Thread: dialing in or mildots

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default dialing in or mildots

i posted a poll on the brithish forum asking if they used mildots or dialed in and these where the results......

dial in......5

use mildots...35

i though dialing in would be more popular

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Moose , I have been competition shooting 26 years , combat rifle & service rifles . R1 & R 4 . Shotgun & pistol . When we first started using scopes lottsa old guys were trying to dial in , bear in mind we were using expensive US scopes .

They got their knickers in such a tangle , it was pure comedy .

I zeroed on 200m & then used mildots for windage & elevation .

Ok we shot at known distances , but you still had to know the gun , scope & ammo characteristics . Only able to use issued ammo , so you learnt which batch did what in different conditions . Thats another story !

Shooting from 25 m right out to 400m . Try shooting a 9 inch steel plate from 300m in a serious cross wind !

Thats why I use mill dots & dont dial , maybe cause I dont have the confidence in myself to rezero the scope after each & every shot !

So , I use mill dots , works for me , but each to his own . I've won a few competitions like this , I'm not really willing to try & re-learn . However , I will concede that it could be more accurate to dial , BUT you gotta be disciplined enough to keep your head , one bugger up & your whole shoot goes out the window .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

which forum?

is that for FT only?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Moose,

It is quite possible that on the UK forum a lot of the respondents were HFT shooters (where no alterations to the scope are allowed) or hunters, who by and large don't tend to dial anyway.

If the question had been asked exclusively to FT shooters then the chances are the answer would have come out overwhelmingly in favour of dialling.

Also as Jon says there are a lot of f***wits on the UK forums who don't seem to really understand much about shooting.

Gerry, the problem I find with using mil-dots or a duplex reticle is that aiming off for elevation is okay, but when you have to add in windage allowance as well I find it difficult to maintain an accurate aim at a random point in space.

That is why I dial in for elevation and aim off for windage, I find it far easier to maintain aim with the horizontal wire through the centre of the target and compensate for wind as required.

Regards

Dale (logged in from Jamie's pc)

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sun May 29 2005, 09:11PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

the site is www.airgunbbs.com

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

UK guys:

Is HFT more popular than FT over there now? Specifically from numbers of shooters and shoots available?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Just from what we see in the comics here, there is nearly no mention of FT anymore. Only HFT. I thought it had pretty much died off as a popular sport.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

It is not unreasonable to say that the airgun comics are sales driven and the simple fact is HFT represents a greater number of sales than FT.

For instance consider the EV2 - Air Arms plan to make about 20 per month. They make over 400 S400/410 rifles in the same time period so which gets the greater emphasis?

FT is alive and well and certainly experiencing a good degree of growth (in the SWEFTA region at least).

Regards

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

heres a poll i posted on HFT/FT to see what is more populare have a look........ http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69127