Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA XL Tactical

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default BSA XL Tactical

Read reviews on the net and they seem pretty excellent.

Any opinions?

Can't seem to find a price tag for S.A.

Anyone able to assist?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Personally not a fan, I am a springer, but not break barrel springer fan. They have one at Sharpe Edge in Sandton. Rather get an HWXX or P.S.

http://www.sharpedge.co.za/index.php...id=24&Itemid=4

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As far as I know BSA still make excellent barrels, even if the company is under Gamo. If you want a lighter springer to shoot from standing position this one is not a bad choice. I have read that this one is one of the bestsellers in the UK but they might be biased to a british rifle.
    Last edited by swordfish; 11-08-08 at 00:28.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

If you can get the 12 ft/lbs one, then go for it.
    The FAC version is only a very expensive cricketbat. Unfortunately Sharp Edge only import the FAC models.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I have a very special BSA Tactical XL with V-Mach tuning kit installed for sale...and scope to suit...pm me if interested.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Importers

Anyone know of a shop in Gauteng importing BSA rifles?

Except for Sharp Edge.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would definitely go for Guido's rifle if you get the chance.
    I have bought from Guido before and I can vouch for the quality of his collection, and the fact that he treats his 'toys' with the utmost respect, care and attention. Trust me, a second hand air rifle in mint condition is streets ahead of a brand new one for several reasons: 1) It has been shot in already. 2) Any hiccups would have been sorted out already as things do break on new rifles. 3) Guido knows what he is doing and would have done everything 100% I'm sure.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ambuscher, All in all, what is your opinion about the BSA xl tactical ?

For interest sake: If these FAC rifles are scope breakers, why do they still get made?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

They might break cheap scopes.. but they wont break a quality scope.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Spyker, what price range should one expect for a "FAC rated scope" ?
    It just don't make sense that gun manufacturers make FAC rifles when the only use for it would be as a cricket bat...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would say upwards of R2k. If you've spent the money on a decent rifle, don't skimp on the scope. It will only ruin your enjoyment.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Ambuscher thx for the vote of confidence!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No problem Guido - no point hiding the truth! My Crusader is still perfect and in daily use taking care of vermin at 40-50m it works everytime.
    SWAKO, as for comments on the BSA Lightning XL Tactical. I'll try keep it short : The stock is one of the best fits I have ever felt, the rifle swings up smoothly & naturally. It is a synthetic stock, but it is very solid with no 'give' or creaks - so for me it is really great especially with the whole rifle being very compact - excellent for carrying. The quality of the steel on the rifle is also very good, the barrel lock is well machined, the barrel is superb and the silencer works very well (for a springer). The trigger is OK and the firing cycle is very short, crisp and actually quite hard - BUT THE MORE YOU SHOOT, THE BETTER THE RIFLE & TRIGGER BECOMES, AND THE BETTER YOU BECOME AT USING THEM. So if you buy a new XL, be prepared to fire at least 1000 pellets through it before it (and you) settles down nicely. I have a Nikko Stirling 4-12x 42 AIRKING Gold Crown on the XL without any problems - this scope has a lifetime warranty should the recoil damage it. So for the money, this is my best combo - and she loves Powapells (and Accupells 2nd). All in all this little rifle is very good new, but as I said I would seriously consider Guido's tuned XL as it will fire far smoother than a new rifle. And in springers, smoother = more accurate.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi;just a note of causion BSA tactical XL barrel is fastened to breech block with a pin instead of a threaded srew like the weihrauchs so there is no way to ajust barrel tension my mate just sold a new one that has side play.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swako asked: "It just don't make sense that gun manufacturers make FAC rifles when the only use for it would be as a cricket bat..."
    Gamo makes rifles and they sell it, don't they? In my humble opinion there is not much more you can do with a Gamo, other than to use it as a cricket bat. If I buy an article I don't want to tune the damn thing I want to use it.