Thread: Economically priced plinking pellets. Has anyone tried these, are they any good?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default Economically priced plinking pellets. Has anyone tried these, are they any good?

I'm looking around for well made, cheap plinking pellets to use when I'm feeling more like playing around in the garden than going for exact hits on every shot. Cost is the main factor here but accuracy needs to be decent too, so the pellets need to be of a reasonably good quality. My source for these pellets lives in Johannesburg area and will send them to me (a non airgunner unfortunately). So far I've only been able to find the above brand via google search, for R91 for a tin of 500. Does anyone here have any experience with this brand of pellets, or have any suggestions that I could look at? I will be using them in a spring air rifle that shoots at about 13.5-14 foot pounds and usually does well with pellets in the 7.9 grain to 9~ish grain range..

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

To be honest, I haven't even heard of that brand before.

As always you would tend to get what you pay for in terms of pellets so I wouldn't expect miracles from them, but for short range plinking most cheaper pellets will be OK, besides there is little point in spending a shed load of cash on ammo to ventilate beer cans and the like.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sisuphos View Post
    https://www.airrifle.co.za/imagestor...m85grain-1.jpg
    I'm looking around for well made, cheap plinking pellets to use when I'm feeling more like playing around in the garden than going for exact hits on every shot. Cost is the main factor here but accuracy needs to be decent too, so the pellets need to be of a reasonably good quality. My source for these pellets lives in Johannesburg area and will send them to me (a non airgunner unfortunately). So far I've only been able to find the above brand via google search, for R91 for a tin of 500. Does anyone here have any experience with this brand of pellets, or have any suggestions that I could look at? I will be using them in a spring air rifle that shoots at about 13.5-14 foot pounds and usually does well with pellets in the 7.9 grain to 9~ish grain range..
    I use Umarex Mosquito's , they are a bit light but fine for plinking, and are at lease symmetrical. Gamo Hunter or Match can be found under 80 rand if you look around, not too bad either.

- - - Updated - - -

And I forgot to say, those General pellets are not good, cash converters sells them, and they are over-priced for the poor quality.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Those look like really cheap stuff from the East but your guns will show you how good or bad they really are so worth the R91 gamble at least.
    I use the Gamo Pro-Hunter and Pro-Magnums for plinking stuff and for their price they perform amazingly good out of most of my rigs.

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

They ("General") are China made pellets, not a brand per se, they will slap whatever name you want on the packaging if you order enough from the factory.

There is also the Argentinian made Apolo brand in that price range: [EXPIRED] Apolo pellets ~ Air Rifle SA Forums Maybe Rashaad can shed some light on the quality.

Slightly off topic; if you have pellet data to share please consider submitting same to the online database so that it may become a better resource: Help Out - Airgun Pellet Database

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Sisuphos,

For good value for money and great accuracy, almost as good as JSB and H&N, give Crosman a try. Imo they beat anything from Gamo or the far east.
    You can get them in cardboard boxes of 1250 pellets per box.
    Check with Rashaad at Outdoor Pitstop if or when he'll have stock again.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fucius View Post
    Hi Sisuphos,

For good value for money and great accuracy, almost as good as JSB and H&N, give Crosman a try. Imo they beat anything from Gamo or the far east.
    You can get them in cardboard boxes of 1250 pellets per box.
    Check with Rashaad at Outdoor Pitstop if or when he'll have stock again.
    Thanks will do so. Hopefully the per-pellet cost goes lower with that many pellets in a box..

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    To be honest, I haven't even heard of that brand before.

As always you would tend to get what you pay for in terms of pellets so I wouldn't expect miracles from them, but for short range plinking most cheaper pellets will be OK, besides there is little point in spending a shed load of cash on ammo to ventilate beer cans and the like.
    It generally seems that paying a bit more saves a lot of time and frustration, and probably actually saves money in the end.
    I was really hoping that someone had come across cheap pellets that don’t need hours of sorting and resizing to be useful- time better spent shooting. I will definitely look at the Gamo Pro Hunters that have been suggested above. I have been unfortunate to learn some lessons from cheaper brands like the two to the left in the picture (on the extreme left is an Indian made brand, the middle is Chinese, Marksman are made in England).

These boxes frequently either contain misshapen and completely unusable pellets that have to be discarded, (which then means that the per-pellet cost comes up to about the same as buying a good brand!) Or the tin will contain pellets of several drastically different weights requiring sorting into maybe 5-7 bunches; so a tin of 200 could produce 40 pellets of 7.5 grain, 15 pellets at 10.2 grain, 28 at 8.5 grain and so on, not good for seeing where your gun is shooting.
    The Marksman pellets are easily the most usable of these 3, the Marksman’s all weigh the same in a box and there have the fewest deformities (maybe 10 max per 200 as opposed to sometimes 40 plus in either of the other two). They do however come in a few different head sizes in the same box, so the need for sorting for size isn’t eliminated.
    As an aside, thinking about this just now has made me wonder how can anyone get away with making pellets that that don’t shoot well, are not uniformly made, don’t all weigh about the same in a box and need a thorough wash to be shoot ready. It’s a funny old world…

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

From these pellets price class. Geco wins hands down, accurate upto 20meters easily.
    General are "SPA" pellets, not so consistent but okayish for plinking.
    Gamo is a hit and miss, some batches are good, sometimes not.
    Apollo seems better than gamo in consistency, but geco keeps no.1 spot for plinking or target shooting(depending on distance).

Marksman

User Info Menu

When you shoot at something, I would think the aim is to actually hit it, and to save a few bucks on inferior pellets makes no sense to me. There are enough other factors that come into play, just get good pellets. They are not that much more.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

When all you are doing is plinking at coke tins at 10m, the brand of pellets used are immaterial. Might as well use the cheap and nasty stuff. Save the good stuff for serious target shooting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

To each his own, but shooting tins cans at 10m is much more fun with a kettie than an air rifle. And that is exactly what I do with the cheap air rifle pellets left over from childhood.

I believe that pellets should match the accuracy potential of the airgun. If your idea of a satisfying shoot is sending as many pieces of lead in an approximate down range direction at large targets, then the Agrimark special 1000 fps plastic Gamo with cheap pellets should do just fine.

If marksmanship however is involved, the quality and balance of the accuracy chain (rifle, sight system, trigger, pellet, shot placement, and the marksman) far outweighs quantity. Ten quality shots bring much more joy than a hundred dubious shots.
    Plinking at 5cm targets over 10m with a V sight HW30 using economic Geco pellets equals the satisfaction of shooting at 2cm targets over 45m with a HW97 using the best pellet for that air rifle.
    For me, shooting time is simply too valuable to waste on the dissatisfaction that cheap pellets will bring.
    Last edited by kettieklip; 27-12-19 at 07:40.