Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: JSB pellets - Problem with accuracy

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default JSB pellets - Problem with accuracy

Hi All

I recently got a Weihrauch HW97K in .177 which I guess is still breaking in.

Ive had a collection of different old pellets in the cupboard which Ive been testing in the rifle.

At first groupings with all pellets were pretty bad - on par with my Gamo CF-30, but they seem to be tightening up now. An old tin of H&N match and a tin of H&N Baracuda Heavy seem to give the best results.

I had read about how great JSB exact in 8,44 grain are, so I ordered three tins. I was looking forward to incredible accuracy as Im only shooting at 15 meters.

Boy was I shocked!

When I fired those JSB pellets, they were terrible - some shots missed the page at 15 meters. I dont know how this is possible, but what I did notice is that the JSB pellets are incredibly loose inside the barrel/pellet chamber. They almost "fall in" so to speak. I think this might be the issue? All the other brand pellets including the Gamos make a very tight seal in the gun.

The lid on the JSB tin says 4,5mm but the sticker on the bottom of the tin says 4,52 but I honestly dont see how that can be true seeing as how loose the pellets are. They seem to be undersized.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Heres a sample target with my best JSB grouping, the Gamos did really well on this one for some reason but I dont usually get this kind of accuracy from them.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

yes ive had this issue with other rifles. not the 97 but others. you get a 4.53 as well which should group tighter. you just have to experiment a little to see which are best. i THINK(not 100% sure but same brands also make a 4.54 as well.
    also unless you get the competition grade hand sorted pellets which cost $$$$ they vary slightly in diameter between 4.50 and 4.54 . JSB and the various other pellet makers sell a pellet test pack. Im not sure if Pellet Pusher has them. But i think Riaan from outdoorpitstop might have some.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Speedfox, but I gotta say - after this experience I feel like it might be wiser if I stay away from JSB. Im getting better results with "cheap" Gamo pellets at this point.

The H&N pellets worked very well, but like I said they are from old tins. Im keen to try some new H&N pellets, Ive heard their Field Target are good in the HW97K?

Maybe I just got unlucky with a bad batch of JSB Exact. Luckily the seller was nice enough to allow a return and refund after hearing my troubles.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I use Gamo pro match in my pistols EG SPA CP-2. They work very nicely, best bang for buck at close range. I also like the H&N field targets they worked very well in my H97K. at the moment my Artemis P15 seems to like JSB's so using those.
    Every rifle is different. could be 100 different things making it not like the JSB's, but at end of the day go with what works. Even if el Cheapo pellets.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scope View Post
    I feel like it might be wiser if I stay away from JSB. Im getting better results with "cheap" Gamo pellets at this point.
    Maybe I just got unlucky with a bad batch of JSB Exact. Luckily the seller was nice enough to allow a return and refund after hearing my troubles.

Just goes to show, even a well respected manufacturer such as JSB can have a 'bad day' and the likes of Gamo do occasionally produce something decent.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys.

I really think its a bad batch of undersized JSB pellets. I wish I could demonstrate how "easy" or loose the fit is when they go into the pellet chamber.

What I want to know is if this is normal for JSB Exact, as its my very first time trying them. Or are they normally supposed to be a tight fit?

The H&N pellets make a good tight, smooth seal and fit when loading them. The Gamo pellets are mostly a good fit, but not as smooth and every now and then I seem to get a loose one. The Gamo pellets produce a lot more flyers than the H&Ns do.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My HW97 shoots very well with the JSB Exact 4.52 and slightly better with the 4.53. Results may vary with different batches and rifles.
    None of my pellets fit loose in the breech.

I have also tried JSB 10.34gn Ultrashock and these shoot surprisingly well too...but obviously a bit slower.

H&N FTT and Baracuda not as good in my rifle.

A new HW97 tends to have too much grease from the factory and will diesel for the first 500 shots or so if you don't clean it sooner. Also the barrels arrive quite dirty and need cleaning. But these issues would affect ALL pellets.

Try a different batch of JSB before giving up them. Most unusual.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

What I want to know is if this is normal for JSB Exact, as its my very first time trying them. Or are they normally supposed to be a tight fit?
    'Fit' is going to be a combination of both the pellet and your barrel.

Generally JSB are a good fit in the barrels on my rifles, but, it is not unheard of for there to be a batch that is less than perfect.

I wouldn't say avoid them, rather try a tin and if good note the batch number then buy as many as you can from that batch.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks JXV

A total noob question, but do you have any pointers on the best way to clean the barrel on an HW97K? And when you say "clean it" do you just mean the barrel or the action as well?

From the small amount Ive read on this, there seems to be real conflict out there on whether to clean or not to clean, and how to go about it.
    @Dale, thanks - good advice on trying a different tin of JSB and seeing if I have better luck with a different batch

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Thanks JXV

A total noob question, but do you have any pointers on the best way to clean the barrel on an HW97K? And when you say "clean it" do you just mean the barrel or the action as well?

