Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-made Silencer

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Home-made Silencer

This was my first attempt and was made with some alu pipe and other bits and pieces.

The silencer works great, my next attempt if I get bored with this one will be a two piece alu silencer with much smaller dimensions.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nice DIY.. keep going

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

very nice but more importantly, how did it affect your grouping???

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Me, not having any engineering back ground, would like to ask. Does it not effect the POI if the slilencer is held onto the barrel with a single screw holding it, or is the tolerance too small to make any difference?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Still have to test and compare groupings, but at low power (when tanks starts to empty) I get one hole groups at 15m with light pellets(same as without the silencer) I think these pellets are to light for the high power though. (Gamo Pro Magnum) will try some Diablo Barracudas@10.5gr next time and see what the results are. High power I get sub 1/2" groups which is good enough for shooting feral pigeons at 30m max.

How much do these and other heavy pellets cost?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerrief the tolerance should be too small as to make any difference.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The tolerance is indeed to small,had to cut 0.05mm away to make it slide over the barrel and it does indeed have two grub srews at a 90deg angle, but this you can't see.

The silencer was not aligned because of the 3 piece construction, that is why there is such a big exit hole. Pellets clipped the edge on their way out, so I drilled the hole a bit bigger.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nice how long did it take you?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What did you use for the "insides" ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well it actually took me the whole saturday morning.

With a silencer that big it did not need any insides. But just to try and make it better i put some old mouse pad as insulation from the sides and added 2 baffles which is just two plastic washers.

The part that fits over the barrel is iron, the tube and front is alu. the front cap was threaded so I can put any "insides" in there I want and open it for whatever reason. (nice sound enhancer without the endcap) :shoot:

This was a joint effort between me and my dad. Nothing cost me a cent :beer: , only "junk" where used.

What is inside your silencers? Would like to do some experimenting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I started playing with silencers on 22 rimmies about 3 years ago. Used anything from steeel wool (before i got the internet and was listning to old wife tales) to hair curllers. Just play with the spacing of the baffles.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

We did some testing on Friday and found that you can have a silencer as big as a house it will NOT make the flight of the pellet any quieter. From about 20 m you don't hear the rifle (silenced) but the pellet makes a lot of noise flying through the air.
    The noise becomes more the further you shoot. At 100m you can hear the pellet coming towards you for a long time before it actually strikes.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This DIY job came out very well and actually exceeded my expectation. Will do this more often in the future. I like DIY, the main reason ... cheap and is very satisfying when you get it right.

Next ... tuning down the power on the B50 to 12ftlbs and refinishing the stock then some QD swiwels. Any advise on the refinishing?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Me thinks the alinement of the exit hole will have more influence than the pipe used.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Good point Lewis makes, after 20 meters you can't hear the rifle at all only the pellet in flight.
    I think the basics are being over looked, when shopping or buying a silencer, it's not how quite you can get it but rather the build quality. After some testing and measuring of the AA and woodchuck silencers I found that most where so seriously out that they affected the flight of the pellet thus bad grouping. I have managed to source a good silencer from a good friend and let me tell you what, hole on hole was impossible at 15 yards, now I can shoot hole on hole up to 35 meters, tested. Silence is a luxury, complementing you're barrel is a must...