Thread: Is it sport?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Is it sport?

Okay, say I have my air rifle(a top of the range Steyr or something) all setup perfectly with the scope, and my marksmanship is excellent. What is the point in buying R100+ pellets for shooting? You know that 99 times out of a 100 you are going to get a bullseye. After you have shot 20 perfect shots, don't you get over it? Its kinda like using a fishfinder in a fishery, and being proud of yourself when you catch a fish?

i would prefer using cheaper pellets, and giving myself a bit of a challenge.
    Am I making any sence, or have I got it all wrong?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Patrickr , my good man if you are that good thats great.

Most of us battle to keep our groupings small at 50m (off the knee that is)

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

Patrick, you obviously have not been shooting very long - why would you buy a top of the range rifle only to use poor quality pellets - you'd be defeating the purpose. It's a bit like buying a sports car and using cheap tyres on it. Shoot targets with reducers at longer ranges, try it standing
    Last edited by Curt; 17-09-08 at 18:09.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you want to make it more of a challenge turn down the magnification on your scope
    if you are using cheap pellets its not making it more of a challenge its making it a bigger gamble!!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All valid ponits guys, Patrick, you have certainly not taken into account all the different problems you are going to experience while shooting, wind, temp, shade, even the best in the world get it wrong, and they shoot with top of the range, except a certain 2 lady's I know of... Try giving them race guns, but there husband are to afraid the will be beaten by there wifes all the time.... You guys know who I'm talking about...HAHAHA

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Patrick, your marksmanship can never be good without proper pellets. I have tested quiet a lot of cheap pellets and there is no way to get good grouping (the size of the bulls eye) at 50m with any cheap ones. The best from the cheap ones I've seen so far are the Accupels and even with those I'm getting a flyer ever 4th-5th pellet, which opens the group quiet a lot just at 30m - not enough tight to hit the bulls eye at that distance, which translates to 20%-25% inaccuracy. May be you can get away with cheap pellets, if they are sorted but is R50 extra worth all the time required sorting 500 pellets?
    Anyway, I don't own a race gun and never tried cheap pellets in one of those - may be race guns are supposed to hit the bulls eye at any distance, even without aiming at all - otherwise why do they cost so much?

Protea FT Team '10

User Info Menu

Patrickr, cheap pellets wont give you a challenge, they are inconsistent and will cause you to doubt your equipment and your ability. I decided to use cheap gamo pellets to practice with instead of JSB's. I had terrible results with every second pellet, off target. some up to 1cm - 2 cm off ....and that at 8m indoors (wth a Steyr).....this was even worse at further distances.....

Protea FT Team '10/'13

User Info Menu

Patrickr, you need to get to a shoot boet.

Make contact with your local club in Durban and go to a shoot. That is the best answer to your question.

That is why we are still in the sport. Striving for perfection. Go have a look at the results of the worlds that have just been completed.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh haha, I guess I was kinda off the target. I get what all you guys are say about consistency having no connection with a challenge. A challenge would rather be a time trail or something similar.

Haha and about those perfect marksman skill, well they are damn hard to achieve (as you have said). I tried standing, and shooting this afternoon.... And have concluded that my targets jump out of my way lol.

Anyhow, I think that a was badly mistaken, and for clearing things up.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickr View Post
    A challenge would rather be a time trail or something similar.
    In FT you have 1min per target - you have to rangefind, aim stable, shoot and HIT the bulls eye - that's time challenge.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

One thing I marvel at about the young people of today is their enormous capacity to remain diplomatic!
    Last edited by MMP; 18-09-08 at 08:33.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree, you don't want to use cheap pellets in your rifle. The idea is to get everything perfectly tuned and insync so that the only weak link is the marksman. There is really no point running around blaming your cheap pellets for not hitting the target, if your setup is good then only you are to blame for not hitting.
    IF YOU WANT CHALLENGING, USE A SPRINGER!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patrickr View Post
    Okay, say I have my air rifle(a top of the range Steyr or something) all setup perfectly with the scope, and my marksmanship is excellent. What is the point in buying R100+ pellets for shooting? You know that 99 times out of a 100 you are going to get a bullseye. After you have shot 20 perfect shots, don't you get over it? Its kinda like using a fishfinder in a fishery, and being proud of yourself when you catch a fish?

i would prefer using cheaper pellets, and giving myself a bit of a challenge.
    Am I making any sence, or have I got it all wrong?

Hi Patrick and welcome to the nut house - sorry forum

I would have to say yes you have got it all wrong.

It is all very well owning a fine rifle and having it perfectly set up at a known distance where you are in shall we say your 'comfort zone'. You will want to use the best pellets that work in your rifle to know that the rifle is performing at its peak

Once you take that same perfectly set up rifle out into the field under competition conditions where variables in terms of differing target distances, wind, weather conditions, light levels, shooting position, target angles etc all need to be considered - you need to have confidence in your rifle, not a nagging doubt about whether this cheap pellet is going to hit the target. The external variables listed above will give you plenty of pressure without concerns about accuracy.

One thing also to bear in mind, there are many brands of pellet that a quality air rifle will group well with at 10 metres, but in terms of a sport such as FT it is how the pellet groups at 50 metres that is the benchmark you need to concern yourself with.