Thread: Finding the OPTICAL CENTER

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default Finding the OPTICAL CENTER

I found this on the net by chance...AND IT WORKS!!!! Even though it is lo-tech!

Take your scope off the mounts.

Take 2 small planks and cut an equal vee in each. Place these on another plank and use prestik to keep it all in place.

Align the planks and adjust the width apart so that your scope is supported along the tube at its furthest points, and as it would be on the rifle (turret position)

Place a stable level surface (a table) up against a vertical wall mirror (the mirror must be as close to 100% vertical as possible.)

Place the scope setup facing the mirror, about 15-20cm away. Make sure that the scope is facing the mirror at right angles L-R and Up-Dn (Prestik and sheets of paper can be used to do the minute adjustments or just get a straight edge (set square) and place it against the mirror, and parallel to the scope for better (and easier) visual reference.

Now look through the scope.

You will see the reflected reticle.

Adjust the vertical and horizontal reticle position until the real and reflected reticles are exactly aligned.

Aim the plank setup at a long distance object and revolve the scope in the vees while looking through it.

Check how much 'wobble' you get (if any). If the amount of centering is not acceptable, repeat the process.

Although this is not the most accurate method, I did it in less than 20 minutes after the cutting was done.
    I took my scope, bolted it onto the rifle, and was only 100mm down and 20mm right - first shot at 25m. I then had PLENTY of 'clicks' to play with, while zeroing.

Hope this helps.

Comments please?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Easier still is to turn the turrets on your mounted scope from stop to stop. Count the revolutions and set it at half way. (Windage and Elevation) Fire a shot or two at 25m and shim the scope untill you hit the zero mark. Why 25m? Because that is the natural apex of a 8.4g pellet flying at around 800Ft/sec. You will find that putting a shim from one or two X-ray film in the back mount, before mounting the scope, you are very close to the spot and your scope is optically zeroed at 25m.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I also want to optically centre my scope. I know an adjustable mount is the quick answer but I rather want to shim my scope. I just want to know if any of you have ever came across somebody who have broken a scope due to incorrect shimming or overtightening the scope rings after shimming a scope as the scope does not lay in the position it is intended to? I've read on the net that damage might occur and just want to hear your opinion on the subject as well.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

damage will happen if you over tighten it and by that i mean tighten it till the screw strips and then turn a half a turn back- to tight

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In other words, don't overtighten the scope mounts.
    Suzuki tight - "strip en 'n halwe draai terug"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ha ha ha HA HA!!! half a turn back...... lol

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My old man used to say: "Too tight is loose"

No damages that I know of, if you do as the guys say and I can bet you 99% of scopes are shimmed. I have only ever seen a chappie that tightened his scope so well that the mounts ate into the scope. Luckely he missed the lenses and wonder above wonder the scope worked fine. He says he does that to all his hunting rifle scopes as well and he has quite a few.