Thread: What's the best pellet for Gamo cfx?

Protea FT Team '12

User Info Menu

Default What's the best pellet for Gamo cfx?

HI Guys,

What pellets do you recommend for use with the Gamo CFX? The cheaper pellets doesn't want to group with a new BSA scope fitted. On 20 meters the best group so far is about 30mm.

What would you use for plinking?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just in my experience - which is not huge - Air Arms Field are the best that I've tried. Gamo TS10 are the worst - I could throw rocks with more accuracy!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Most people I know including me use JSB exact with great success.
    I know JTK uses AA Field target.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Try Gamo Pro Magnum pellets. Its very good pellets for the price. It's grouping better than my H&N match pellets in my Ranchero. It also grouped better in my Hw100 I've once owned and was the most accurate pellet in my Gamo Hunter 440. It grouped better than Air Arms Diabolo Field in all of these rifles except in the case of the Ranchero.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Could also be due to parallax error, not getting your eye looking exactly down the same line for each and every shot. Keeping both eyes open while aiming helps.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

4.52mm AA Field / JSB Exacts / H&N FT in that order was my top 3. AA and JSB can stack pellets at 25m. H&N FT was close but never any stacking. Size mattered. That extra 0.02mm makes all the difference on mine.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Is your scope well mounted and your rifle "broken in"?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Has anyone tested Prometheus SN1 and TM1 properly? I've only seen a review of the light PPP1 on Farmer's site. I have some but still haven't had the time to test them for grouping against JSB and AA. However, their penetration is much better than any lead pellets.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

How we air rifle people love this penetration issue!

On all the quarry we shoot with 12ft/lb rifles the lead pellet is adequate, dove, pidgeon, even scub hare (which we may no longer shoot but....)

I don't remember recovering a 7.9 to 10.5gr pellet from the doves or pidgeons shot, even at distances up to 40m. Even head shots on hare up to 25m are right through, francolin and guinefowl are always head shots and the same story there.

It is interesting seeing what goes further into the good old yellow pages though. Ain't used the new prometheus, but the old ones with the plastic jacket sure did well in the phone books. Accuracy was another story though.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've shot only 3 shots with these pellets with the plastic skirts. I dont shoot with them anymore. Cant even melt them to make sinkers... Not good at all, the light version that is. The most accurate pellets in most guns remains the Crosmans Premier heavy's as well as the JSB's. They are in my guns anyway the most accurate, almost impossible to decide which is better, so close it is. I think I own almost all the brands locally available and have tested them all. But I've read here that heavy pellets is a bad idea in a springer so the most accurate pellet will be the JSB's. Try it as well as Air Arms. But do try the Pro magnums. The accuracy you get with them at their price is really good.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

SN1 and TM1 are not plastic at all. And SN1 is 7.95gr, TM1 is 9.5gr.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've done some tests with different pellets. With these tests you will clearly see what pellets to avoid. But this was in my gun, some pellets might do better in other rifles. I'm very dissappointed with Gamo Pro Magnums as ussually they perform much better but I have not given any pellet a second chance. This is the true results. I'm sure this will answer your question. I dont have JSB's anymore, only in .20 calibre and that is why I've not tested them as well.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ettienne, I think you should try more shots and longer distances groupings with the best 2-3 type of pellets from your first test. Sometimes, I see one hole groupings with 3-4 pellets but if I try 15-20 pellets groupings the results are different.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will, but I wanted to do this test indoors and 14 metres is the biggest distance I could manage indoors. This was just to give a indication. Flatheads I know from experience will still group at 25 metres but just 5 metres further you will not even stay on the target, let alone getting a proper group. Even the crow magnums that shot that excelent group, for hollowpoint will shoot groupings 4 times bigger than my most accurate domed pellet at 35 metres. But that is in my .20. I must still test them at longer ranges, only got them friday.
    The moment my silencer is fixed on my .20 I will do the same test with it, on longer ranges. But I only have I think 7 different pellets for it.