Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank to tank refill.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Tank to tank refill.

Has anyone ever swopped air from one tank to another. I have a 300 bar 6l graphite tank for field use, and I just bought a 232 bar 15l for home use. Assuming I run out of air on the one tank, could I connect the 2 and fill the one with the other. I never thought of this before, but is this possible. Any one ???

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

of coz. u can transfer air between tanks.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Short and sweet. Thanx

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes but once the pressure is the same in both tanks no more transfer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I'm no expert, but I reckon if you have one full tank and one empty tank - connect them together they will equalize and you will end up with 2 half empty (or half full) tanks!?!? Not ideal.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

This is something you should find out from an expert on pneumatics, not a bunch of know it alls like us. Call David on 0836314513, he owns a pneumatics shop. He is in Pretoria but will help you with info.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

Fill the tank at the dive shop

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Legally you need to be certified to fill a high pressure vessel over 500ml, but for the benefit of those who will do it anyway here are some tips:

1: do everything SLOWLY. dont forget that you are moving massive amounts of energy around, and there will be temperature changes. Overheating of the tank being filled is an issue, but probably not to serious if it is just a top up. The donar tank valve gets cold aswell, and may freeze up and jam if air is transferred too quickly.

2: never force anything. never tighten anything more than light finger tight, and never use more than moderate hand force to loosen anything. Most connections use the force of the air pressure to seal, over tightening connections won" help them to seal better, it will just damage the seal. If you have a valve that needs to be really tightened to seal, it is old and the seal needs to be replaced. This is cheap and easy to do, and makes filling infinitly easier and safer. Another reason not to force things is that if there is still pressure on one side of the seal, it will be locking it closed. first try and make absolutely certain that there is no residual pressure in the system before attempting to open a stuck connector.

3: Before you start, sit down and think, and make sure that you can bleed air from every part of the system after you have finished transferring air.

4: not so much of an issue for airgunners, but make sure that there is no water lurking in pipes or valves that can accidentally be pumped into your tank. It will drastically reduce your tank life.

5: Rather take it to a dive shop to be filled.

Bear in mind that it is all good and well until something goes wrong. Not only is there potential for serious injury, but there are very nasty legal issues.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I do. Im just want to know if its possible.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanx for the info Grim

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Just fill the rifle from the full tank. I am too damn lazy to hassle with transfering from one tank to another.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You can transfer from one cylinder to another, but as said they will equalize. You will sit with 2 half empty tanks at the end of the day. (making both useless to you and they will both have to be refilled)
    The cost of the fittings to do it is really not worth it.
    To work out the capacity of a cylinder take size (in litres) and multiply by pressure(bar)
    example
    3Lx300bar=900L of air
    15Lx230bar=3450L of air
    we use a cylinder to about 180bar, therefore a 15L pumped to 230bar and used to 180bar = 750L of air used
    If you want to go the transfer route then rather get yourself a 50L cylinder (15000L@300bar) and then decant into a 3L, more practical. Cost of a 50L will be in the range of R 8000 new and less if you can find one 2nd Hand.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I see we have several Pessimists on this thread, they are actually wrong when saying you will have two half empty tanks, you will in fact have two half full tanks, still useless but better from an optomists point of view. He! He!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okay Brian
    how about 50% or 75% of it's capacity

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Oh, so your going to get technical now Neil!