Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP with scope mounting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default HELP with scope mounting

I've mounted my 10-50x60 and I zeroed it at 20m. So Far so good. I took it back to 35m and I can't zero it! I figured I must have mounted it badly, so I took the mounts off and re-mounted them.

Same problem I am still shooting 1 inch to the right and 1 inch too low but the turrets are at the max! I'm probably doing something stupid being a newbie.

Anyone have any ideas?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dude, lol. I wish I had something to say, other than I hope I don't have the Same problem In two weeks time when my 10-50x60 gets here. Where did you go to zero it ? I was waiting for your call. I zeroed my 4-16 today @ 20yrds but had no opportunity for longer shots. As its coming off in two weeks I am not reall bothered. Tell me if you are interested in a Custom alloy side wheel for your 10-50 and when I get mine I'll make 2 of them. Speak to you soon mate. Ps, you interested in a pedal this sunday down Giba way ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The only good thing about having a big garden - I can zero at home. I'll try fiddling with the mounts again. I might commission some scope alignment rods! It looks like they are just solid 30mm rods with pointy bits.

Sunday we are visiting Ouma but I need to get back on the bike!

New Biathlon idea - Mountain Bike and shoot

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You will have to "shim" the scope, or it can be cheap/bad scope mounts. With a big scope like that it is best to buy at least Spotmatch mounts or BKL (if you can find them in SA).
    Also try to swop the mounts, front to back.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have you optically zero'd the scope?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Tried the swapping bit. I might have to get other mounts - these are the 30mm Thor mounts. Pretty expensive for the Thor Mounts. I might just go for Hawke mounts again or look for Spotmatch.

Thanks for the advice!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    Have you optically zero'd the scope?
    No I don't think so - what is that?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

35M should be a counter clockwise motion on the turret, so am I correct in assuming that you cant Zero 10M either...

I belive that putting a shim on the rear mount should correct this problem. You can use a piece of an old X-ray or film negative.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Your line of sight through the scope is not crossing the path of the firing line. Start off optically centering the scope, propping up the rear as mentioned and then testing and shimming the mounts until the scope and the barrel are pointing in the same direction. Now without adjusting the scope start shooting from about 18 metres, moving the target 1 metre at a time until you hit the horizontal you are aiming for. That is your scopes zero. You can then start shooting at all the distances required to get your turret settings.

It is no good playing with the windage turret when zeroing a scope. You will only get crossover.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here is an article on Optically Zeroing a scope

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/...ter-scope.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys - I have shimmed it and I'll try again when I have some daylight time. Thanks for the info on Optical Zeroing. I might get this done by a pro with a collimator if Shimming isn't working.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Adrianv,
    Somewhere along the line you lost me with your comments about zeroing the scope. Optical zero is something else than just zeroing the scope, although it is of utmost importance. If you are dialing why do you have to zero the scope at all, at any distance? You are going to zero the scope for every shot when you dial in any case.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

OK Good news. I shimmed it with around .5mm on the back mount and put a bit to the left as well. I think I could use more on the left but I have it punching the same hole at 20m with plenty left on elevation and a respectable bit on windage.

Thanks Guys!! (I still might take it to a pro like HGS though)

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Gerrie,

By setting a 'zero' on the scope it means you have a datum by which you can test the rifle.

As you know I zero my rifles for 35 yards and dial in all other distances. However I always return to my zero point after each shot - this helps prevent ending up a turn out, especially with 1/8 MOA turrets. Every time I go to the range I can check my zero at 35 yards it is a known 'baseline' to which I can check for variations - if it is slightly out I can reset it and my dialling values fall back into place.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale,
    I'm with you on that and I do the same except that I zero on 25m. However I found that with newbies, as in this case, I would introduce that part at a bit of a later stage when he/she understands the working of the scope a bit better. I also feel that having the scope optically zeroed at that distance is advantages, as 25m is the apex of the trajectory for a 8.4g pellet as 800 Ft/sec. That would mean that all settings are UP from there on. Something (The concept)that I demonstrated to some of the centre fire guys also and they tell me that they like the idea, once they lost the fear of touching the scope.