Thread: Hand pumps and 300 bar

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Hand pumps and 300 bar

It gets quite difficult to pump my Ranchero up to 220 bars. Now with rifles that accepts a charge to 300 bars, how have hand pumps kept up? Do you get hand pumps that pumps to 300 bars with the same level of effort that older pumps used to pump to 200 bars? Or must you be Rambo's younger brother.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The sensible people use a tank.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    The sensible people use a tank.
    I have a tank. But my local shop never fills it over 200 bars, so very quickly I cannot completely fill my rifles. Therefore the hand pump.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    I have a tank. But my local shop never fills it over 200 bars, so very quickly I cannot completely fill my rifles. Therefore the hand pump.
    The reason may be that you have a 200bar tank. If this is the case the dive shop is never going to fill it to a higher pressure and you may want to consider buying a 300bar tank (a 6 liter or 6.8 liter tank will suffice) which will alleviate your problem.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyCal View Post
    U will have to speck to ur local shop. Most dive tanks are 220bar plus. Unless u have a old aluminum one

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
    U will have to speck to ur local shop. Most dive tanks are 220bar plus. Unless u have a old aluminum one
    I totally forgot how many bar mine is. Is a Faber. It is more than 200, but for sure not 300 bar.

Guys, my original question please
    Do a 300 bar hand pump, pump to 300 bar as easy as a 200 bar hand pump pumps up to 200?
    I do not talk about the number of strokes required, but the effort required when you start to reach 300 bars.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have been told that hand pumps are a lot of work. So nt to sure. Might be harder to get it to 300 as it a high pressure.

SAFTAA FT Colours '18/'19
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Filling your rifle to the max is overrated unless you are going far away from your tank and are shooting a tremendous amount of shots or your rifle is something like a 50 cal.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by africansky View Post
    Filling your rifle to the max is overrated unless you are going far away from your tank and are shooting a tremendous amount of shots or your rifle is something like a 50 cal.
    Agreed 100%

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

300 bar is approx. 3kg weight/force per square millimeter. That's how hard you have to press on the pump plunger with each stroke. So depending on the diameter of the pump's piston and adding a bit of extra effort to overcome mechanical friction and for the effort lost to heating of the gas as it compresses, it is always going to be a lot of effort.

A handpump rated to produce 300 bar would probably be designed with a smaller piston to keep the required force within the range that a human can manage (as compared to a 200 bar pump) but then it will pump a bit less air per stroke and you will need more strokes to reach 200bar and then a whole bunch more to reach 300.

Pumping to 300 bar is always going to require more work (strokes x force applied) than pumping to 200, even with pumps made specifically for these respective pressures.

On the matter of safety; these pressures are no joke. Make sure any connection fittings you use are rated for 300bar and please don't accidentally connect your 200 bar pump or cylinder to a rifle that is filled to 300 bar....and yes I know the rifles have a check valve at their airtank inlet to prevent reverse flow but these have seals that will start to leak eventually.....
    Last edited by JXV; 29-01-20 at 15:01.