Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JSB pellets - Problem with accuracy

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scope View Post
    Thanks JXV
    @DvdM - Out of interest, can one use Nitrosolvent on the patches instead of Meths?
    Nitrosolvent's main chemical purpose is to dissolve gunpowder residue, not a worry in air rifles. Also, it might not be o-ring friendly. I use meth spirits since part of the barrel fouling is pellet-lube buildup and also because it is so volatile, by the time I get to shoot the rifle after cleaning it has evaporated from all nooks and crannies it might have gotten into.

Protea FT Team '19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    The Sultan of Spring 2017

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HeinriBrink View Post
    Only use WD40, no solvents.
    Agree 100%. If WD40 isn't at hand when I'm cleaning my barrel, I'll substitute Fluid Film for the WD40.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I won't put that weasel piss anywhere near my guns.
    Interesting comment. So the product that a major, respected, well-accomplished manufacturer uses in-house and recommends to its international client base is "weasel piss".

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Good marketing strategy!

Sell more rifles (and spares) when the WD40 residues f**k up the originals.
    Now you're just talking outright bollocks. No Steyr (or other brand, for that matter) has ever gotten its "originals f**cked up" from WD40.

Back on topic:
    The only time I've ever seen JSBs shoot as badly as in the picture posted was when the wrong caliber pellet was used (a 4.5mm pellet in a 5.0mm barrel ... @Edradour, memba?) And seeing as how the other 4.5mm pellets shoot decently (so the caliber isn't the problem) my conclusion is that the tin of JSBs you had were damaged. The majority of bench and FT Proteas shoot JSB pellets; they wouldn't do so if the pellets were junk. Get another tin and try that.

IME, my HW97 really liked the JSB Express pellets. These were 4.52mm pellets and didn't fit as tight as the 4.53mm Exacts.

H&N and Crosman are known to be a "harder" pellet and therefore feel tighter going into the barrel, even though they're all marked as 4.52mm.

As for cleaning, my FT rifle likes to have its barrel cleaned about every 500 pellets (I can notice the accuracy decreasing after a tin), but I also had an S400 that didn't care if I cleaned it or not - it shot brilliantly either way. You'll need to decide when / if to clean based on your experience with your rifle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark_F, those are some great points and thanks for bringing us back on topic.

It must have been a typo - I think Dale was referrring to WP40 (Weasel Piss 40) not the WD40 we use here in SA.... hehe. Sorry couldnt resist that one.

On the calibre - I definitely have a .177 calibre HW97K. I will try another tin of JSB as Ive only heard good things about JSB through a Weihrauch. I must have just gotten really unlucky. The pellets looked perfect though, there was no bending or damage. They were by far the cleanest best formed pellets Ive ever laid eyes on which is why I was so shocked by that random grouping.

I think Im going to hold off on cleaning for now, I'll see if the rifle settles down on its own. The groupings seem to be getting tighter the more I shoot it and its been about 200 - 300 pellets now. I really want same hole accuracy from it, especially at 15 meters.

@DvdM, good point about the Nitrosolvent - I hadnt thought of that. We used to use it back at school with some steel wool to remove rust from the outside of rifles as well as down the barrel with a patch and rod, so I had assumed it was just to remove corrosion and lead build up.
    Last edited by Scope; 30-11-19 at 16:15.

Sharp Shooter
    WP HFT/Springer Champ '16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DvdM View Post
    My humble opinion:
    With well used second hand rifles you'll find that after 50+ pull through's the tell-tale grey lead residue stops and changes into reddish/rust residue. When that happens you've worked through the lead layer and onto the actual barrel metal which inevitably, having been sealed in with moisture by the lead layer, rusted with time.

With a new springer you have to take the 'dieseling' factor into consideration, that is a mini explosion taking place in the compression chamber when oily/greasy residue is severely compressed and ignites. This results in an extra 'boost' and high flyers accompanied by a loud bang and smoke coming from the barrel, you'll also smell it. I'd say on a Weihrauch this will totally be eliminated after about 200 shots. You could take a shortcut by removing the excess piston lubricant by stripping the rifle, but honestly, let it be unless you have the right tools (spring compressor etc.) and the know-how else you'll end up with a butchered rifle and perhaps less a finger or two.
    This step to me is critical - I have encountered this "brown" layer on all of my Weihrauchs - even those bought new. I have read various viewpoints on this layer - some seem to think it is a rust inhibitor that is factory applied. But whatever ,it must be removed.
    DvdM's method is pretty much the same as mine, I do however use the "lead removal cloths" sold in gun shops as pull throughs for a first time clean.

