Thread: Barrel Blanks

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Barrel Blanks

I am going to order some barrel Blanks from Lothar Walther in Germany.
    Barrels I am ordering is:
    4.5mm Standard with choke 16mm od
    4.5mm Polygon with choke 16mm od
    4.5mm Stainless steel with choke 16mm od
    5.5mm Polygon with choke 16mm od

If there are other sizes you want, please let me know. Look on this site, NOT the US site. https://www.lothar-walther.de/barrel-blank/airgun/?p=1 Please don't make up your own sizes or twist rates, I can order them yes, if you take 50 of a made up size.

I can order bigger calibers, but please note you will need a firearm license if you fit it on a rifle with more than 6 joule power.

I will be ordering in a week or two so any other sizes not on my list, please post here or pm me. Other sizes will require a deposit.

Also please note, these are air rifle barrel blanks, they need to be ported and cut for your particulate rifle brand, by you. They are not surface treated, so you do that yourself, weather you want it blued, painted, cerakoted or what ever.

The feedback that I have received from shooters using these blanks is that they are extremely accurate. you won't find better. These are all match grade blanks.
    An old man wandering lonely.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've had my eye on lothar walter for at least 11 years. These are the best of the best.
    If I was building something, I would be jumping now...

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

"I can order bigger calibers, but please note you will need a firearm license if you fit it on a rifle with more than 6 joule power."

I take it that you will supply an SAP350(b) form with these barrels, so that a licence can be applied for?
    Last edited by Pellet pusher; 05-02-20 at 04:24.
    Can you ever have enough?

Cadet

User Info Menu

Do you know the cost of a barrel.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pellet pusher View Post
    "I can order bigger calibers, but please note you will need a firearm license if you fit it on a rifle with more than 6 joule power."

I take it that you will supply an SAP350(b) form with these barrels, so that a license can be applied for?
    No, the reason being that the barrel on its own does not qualify as a firearm (it is not a firearm barrel) it only becomes part of a firearm once installed in a rifle that produces more than 6 joules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ricard View Post
    Do you know the cost of a barrel.
    If nothing drastic changed from the last batch it will be plus minus R2500 for the 4.5mm and 5.5mm.
    SS I can't remember but is a lot more expensive.
    An old man wandering lonely.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Cor;646589]No, the reason being that the barrel on its own does not qualify as a firearm (it is not a firearm barrel) it only becomes part of a firearm once installed in a rifle that produces more than 6 joules.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the relevant extract from the FCA. Pretty self explanatory and very clear! Please see the underlined red part.

"firearm"

means any

a) device manufactured or designed to propel a bullet or projectile through a barrel or cylinder by means of burning propellant, at a muzzle energy exceeding 8 joules (6 ft-lbs);

b) device manufactured or designed to discharge rim-fire, centre-fire or pin-fire ammunition;

c) device which is not at the time capable of discharging any bullet or projectile, but which can be readily altered to be a firearm within the meaning of paragraph (a) or (b);

d) device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile of a calibre of 5.6mm (.22 calibre) or higher at a muzzle energy of more than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs), by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant; or

e) barrel, frame or receiver of a device referred to in paragraphs (a), (b), (c) or (d), but does not include any device contemplated in section 5;

You will have a hard time convincing ANY judge that your 50cal barrel firing a 300gr pellet is ONLY shooting at 8joules. I could most probably throw a 300gr pellet with more energy! A barrel larger than 5.6 IS a fire arm.
    Last edited by Pellet pusher; 05-02-20 at 14:44.
    Can you ever have enough?