending on a hobby as soon as the competitive bug takes over. Saying that, no hobby is ever cheap.

If you really want something that is perfect from the get go, you should wait and check the for sale section till something comes up that is really worthwhile. Read read read as much as you can about the rifles you are interested in, There will be many different reviews/views for every rifle.

My opinion (wich does not really matter) is that i would rather buy something i can easily afford as well as afford shooting it and repairing it when needed. If i bought an expensive rifle and i don't get to shoot it for a month or two i would consider selling it (there are many rifles sold just because the person doesn't get time to shoot). I have cheaper rifles that have not cost me an arm and a leg and a lung, they do not bother me, if i get time to shoot, great. If i don't get time, great. If i have a bad day shooting, i don't get upset with myself or my rifle. If i had an expensive rifle i would start by blaming the "damn expensive rubbish" instead of just accepting that bad days happen, because it should be able to shoot sub polony slice ctc at paces.

I would so much love to own an FX like Matt Dubber shoots with at insane distances or one of the electronic Daystate rifles. But to me they are the Rolls Royce's that are just too far out of my reach. If these rifles start giving problems (that they probably won't) i would not really want to do the repairs myself and would rather have a professional do the work (at a premium obviously) I love being hands on and prefer having something that i understand and know how it works and how to work on it.

Bottom line ( after my ramblings), everything is relative
    Happy hunting
    Danie

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Man with no name View Post
    E( there is a fellow member who has modded one into a fairly good target rifle for his daughter) or QB78/79 ( i love them)

Yes the PR900 should be OK as a 10m rifle with modifications, reducing the power to the 6ft.lbs level is going to put the operating components under lower stress and increase the shot count dramatically.

At 10m most of the cheaper air guns should be able to give a credible performance. It is when you push the distances out towards 50m that the differences between mediocre and quality will show up.

The QB78/79 rifles are another of those under rated air rifles that perform above their price bracket.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Marksman

User Info Menu

Whelp, guess my mind is made. Not gonna get the pr900 anymore, but rather the pr600 just to sate my multishot cravings at 10m indoors and then when I've saved up I'll buy myself something more credible like the cz200 or something similar. it'll give me time to think too, do more research.... and the price of the cr600 is so cheap, even with co2 cartridges That I might as well have one as a plinker (no amount of rifles are too many... well... kinda...)

though... I'm probably gonna take it apart on the first day I get it. make sure there are no burrs and stuff around the transfer port and... for the second main reason, just because taking something apart is a sort of trial for me. Honestly love doing it.

So yeah, hey, I really appreciate you guys' inputs! like a lot, so thanks again! also, sorry for my earlier behavior.... just kinda... setting that out there too.
    Last edited by Umbra; 18-12-19 at 02:20.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just one thought for you if you decide to strip it down.

From my own experience with one of the PP700W pcp air pistols, the o-ring seals in it are not of great quality, otherwise it is a decent little gun for the price I paid in the UK (149 so roughly R2800 at current rates).

Next time I strip it I am intending to go through it and replace all the o-rings with better quality items, I would be inclined to suggest the doing the same with the PR600 as a matter of course.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Just one thought for you if you decide to strip it down.

From my own experience with one of the PP700W pcp air pistols, the o-ring seals in it are not of great quality, otherwise it is a decent little gun for the price I paid in the UK (149 so roughly R2800 at current rates).

Next time I strip it I am intending to go through it and replace all the o-rings with better quality items, I would be inclined to suggest the doing the same with the PR600 as a matter of course.
    Coolness, thanks! Yeah, I'll check out the seals and see if I can order some spare seals, can't have too many of those ey.