Also a tune by Jaco (JacoWP on the forum) is not a bad idea.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_F View Post
    Interesting comment. So the product that a major, respected, well-accomplished manufacturer uses in-house and recommends to its international client base is "weasel piss".

Go and do some research on WD40 and its use on guns.

There are those that think it is great and other who don't. Some gun makers recommend it, others do not.

From my own experience I am not enamoured with it for using on guns.

As a water displacement product it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Last edited by Dale; 02-12-19 at 13:08.

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

On the calibre - I definitely have a .177 calibre HW97K. I will try another tin of JSB as Ive only heard good things about JSB through a Weihrauch. I must have just gotten really unlucky. The pellets looked perfect though, there was no bending or damage. They were by far the cleanest best formed pellets Ive ever laid eyes on which is why I was so shocked by that random grouping.
    You will probably find your gun likes the 4.53 JSBs.

Also, I don't know how experienced a (springer) shooter you are, but random groups and confusion are a fact of life with even the best guns, if you don't do the right things at the right time. Check YOURSELF (technique etc.) before you check the gun.

Another VERY critical factor for tight groups with a spring gun is your trigger setting. You need to have the right balance between weight and break, otherwise you will struggle with consistency. Factory triggers are set for safety rather than shooter goals.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bludlust View Post
    Also, I don't know how experienced a (springer) shooter you are, but random groups and confusion are a fact of life with even the best guns, if you don't do the right things at the right time. Check YOURSELF (technique etc.) before you check the gun.

Very valid points, however, basing upon the photograph of the relative group sizes, I would suggest that his technique probably isn't the problem as the results with JSB are dramatically adrift from those with the other pellets tried.

Marksman

User Info Menu

As far as DW40 and O-rings go, if everyone has their opinion it is time we settle this for once and all, take a container fill it (or just spray some in) with WD40 and put some O-rings in there and see for yourself what happens. Leave it for a week, month or longer and see if the O-rings disintegrate or what happens. Put a few different rubbers in there, normal ones and Nitrile and any other type that can be had freely at BMG or wherever you buy O-rings.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
    As far as DW40 and O-rings go, if everyone has their opinion it is time we settle this for once and all, take a container fill it (or just spray some in) with WD40 and put some O-rings in there and see for yourself what happens. Leave it for a week, month or longer and see if the O-rings disintegrate or what happens. Put a few different rubbers in there, normal ones and Nitrile and any other type that can be had freely at BMG or wherever you buy O-rings.
    Then use Ballistol as a control.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Seeing as though we are on lubricants and cleaners - what is a good oil to use as a protective film on the outside of the rifle after a day of shooting? Im talking about something you could use on a rag to give the rirfle a wipe down to get rid of fingerprints and sweat etc... Just to be clear, Im talking about external metal surfaces only.

Ive read Q20 or WD40 is fine, but some posts mentioned it attacks the blueing? In my mind just a simple oil makes sense? I went to a gunshop and they gave me a free sample of some "Trisil" gun oil, but Im assuming because of the name "Tri" there is probably more than just oil in it?

Does anybody have experience with "Trisil" as a wipe down, external oil? What else is commonly used here in SA?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I just use a simple gun oil, but applied very sparingly to a cloth and just give it a wipe over, you don't want it dripping wet with oil.

If the rifle has got wet I will remove the stock and make sure it is dried off thoroughly first.

Be a touch cautious with oils on woodwork as some mineral oils can cause damage to the wood.

Marksman

User Info Menu

This is what I use to wipe my rifles down after a days shoot. I have an untreated Polygon barrel on my STEYR and it prevents rust.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks Dale, that makes absolute sense to me.

@wetfrong - thats an interesting product. Im assuming those are available here in SA?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yes I bought it at Milnerton market. R5 each.

Protea FT Team '16/'18
    National FT Champ '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours'15

User Info Menu

As jy net 15m skiet en Gamo werk vir jou, gooi hulle, ek skiet net JSB maar as H&N of Gamo beter werk hoekom nie