From the small amount Ive read on this, there seems to be real conflict out there on whether to clean or not to clean, and how to go about it.
    @Dale, thanks - good advice on trying a different tin of JSB and seeing if I have better luck with a different batch
    My humble opinion:
    Whenever I get a new rifle, used or out the box I clean the barrel first. Gunning for hair splitting accuracy is all about consistency. So start with a clean barrel. Lead being a malleable metal acts as a lubricant so every pellet you fire will leave traces of lead behind, the barrel metal being harder than lead. With inferior barrels this could be an advantage since lead build-up will smooth over machining imperfections resulting in more 'accurate' or consistent barrels. Problem is, it's impossible to tell the exact amount of lead build-up which makes it a factor of inconsistency. So I prefer to start clean. To do this I use methylated spirits, a weed eater cord folded in half, flannel or similar lint-free fabric squares and a lot of elbow grease. With well used second hand rifles you'll find that after 50+ pull through's the tell-tale grey lead residue stops and changes into reddish/rust residue. When that happens you've worked through the lead layer and onto the actual barrel metal which inevitably, having been sealed in with moisture by the lead layer, rusted with time. Once the pull through's come out clean, you are ready to apply a VERY thin layer of gun-oil or light machine oil. I usually apply oil on the pull through then follow up with one clean pull through. Now I choose the specific pellet type and after about 5 shots start testing for accuracy. When pellet types are changed I start with a clean barrel again since lead/tin composition of pellet types differ.

With a new springer you have to take the 'dieseling' factor into consideration, that is a mini explosion taking place in the compression chamber when oily/greasy residue is severely compressed and ignites. This results in an extra 'boost' and high flyers accompanied by a loud bang and smoke coming from the barrel, you'll also smell it. I'd say on a Weihrauch this will totally be eliminated after about 200 shots. You could take a shortcut by removing the excess piston lubricant by stripping the rifle, but honestly, let it be unless you have the right tools (spring compressor etc.) and the know-how else you'll end up with a butchered rifle and perhaps less a finger or two.

If you only plan on plinking you could ignore the barrel cleaning ritual, the difference only becomes noticeable when you shoot competitive for accuracy with sized, weighed and washed pellets lubricated afterwards.

My personal experience is that Daystate barrels like to be clean, and they prefer 4.53 pellets.

Push the folded weed eater cord through barrel from crown end, thread flannel through the loop, apply few drops of spirits and pull through.
    Last edited by DvdM; 28-11-19 at 17:17.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks for the awesome, detailed information DvdM. This is incredibly helpful.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks JXV

Clean the barrel. I don't go to the extremes that DvdM describes but on a newish HW97 barrel that has not been cleaned you will likely get some dirty oily/waxy residue on a tight cloth pullthrough.

For HW97 it can be difficult to thread the nylon cord through the 'silencer' . You can unscrew the end cap with (IIRC) a 7mm allen key.
    I use a loop of fishing line and patches as previously described. You can also get pull-throughs for .177 which have a small weighted end that you feed in at the breech. I have one by RAM. It has a brass brush built in which, in my opinion, could be a bit more abrasive than is necessary. So I don't use it much.

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JXV View Post

For HW97 it can be difficult to thread the nylon cord through the 'silencer' . You can unscrew the end cap with (IIRC) a 7mm allen key.
    I use a loop of fishing line and patches as previously described.
    I use a plastic drinking straw, the thick ones made for milkshake to get the cord throigh to the barrel crown past the air stripper.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Some rifles and or barrels like certain pellets more than others. This is not a bad pellet or brand its just what the rifle likes.

This is why we all test pellets.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

If I may add, I've had some better and some worse batches of JSB pellets during my FT shooting experience. I've never had any pellet shoot as bad as your JSB pellets. There is clearly something wrong. The worst I've ever had (and I've probably shot at least 100000 JSB's) is that some group well and then 1 or 2 out of 10 are flyers sitting about 2 pellet widths apart from the group. When I batch test, I try find a batch that doesn't shoot flyers. An average batch of JSB's should shoot the grouping you got with the Gamo pellets at 40m, a great batch can achieve that group at 50m.

I also recommend to shoot with a clean barrel, some barrels are sensitive to fouling, others not. The other thing is to not try to shoot them supersonic. Best results are usually achieved at under 900ft/s. In FT we shoot under 800ft/s with awesome accuracy.

But, if the pellet is so loose in the barrel that it can fall through, it is not normal for JSB. There is almost no difference between 4.52 and 4.53 pellets. Your rifle should be able to shoot both very well. If you don't get this sorted, come to me, I'll give you some other batches of JSB that you can try. If you want I could try your batch of JSB in my rifle.

As I've said, I've had great batches of JSB and some average batches of JSB, but never a really bad batch that wouldn't hit a 15mm killzone at 30m.