Thread: Barrel steel composition .

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Barrel steel composition .

Hey guys.
    Does any one know more or less what is the steel composition of air rifle barrels?
    Can they be blued, or are they just painted? You need a fairly high carbon steel for the bluing to be done safely.

Marksman

User Info Menu

That sounds like the question: how long is a piece of string? I am sure different manufacturers use different steels, but you can blue most steels (obviously not stainless steels)
    You can blue carbon steels but also normal mild steel, I have found it just takes a little longer in the solution for low carbon steels, but they then blue very nicely.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

My limited experience, proved that most airgun barrels are much "softer" than regular powder burner barrels...
    Probably not hardened, and/or containing much carbon at all...
    But, as mentioned above still very "blueable"!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cutler View Post
    That sounds like the question: how long is a piece of string? I am sure different manufacturers use different steels, but you can blue most steels (obviously not stainless steels)
    You can blue carbon steels but also normal mild steel, I have found it just takes a little longer in the solution for low carbon steels, but they then blue very nicely.
    Sounds like you have done this?
    which caustic salts have you used? I want to do a hot blue after I add a 2000 gritt mirror finish on the barrel and action.
    Im revamping a very special gamo cfx royal. Ive seen weirauchs with less accuracy.
    Last edited by Crafty; 06-02-20 at 23:03.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a recipe that I make up, if you want I can post it here for all to see and use if they wish. Let me know.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I am interested thank you

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a recipe that I make up, if you want I can post it here for all to see and use if they wish. Let me know.
    That will be awesome.
    Just add a very clear caution of how dangerous this stuff is. Everyone that tries this does so at their own risk etc.

Thanks.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very curious on this. This should actually be a thread on its own. A full bluing tutorial. I'm sure we all have a old rusty air gun we all wish to sand down and refurbish - especially us coastal guy's

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barron View Post
    Very curious on this. This should actually be a thread on its own. A full bluing tutorial. I'm sure we all have a old rusty air gun we all wish to sand down and refurbish - especially us coastal guy's
    This is something that should be very carefully considered. The chemical salts used in bluing are super dangerous at room temp. 10 x more so when heating up. For bluing, you boil them. The vapours alone can be dangerous. I think publishing something like this on the net for anyone to see is a bit dangerous.