Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Target or HFT

psychoSven's Avatar psychoSven

Default Field Target or HFT

would just like to know: what would everyone prefer if the choice came between FT and HFT, looking around at most peoples guns, especially their scopes, would u change for a smaller power scope or anything in a HFT comp since u cant touch anything on the scope, i think the idea of HFT interrests me but if its hunting they trying to simulate then i recon its gone all wrong since i play just as much with my scope with the quarry in veiw as i do in FT.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

psychoSven I agree . If you want a clean kill you make sure you have a clear view of the quarry .I would still like to see HFT in SA. However as long as you enjoy the days shoot I dont think it matters what style of shoot it was
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue May 31 2005, 10:05PM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lets get Ft fully of the ground and then we start HFT. There is a big need for HFT in our country due to the millions of springers sold that can't really compete with FT guns. IMO we start it socially at clubs and keep it that way for a few years.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

2nd that Lewis

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hmm if there was a choice, probably HFT.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Jun 01 2005, 08:44AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think they would complement each other, both would be better.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I second Avion and Refresh.
    My question is: If I am in the veld hunting and I have a rest in the form of a fallen tree or rock etc., I'm going to use it. If I prefer standing I'm not going to sit down etc. Why force a shooting style on me or deprive me of a dead rest if I see one? Is it not my choice, but keeping the distance, say? Could I not make my shooting pillow as high as I prefer for my built etc (over regulating the wrong things?) Just asking.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

HFT does have a place but as Lewis commented, FT needs to be established fully before moving to HFT. As a matter of fact, a person who knows and trusts his sights on a spring gun will shoot just as well as any PCP shooter. The object of FT & HFT is to simulate hunting conditions, force positions in a controlled environment as the quarry does not always give you the chance to take the perfect position. Positional shooting positions does put any shooter at a distinct disadvantage but it can be overcome with the correct frame of mind. If u look at Marguitte (Spelling GerrieF?) she prefers standing shots and IMO most kills in the veld are made offhand in a walk and stalk situation.
    My bulls eye's worth

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If I can throw a spanner in the works once again.....

HFT is considerably a cheaper option than FT. Ie- hunting stocks and fixed mag scopes.
    Therefore I reckon the sport would grow considerable faster than FT.
    Changing over however (to HFT) would be scorned on seeing as most people have top end scopes and FT rifles.

Anyways... my 0.02 on this.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

avion . Yes that is why HFT is so popular in the UK .HFT kit not half as expensive af FT . Although I think to start HFT in SA will just cause problems at this stage . 50 people doing FT in my mind is better than 25 FT and 25 HFT for example

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hmm interesting thoughts there Allan re: the 25 / 25 split.
    Although I think that alot more people with springers would come out of the woodwork, so to speak, with a springer HFT class in the offering. From what little experience I've had at shoots, the springer guys seem put off very quickly when they learn that they will be competing with PCP rifles at ten times the price of their air rifles.

Probably gonna get flamed for this, but hell - it's an open board and it's my opinion.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Take a look again at the Uk shooters HFT gear, Steyrs, Daystate MK3 very popular and these guns are anything but cheap. I think we will have to do HFT different here than in the UK, Springers only. This way we can atract more shooters and SAFTAA is working on this.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Agreed Lewis. Something definately has to be done soon. There's alot of potential HFT'ers out there with nothing to bring them into the clubs. Less members equals less money for the clubs which equals less money for the sport as a whole.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Any suggestions on how we must regulate this. Placing a monetry value limit on the kit used will be difficult. Come on guys plz help here!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Lewis,
    Maybe limiting the scope only? I actively hunt with my pcp and won't mind trying HFT if it means a quick swopping of scopes. But then again, if HFT is going to mean differen't rig I will just HAVE to acquire another rifle, heeha! :beer: (There's a Diana model 48B with my name on it out there)
    I'm as confused as Gerrief with the rules though. If we are seriously simulating hunting( which HFT is about, right?) then we should consider the fact that any ethical hunter would make use of whatever is around him to stabilize/support himself to ensure making a better shot. If I am in the veld hunting and there is a tree/branch/antheap/whatever for support I will surely use it. Why not let me do the same with my air rifle and limited scope?

That's my bark....