Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .177 vs .20

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default .177 vs .20

I have recently noticed an increased popularity of the .20 calibre air rifles. I have never shot or owned a .20 rifle and was wondering what is the fuss all about. With pcp rifles, do you get more or less shots per fill, can you use it for FT shooting etc. And then the big question, what is the best, .177 or .20 and why do you think so?
    I know Ian will go for the .20

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

There is much more different brands of pellets available for .177 but as almost everyone on this forum is shooting exclusively with JSB's, it should not be a problem.
    .20 does carry much more energy than .177 to the target at any range, if both started out at the same power level, making it better for hunting. It also makes a bigger wound channel which is also better. The only problem is that the most popular rifles does not come in .20 calibre in factory form. The day that happens much more people will buy a 20. Then more different pellets would be made available as well.
    I love my .20. Its in fact more accurate than the .177 HW100 it replaced and the brand, to me at least is not up with Weihrouch. It cost lots less than a new Hw100 and still it does not have to take a back seat to the HW100on accuracy or power terms. .177 does have more penetration than .20 with the same power so if you need penetration, .177 would be better. I will always choose a .20 over a .177 if I may only own one gun but I will never stop shooting with .177.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

For FT or sub 12fpe .177 better due to flatter trajectory and it's 0.5mm smaller so more space in the killzone (Every little helps ).
    For hunting .20 better due energy retention/knockdown and accuracy at higher energy (not necessarily velocity) levels.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Unless you want more power, there is little reason to go for .20 over .177. Also consider that you could have a duel calibre rifle with interchangeable barrels providing the best of both worlds. There is no restriction on calibre for FT as long as it does not exceed 12fpe. At the same power level, you generally get more shots the bigger the calibre.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    At the same power level, you generally get more shots the bigger the calibre.
    This is very interesting. Why would that be?

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '13/'15/'17

User Info Menu

All depend what you want to use it for. For hunting .20 is better - more energy at the target. I did a comparison and my .20 Rapid have almost the same energy at 50 metres than my .177 410 FAC at the muzzle.

410 .177 / 10.2gr JSB heavy - 1025 f/sec muzzle (23.8 ft/lbs)

Rapid .20 / 14.3gr Premiers - 1018 f/sec muzzle (32.9 ft/lbs)

Rapid .20 / 14.3gr Premiers - 840 f/ sec 50 metres (22.4 ft/lbs)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I dont know the reaons for that, but a lot is said about that subject on the net. Just do a google search and you will get very technical details as for the reasons. I just know its a fact as I've never read about even one person saying its not true. But from .177 to .20 the shot count is not much more. Maybe only 5 shots, but it will vary between the type of rifle, its cylinder capacity etc.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Dunno the technicalities, just is that way. Google it if you like...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

with .20 there is no look back... u get 25% more air efficiency with .20 than .177 at the same power... also able to get power increased by 40%-100% depending the setup... counter wind ability / downrange energy / long range accuracy is farrrrr superior than .177... needless to mention the massive damage to the target...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Simple, due to the smaller bore .177 naturally restricts air flow, as a result you need more air or higher operating pressure to overcome the restriction to enable a projectile to be pushed out at a specific energy. Bigger bores are less restricting, thus more efficient and require less air or lower operating pressure to propel a projectile at the same energy as .177

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

For shooting in the Cape Town wind you need heavy pellets...

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

What make of pellet is generaly the most prefered one, and what do they cost, compared to .177 ?

I am thinking of converting my HW100 to .20. I know that Boondoc once had a .20 barrel for a Weihraugh for sale. How do you modify the magazine? Do you just drill the holes bigger?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Most accurate pellet in my .20 is the Crosman Priemier 14.3grainers. Very very close behind is JSB's and third best in my gun is Baracuda heavy's. H&N silhoeete is in fourth place. Also very accurate. When I do hunt with diabolo pellets I choose the JSB's because the Crosmans is very hard. They just go through, the much softer JSB's seem to hit harder. My alltime favourite hunting pellet is the Beeman Crow Magnum. Its the most accurate hollowpoint pellet I've ever shot with and its hitting power is really something to experience. You can see the difference clearly.

User Info Menu

Piet, depends at velocity and what your barrel prefers. Most prefer .20 JSB's and they are not that expensive compared to .177 but I paid R210 for a box (625) .20 Premiers end last year. I phoned Stan at Sharpedge this morning and the price went up to almost R300.

User Info Menu

Most accurate pellet in my .20 also Crosman Premiers 14.3 gr. JSB's are accurate up to +/- 930 f/sec.