Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye piece focus and parallax question

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Eye piece focus and parallax question

Hi,

If your scope eye piece focus is not set 100% to relieve your eye, is that going to affect the accuracy of parallax range finding or it's just going to put strain on your eye, without affecting the accuracy of the range finding?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think it will affect your range finding , the target will almost always be out of focus.I am not a scope ex but it make sense.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

This focus is to set the clarity of the cross hair, when range finding it is best to get both the crosshairand the target into crisp focus. if one is out then you are not there.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Total EV View Post
    This focus is to set the clarity of the cross hair, when range finding it is best to get both the crosshairand the target into crisp focus. if one is out then you are not there.
    Yes, I'm getting both of them on focus with the parallax knob but then, if my eye is not totaly relaxed (in case the eye piece is not set 100%) - is that going to change the distance shown on the side of the knob?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

If you dont get the X-hairs in focus it will affect your range finding. Try this: Look at the sky, not the sun. Adjust your diopter so the X-hairs a nice and crisp, then focus on an object with the Para wheel. Say 10 meters. When you can see everything clearly, re-adjust the diopter to one end and look at the object again, you'll see that it has gone out quite a distance when you re-focus the para wheel, anything up to several meters out depending on the magnification.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ok, why I'm asking this is because I have set eye piece focus first and by looking through it the hairs seems to be clear. Then I look at the target and set the parallax. The way I make sure the parallax is set is to leave the rifle on a steady bench and without touching it, I move my eye from side to side and up/down the edges of the view. When the crosshairs become steady and don't move at all relative to the target the parallax knob shows me 36 yards. Then I measure the distance with a tape and it shows 32 yards. Why there is such difference? Is possible that I have't set the eye piece focus exactly, thus affecting my range finding?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The 36y is that on the factory parallax setting. If so the scope setting are not that accurate. Measure a accurate distance and then focus you parallax and make new marking. Test to see if you can focus every time the same distance. Do that on all you distances and check it every time to make sure you new marking are accurate to you distance.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes, it is on the factory parallax markings. I thought it could be marked wrong but first I want to find out if it could be caused in anyway by not setting the eye piece focus correctly?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Are you sure your not using a "meter" tape? 32 mtrs is almost 36 yards. Why do you move your eye around? the idea is to see a nice round orb with the x-hairs in the middle, ideally your eye should be about 3 inches from the eyepiece ( eye relief ) to give you the clearest view but I suppose it may vary from scope to scope.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'm using yard tape because my scope markings are in yards. I moved my eye from side to side of the view because that's what the parallax is for - even if I don't look always the same way and if the parallax is set corectly, the crosshairs shouldn't move relative to the target.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have not seen a scope that have that accurate parallax setting. We all make new marking on the parallax of the scope that corresponds with the accurate distance in yards or meters.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

So, it can't be the eye piece focus?

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

At what magnification do you range find ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Must be at MAX to do accurate range finding.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My MAX is 16. That's what I used.