Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default New

Hi all

I'm a complete newbie to the world of air rifles.. no, I lie. I'm in newbie to this forum, and the ins and outs of the world of air rifles. I have a cheap air rifle, and I don't think I'm too bad... I don't practice all that much, and only have about a 20m stretch to shoot along... still, I hit a can 18m away, 2nd shot.. and that was when I hadnt practiced shooting for months. Anyways.

I'm 16, and because of school and everything, I haven't really had the chance to check out shooting ranges and such. I also have a load of questions:
    How old to you have to be to take part in competitions?
    How does one get into the competition-scene?
    Any ranges in the Somerset West/Strand/Gordon's Bay area?

That's it from me, for now.Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Welcome dude. I hope the Cape shooters will make you part of them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Sardine!
    Sure the boys from the Cape will give you the info about the closet range.
    Go to www.saftaa.co.za or www.hftsa.co.za for info on competition shooting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks.

Oh and guys, I'm not a guy. By the way. You should also know that my afrikaans sucks, so yeah.

I'll check those sites out.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Sardine. Daar is 'n skiet die naweek (Bottelary pad). Sien meer inligting hier: https://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?t=5077
    Goeie tyd om meer te leer en sien hoe dinge werk.

Jy kan deelneem as jy 16 is, net iemand (ouer/voog) wat ouer as 18 is saambring om die vrywarrings vorm te teken

Dis die een klub hier in die Kaap, die ander is Cape Air Rifle waarvan ek lid is (kan my mail by chairman@capeairrifle.co.za vir meer inligting of besoek http://www.capeairrifle.co.za)

Nie een van die twee klubs het 'n vaste skietbaan nie. Ons maak gebruik van verskeie bane of plase vir skiet kompetisies. As iemand wil oefen gaan hulle na een van die baie skiet klubs soos Kraaifontein, Durbanville. Daar is een in Stellenbosch ook maar is nie seker wanneer daar mense is nie.

Stuur my gerus 'n mail dan help ek waar moontlik.

Jacques

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry, I'll rewrite everything....one of those days where I'm really dislecsic...read one thing and do the opposite....eish

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

spend more time behind the trigger and it won't take long to hit that tin with your eyes closed. also read through the posts or search for keywords.

there are a lot of information in some obscure posts in this forum but it's all well worth the trouble to find.

feel free to ask. lots of people here that's willing to help out.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sardine, apologies for that.

There is a shoot this weekend near Kuilsriver (Bottelary Road)
    See https://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?t=5077
    Great time to come ask questions and see hoe things are done.

You can take part if you are 16, just bring along a parent or anyone over 18 to sign the indemity form and to make sure you behave

The shoot is hosted by Atlatic Airgun Club. The other club is Cape Air Rifle.
    www.capeairrifle.co.za

Neither of the two clubs have a shooting range of their own so we host the events at various other shooting ranges and farms in the Northern Suburbs, Stellenbosch, Wetton towards the South (if my directions are correct) and closer to Paarl etc etc

You can however shoot/practise at most shooting ranges where you must join as a member (cheaper) or pay a day visitor fee. Here in the Northern suburbs most go to Durbanville and Kraaifontein ranges. Stellenbosch has a range too but not sure when they are open etc.

If you have any questions, please email me at chairman@capeairrifle.co.za or Andrew (see the AAC shoot link above) and we will help were we can.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Better Swordfish
    And no dissing me on spelling etc, I am AFRIKAANikko Stirling after all

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

See I kan praat die English very deliciously and I eet my grapes quarrel for quarrel

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    Better Swordfish
    And no dissing me on spelling etc, I am AFRIKAANikko Stirling after all
    Of course it's better. And don't try to scare the kids with your English

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'll try...promise...I think

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Welcome Sardine, good to know there is some new young ones to take up the sport. Most of us started out with the older cheaper rifles. It helps to prepair you better in the long run. Try and join us this weekend, you will learn a lot.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Welcome, there are a lot of good guys in the cape to help you, if they dont its just because they dont want to be beat by a girl

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry, I'll rewrite everything....one of those days where I'm really dislecsic...read one thing and do the opposite....eish
    You didn't have to.. I can understand afrikaans to a point... but thanks anyway

Pity that I missed the shoot.. I only read about it 5min ago. But there will be others. How'd did it go? (It was a beautiful day).

I may use 'suck', but not 'like' and 'whatever' etc. Uhhhh, I've had one or two people ask me about my 'current set-up'... to be perfectly honest, I don't really have one. I just get the gun, load it, aim and shoot. I haven't adjusted anything in over a year, so I must be doing something right.

I'm going to start practicing more, and start challenging myself (don't know how yet, but I will find a way).

I've also started off with the cheaper equipment. Basic gun from Cash Converters, no scope, no add-ons, cheapish pellets, and a bit of oil every now and then. Payed R350 for the gun, and it's starting to show; the wood is starting to splinter and the barrel pops out the whole time.

Another bit of info you should know: I know not all the air rifle terms, so forgive me.
    And thanks for all the welcomes