Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JSB pellets - Problem with accuracy

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks JXV
    @DvdM - Out of interest, can one use Nitrosolvent on the patches instead of Meths?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Total SS, I hear you point and I totally agree that different pellets will perform differently in your rifle. But the results I got from the JSB pellets is way past poor performance - it was bordering on completely random. I definitely think there was something wrong with that batch as Im sure a 4.52mm pellet should not fit that loosely
    Last edited by Scope; 29-11-19 at 16:16.

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

Only use WD40, no solvents.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeinriBrink View Post
    If I may add, I've had some better and some worse batches of JSB pellets during my FT shooting experience. I've never had any pellet shoot as bad as your JSB pellets. There is clearly something wrong. The worst I've ever had (and I've probably shot at least 100000 JSB's) is that some group well and then 1 or 2 out of 10 are flyers sitting about 2 pellet widths apart from the group. When I batch test, I try find a batch that doesn't shoot flyers. An average batch of JSB's should shoot the grouping you got with the Gamo pellets at 40m, a great batch can achieve that group at 50m.

I also recommend to shoot with a clean barrel, some barrels are sensitive to fouling, others not. The other thing is to not try to shoot them supersonic. Best results are usually achieved at under 900ft/s. In FT we shoot under 800ft/s with awesome accuracy.

But, if the pellet is so loose in the barrel that it can fall through, it is not normal for JSB. There is almost no difference between 4.52 and 4.53 pellets. Your rifle should be able to shoot both very well. If you don't get this sorted, come to me, I'll give you some other batches of JSB that you can try. If you want I could try your batch of JSB in my rifle.

As I've said, I've had great batches of JSB and some average batches of JSB, but never a really bad batch that wouldn't hit a 15mm killzone at 30m.
    Thanks for the generous offer HeinriBrink, its awesome to see what a nice community there is on this forum.

Ive already sent those "bad" JSBs back to the seller for a refund. But I'll definitely try another batch of JSB at some point.

When you say an average batch of JSBs should group like the Gamo pellets at 40m - what rifle is that with? A PCP or a springer?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hang on a minute... somebody else suggested Methylated Spirits. Meths is a solvent.

On the cleaning issue, from what Ive read on forums and articles there seems to be no consensus on what the best way to do this is and what can be safely used. Some people swear by regular cleaning, others say NEVER clean an air rifle.

Whats the general feeling here in South Africa?

Protea FT Team '14/'15/'16/'18
    National FT Champ '14/'15
    WFTF Master

User Info Menu

That is with a PCP (Steyr LG110). I clean the Steyr barrel every 50 to 100 shots. If you don't, you get flyers. I also own an S400 from Air Arms, that barrel has never been cleaned at it shoots perfect. It depends on the barrel.

With the cleaning, I only use WD40, no solvents. Don't pull any metal cable through the barrel. Only use nylon string, any thick fishing line folded in half is perfect.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I won't put that weasel piss anywhere near my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Scope View Post
    When you say an average batch of JSBs should group like the Gamo pellets at 40m - what rifle is that with? A PCP or a springer?
    They can shoot like that in either type of rifle, whether the shooter can achieve that.....................................

Some people swear by regular cleaning, others say NEVER clean an air rifle.
    I generally do not go overboard on barrel cleaning unless I find the accuracy isn't what I am used to.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Steyr uses WD40 in the factory to clean their barrels, in fact Steyr recommends only using WD40 to clean your rifle. I have been using it for a few years now and it works perfectly. Like Henri said, NEVER use anything metal to clean the barrel like a steel cable or copper brush. Every barrel is different, some like cleaning, others don't, you have to test your rifle rifle to see what it likes.
    On the JSB pellets, I have used various batches and even the worst batch will outperform the best batch of any other brand.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Haha, thanks for that colourful comparison Dale!

This kind of proves my previous comment about the lack of consensus on air rifle cleaning. Within a few posts there are suggestions of Meths (a solvent), then dont use solvents, use only WD40, dont use WD40, a Steyr thats cleaned every 50 - 100 shots and then an Air Arms barrel thats never been cleaned.

Why would regular nitrosolvent be a problem in air rifle barrels? We used to clean .22 rimfire barrels with it at high school and then pull a dry patch through to remove any excess. Surely an air rifle barrel is similar to the barrel of a real firearm? And if the solvent is removed then there should be no issues?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Steyr uses WD40 in the factory to clean their barrels, in fact Steyr recommends only using WD40 to clean your rifle. I have been using it for a few years now and it works perfectly. Like Henri said, NEVER use anything metal to clean the barrel like a steel cable or copper brush. Every barrel is different, some like cleaning, others don't, you have to test your rifle rifle to see what it likes.
    On the JSB pellets, I have used various batches and even the worst batch will outperform the best batch of any other brand.
    It looks like I must have had a faulty batch then Cor. Have you seen the target I posted at the start of this post? The Gamos did better than the JSBs through a HW97K.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Steyr uses WD40 in the factory to clean their barrels, in fact Steyr recommends only using WD40 to clean your rifle. I have been using it for a few years now and it works perfectly.

Good marketing strategy!

Sell more rifles (and spares) when the WD40 residues f**k up the originals.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Why would regular nitrosolvent be a problem in air rifle barrels? We used to clean .22 rimfire barrels with it at high school and then pull a dry patch through to remove any excess. Surely an air rifle barrel is similar to the barrel of a real firearm? And if the solvent is removed then there should be no issues?
    The problems can arise with where the solvents can go.

On a bolt action .22 you just have a fairly simple tube to clean, a good many pcp's have an annoying little transfer port and seals the latter may not always react favourably to solvents and transfer ports can lead to sensitive mechanisms which again may not like solvents getting in them.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale, interesting point. I suppose if any solvent gets into the action of a springer that would also spell trouble?

But in my mind, if I were to use a solvent to clean the barrel, it would be tiny amounts on a patch, followed up with a clean/dry patch. After that any leftover solvent would evaporate very quickly surely.

Out of interest, what do you use to clean barrels? Or are you in the "never clean it" camp?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As stated above I don't clean unless it appears there is a need.

I have used the VFG felt pellets for light cleaning, I also have a pull through which I can use with a small cut patch and I have an Otis cleaning kit that fits both my firearms and airguns if something a bit more involved is needed.

I don't tend to use any heavy duty solvents on the airguns as they generally don't need it, I find just a very small amount of light gun oil is ample on cleaning patches.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Good marketing strategy!

Sell more rifles (and spares) when the WD40 residues f**k up the originals.

I have not heard of, or experienced any Steyr in SA that had its internals get fucked. Never, and most of the SA shooters, or at least the top ones use WD40 to clean their rifle's barrels. But please, don't listen to anything Heinri or myself tell you about rifles or shooting, we know nothing.