Thread: FXA blueing at the coast

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default FXA blueing at the coast

This is just a minor rant and personal observation.

I live in Port Elizabeth an I installed a bipod and a scope on a FX impact - these do not fit in the gun case when the rifle is assembled. - The gun sat outside its case on a shelf for a few weeks.

Yesterday I picked it up just to give it some “silicone spray love and attention” and noticed that the barrel has micro-rust on the blued barrel shroud between the trigger and the magazine. Only on the top and the right side of the tube. The right side of the gun was facing a window that is occasionally open(still about 3 meters from this window).
    Literally just specs of dust settled on the blued barrel tube and the coating could not withstand this. - Is this an inferior coating from FX or is this normal for blued surfaces?

I always wiped this blued tube down after touching it as I was afraid for the salt in my hands etc…. but DUST?? Come on man!

My Huben K1 has stood on the same shelf for over a year and yep (as expected) …. She’s as perfect as the day I bought her.

At this point I will not even consider buying a blued rifle – Blueing must be the most inferior coating we have invented to date. What is the point of a beautiful finish if dust can deteriorate it?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yup I experienced the same issue with my FX MK2.....also live on the coast and was in a cupboard in my man cave. I now keep her well oiled!!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It is salt spray and not dust that caused the corrosion on your blued steel surfaces. This can happen as far as 30km inland from the coast.

Bluing is itself a form of corrosion - it is a crystalline oxide layer formed by a reaction between the steel and the bluing compound. It is porous and should be kept lightly oiled to provide good protection against corrosion. Many of the oils typically used for this (e.g. Ballistol or your preferred alternative) will evaporate over time so a wipe-down with an oily rag every few months will help. More often if you handle it regularly.

It also helps if you can locate some VPI (vapour phase inhibition) paper and place some of this in your cupboards or safe or wherever you keep your tools and shooting stuff. Put a few drops of light oil on the paper from time to time. It evaporates slowly to establish a very weak oily vapour in your enclosed storage areas. This helps to limit corrosion. Decent tools used to come wrapped in the stuff years ago....
    Last edited by JXV; 29-01-20 at 16:01.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What he said. The idea of bluing is that the micro pores keeps oil longer than normal shiny steel. Looks great as well. Any specific reason you use silicone oil?

I am of the personal opinion that rust is a sign of neglect.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

(Silicone oil was used just to lube the action etc.)

Ok... so chilling on a shelf doing nothing and rusting up from dust is normal? - I had no idea it was so volatile.

As i said, i always wiped it down after touching it (this was the extent of my blueing maintenance knowledge) so I would not go as far as to say i neglected the gun. - just didn't have the necessary info...

This thread has certainly educated me so thanks for that guys.

Lesson learnt... A blued gun is to be treated as if it was BARE metal.

OVERKILL on maintenance! literally dripping in oil ALL the time, collecting all manner a shyte as i shoot it outdoors etc... wipe down all contaminated oil after use and drench it again before sealing it vacuum packed in plastic...

or... don't buy blued guns.

Got it thanks

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No need for it to drip with with oil. I spray some Ballistol on a rag and wipe the rifle with it each time I put it away after a shooting session.

Bluing looks nice but as you point out, it is not a fit-and-forget anti-corrosion coating. A modern 2K epoxy coating and some powder coats can do a better job. There are also different qualities of bluing.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    ......I would not go as far as to say i neglected the gun. - just didn't have the necessary info...
    Click on the following link to download the manual from the FX website and read it. Cleaning and storage section is on page 3.
    https://fxairguns.com/wp-content/upl...anual_2020.pdf
    If you don't have the manuals for your other rifles, I would suggest you download and read them as well. May save you some stress later on when something else goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    .....Lesson learnt... A blued gun is to be treated as if it was BARE metal.

OVERKILL on maintenance! literally dripping in oil ALL the time, collecting all manner a shyte as i shoot it outdoors etc... wipe down all contaminated oil after use and drench it again before sealing it vacuum packed in plastic...

or... don't buy blued guns.
    Now that you have that out of your system, read up about gun maintenance in general and air-rifle maintenance in particular. The following links are good places to start.
    Cleaning And Maintaining Your Air Rifle -Pellpax Blog
    Air Rifle Maintenance 101: Keeping Your Airgun Operating Properly - Outdoor Empire
    Reading the manual is a must. If you did not receive one, they are normally easily found on the net or by sending an email to the manufacturer.

And yes, if wiping your rifles down with an oily rag on a regular basis is too much work, blued steel is not for you.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I also live on the coast and have got a number of blued guns, some of which I have had for longer than the OP has been around, yet I do not have issues of rust developing in storage.

I find a monthly wipe down with an oily cloth that leaves a very slight film of oil keeps any potential rust at bay.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ballistol is to guns as nesquick is to milk...