Thread: Parallax adjustment on fixed power scopes

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Parallax adjustment on fixed power scopes

This will help some of you that's got fixed power centrefire scopes on your rifles of which the parallax is factory set at 100 yards and you might be doing most of your shooting at say 30 metres or even closer. I dont know if a simmular thread was posted earlier so here it goes. I've first tested it myself to see if it really does work, and it does. I've got a Lynx 8X56 IR scope not mounted on a rifle as yet, must still buy a hunting rifle, and used this scope to test the parallax adjustment.

Last night I've taken aim on my son sitting on the couch watching tv, 8 metres away, with only the scope in my hand. He was a total blur. You could just see the colour of his t-shirt. Well then I started to adjust the scope as explained on the links below. I have not counted how many times I had to rotate the lens in its housing, but it was a few complete turns. Its worked perfectly. I've put the scope on my Ranchero and could shoot the same groups that my Leapers Bugbuster could manage at a near perfect parallax setting. This was at only 10 metres, with an 8X centrefire scope which was just a few minutes ago totally useless at even 15 metres...

I'm sure there are a few guys out there with 4X or 6X fixed power scopes, parallax corrected for 100 yards, on their airguns or even .22's, who dont shoot past 60 metres 99% of the time. This will most definately make a difference for you as I've previously had a Tasco 4X40 World Class scope on my Gamo Hunter 440 and the reticle could not hold focus when targetshooting at ten metres. I wished I knew this at that time.

Here is the links:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=94809
    http://fuzzylimey.net/projects/parallax.html

No tools were needed for the Lynx scope. I could turn everything by hand but not so with my small Leupold. I will have to take it of the gun and maybe get a tool for doing the same to it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Just a comment. This works with variable power scopes as well. I was suposed to say its only for scopes that can't be parallax adjusted either with an adjustable objective or by means of saddle focus.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Going to do this on my Oryx scope tonight. Thanks for links.

Admins sticky perhaps?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Worked very well on my oryx 4*32.
    There was no need for special tools, once you remove the lock/cover in front you can turn the assembly by hand.

Thanks again for the link. Saved me for now from spending on a much more expensive scope for my HW40. Maybe later in next year I can afford a shiny Bug Buster

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

sweet. where did you set it to? 10m? 20m?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

+- yea

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'm glad it could have helped someone.

I've swapped scopes between my Anxor and my rimfire. I wanted to have the mildot scope on my airrifle. The Leupold VX1 2-7X33 has got an LR reticle, unfortunately the 3-9X33 VX2 Ultralight, which is a better scope, only have a duplex reticle. I've set her up at 25 metres. Works much better than at the original 100 yards. I just wonder if I would be able to cope with the rimfire now with the duplex reticle at the silhoeette range. I hope I will be able to shoot it well without the aid of the LR reticle.