Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the best pellets for a rifle

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Choosing the best pellets for a rifle

I was thinking of the following method for choosing the right pellets for a particular rifle:

Get a chrony and different brands/shape pellets. First put the chrony 30cm from the rifle and start shooting 10 pellets of the same brand/shape. Change the brand/shape of pellets with another and shoot 10 again. After you try several types of pellets this should give you indication if the rifle doesn't like the pellets due to their size or if the spring is inconsistent. However while loading of you notice a for a particular type of pellets some of the pellets to fit tighter, some looser in the barrel, just throw them away and ignore the results from them, unless you want to spend the time of sorting those by size and weight.
    Then put the chrony 10m away from the rifle and start shooting 5-10 shots with one type of pellets. Move the chrony to 20m and repeat the shooting. Keep on increasing the distance between the rifle and the chrony by 10m to whatever distance you thing you can hit consistently. Then change the pellets type and start again from 10m upwards.
    During this you don't even have to aim at a target, just make sure the pellets go through the chrony.
    After that choose may be 3-5 types of pellets with least deviation at each distance, put the rifle on a bench and start shooting groups with one of those types by increasing the distance again with 10m after 5-10 shots. Change the type and test groupings again at different ranges.
    The above tests should be able to determine the best ballistic characteristics to match rifle/pellets/distance and I donít think itíll take longer than a lazy afternoon.
    From then on you just have to work on your shooting technique with the best matches.

Am I missing something?

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Swordfish you will get diffierent readings on the same batch depending on weight as well.

i recon the best is to shoot 10 shot groups at 20-25m and the smallest group wins.

the thing to remember is to refill the rifle to the same point when changing to the next pellet brand especialy if you shoot an unregulated rifle.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok, so what about weighting the different types of pellets first. Do you think the above will work well afterwards?

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

ya it will give you the best consistancy out of the barrel.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So, then this should be the way the go for any new rifle and eliminate any guess work for choosing the pellets?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

1) Nothing beats 5-10 shot groupings, shot from the position you would most likely use in the competitions, to extablish what pellet your rifle prefers. (Include the bench results in this)
    2) As long as you stay within the sweet spot of your rifle you don't have to worry too much about the pressure. Remember you are going to shoot at various pressures when participating in any competition. Change from one to the other pellet, while you work through the sweet spot and see what results you get overall, at various distances, from various pellets, at different times of day(temperature).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerrie, remember I sent you psyhrometric charts about a year or so ago? Did you find them of any help at all?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boertjie,
    Yes those things are all very ineresting but when it comes to sitting down on your arse and do the thing, quite something else happens, with me at least.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As Gerrief says shoot groups, no use getting consistant chrono readings and getting no grouping.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

To be honest, yes you are missing something.

Good on a chrono does not automatically mean accurate at the target!

Shoot the pellets at the target - find out which is most accurate.

Chronoing is more to check the status of your rifles performance (e.g how many shots per fill, power curve etc) and to abide with power limits (if required)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just remember that it takes time(shots) for a brand of pellet to "settle in". Don't just shoot ten shots with pellet a then ten with b...... and decide that b is the best. Shoot at least 50 pellets and then start testing the group.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

very true...some barrels need to get leaded up by 10-50 pellets before they start grouping well

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thats only for new barrels or very cleaned and polished barrels.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    To be honest, yes you are missing something.

Good on a chrono does not automatically mean accurate at the target!

Shoot the pellets at the target - find out which is most accurate.

Chronoing is more to check the status of your rifles performance (e.g how many shots per fill, power curve etc) and to abide with power limits (if required)
    Thanks for the feedback Dale. I'll follow yours and well as the other guys advice for grouping. I just thought may be there is some other way, in order to avoid shooter errors.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Just remember that it takes time(shots) for a brand of pellet to "settle in". Don't just shoot ten shots with pellet a then ten with b...... and decide that b is the best. Shoot at least 50 pellets and then start testing the group.
    Yes, you are right. With both of my springers, I get inconsistent results at first as soon as I change the pellets.