Thread: Scope Optical Zero

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Scope Optical Zero

Hi,

The most commonly used method for finding the scope optical zero when mounting is to turn the turrets all the way on one side, then on the other, count the clicks, set them in the middle and shoot with the rifle as you shimming the mounts until on target. However here is another article, which explains something else:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/...ter-scope.html

Which of the 2 methods is the best? Any comments welcome.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I used this method and must say I have had no problems whatsoever afterwards , used my mounts out of the box and No shimming.Never looked back and will stick to this in future with all new scopes.

Just my 2c

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Have the following ever hapenned to any of you before? I did buy a Leupold 3-9X33 for my .22 LR used mainly for silhoeete shooting. Now Leupold, according to their manual says their scopes comes optically centered from the factory, or at least, its at the centre of adjustment if not completely optically centered. I mounted it on low rings, went to the club this saturday just to sight in my rifle, took the first shot at the first row of "birds" at 40 metres and its a hit! Never before this has happened to me or anybody that I know of. I did not have to adjust the scope at all, completely sighted in by just mounting it, and just had to compensate for drop at the other distances but it was still spot on at the furthest target at 100 metres. I must still shoot it at a paper target just to make sure its 100%. This is great. My scope is optically centered without the need to use shims or adjustable mounts. How possible is this?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

very lucky

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

anyone tried the 'mirror method' that I posted?

It worked well for me. I was 100mm low and 20mm off centre at 25m on the first shot after remounting.

That was far quicker and less PT than this one.
    Last edited by Bludlust; 18-08-08 at 14:12.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ettiene1,
    As it happened, by luck, I might add, your scope was spot on at 100m, not zeroed at 100m, unless both your turrets are on the zero mark now. If you had to zero at 50m what would the difference be? You will have to compensate for your nearer and further shots also. I had it happen often that I only need to adjust two or three clicks either way to be spot on and then I can zero the scope on that distance.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No, its spot on at 40 metres, not at 100metres. At 100 metres I must aim high. I dont adjust my scope for different distances. I just compensate. At the targets 40 and 60 metres away I dont compensate. The third row of targets is at 77 metres. I use the first dot for that distance. At 100 metres I put the first dot on the back of the ram and the second dot is then perfectly on its stomack. It a LR reticle from Leupold and its works this way on 2X magnification. It was really just luck. I've mounted how many scopes on how many rifles before and not once even came close to be on target on the first shot. This is a once in a lifetime occurence I'm sure.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Another question is what magnification do you use when zeroing a scope? Lowest, medium or highest?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It should not make a difference, but use the setting that you are going to shoot at the most.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swordfish ,I don't think it will make any difference

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

That is what I thought as well. Theoretically it shouldn't. But read somewhere that you need to use the lowest magnification. However the author didn't explain why and that's why I'm asking.

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Swordfish

My advice on that would be to use 24X if you have it...... It will increase your error for fine adjustment on the paper targets out to longer distances......
    If you then normally shoot at 12X for FT, you just halve your mildot readings for the smaller magnification.... If you are spot-on at 25m for example at 24X, you will still be spot-on at 12X.....
    This method works perfectly well for the ZOS models 10 to 40, so do'nt tell me it does not work for the higher priced versions......!!!!!!!!

malan

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Works very well with my MTC. I use the same method