Thread: tin vs lead vs copper plated vs copper pellets

Marksman

User Info Menu

Default tin vs lead vs copper plated vs copper pellets

Hi guys.

I just recently got a pack of 200 tin pellets (h&n baracuda green) for the heck of it and they shot fantastic groups from my air rifles (6.5 or 7mm, maybe 8mm ctc at 14 meters if I measured right with my calipers, and depending on how much im shaking)
    I am wondering though, would tin cause more wear on the barrel's rifling than lead? or would it do about the same as lead (almost nothing)?

That question also got me thinking of copper plated and solid copper pellets... hell, i've even heard of aluminium pellets (ouch... won't touch those... )

How would a rifle's barrel (or rather, the rifling) fare against those overtime as well?

I ask this because the tin pellets im shooting now are pretty much my favorites because of their accuracy and every so slightly harder... well, hardness... they dont flatten and spald out like lead pellets do, so for my pellet trap they are ideal (lead pellets spald like crazy and sends fragments out the front and any small hole in the trap.... not good for indoor shooting. at all. then again, its a cheap trap, so... heh...)

I dont plan on shooting at far ranges with them, but I dont want to iff up my rifles' rifling with more packs of them if they cause damage either.

thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by Umbra; 12-01-20 at 19:28.

REP: Outdoor Pitstop
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

HAM had a write up about lead free pellets

A Look At The Future Of Lead Free Pellets

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashaadk View Post
    HAM had a write up about lead free pellets

A Look At The Future Of Lead Free Pellets
    Hi! Thanks for the reply and the link!

I have read that link, I think the day before yesterday...? it's a really nice read actually and has a lot of info in it especially touching on the tin oxide which I guess is my only concern now... but I just want a few more opinions though, just for my own sanity.