Thread: Line of sight

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Line of sight

Why do one get the following problem? Or must I say some of us.
    My rifle is zero'd at 25 metres. But when shooting at for instance 10 metres the pellet is shooting 3-4mm to the left. Surely one should only compensate for height at different distances? I know 3mm is almost nothing but I'm sure it should stay on a straight line at any distance if you ignore the effects the wind may have on it. If my .22Lr can stay in a straight line from 5 metres to 100 metres might that mean that my airgun's "mounting bridge" can be out of sync? I'm using the same mounts on both guns. Lynx B-Square. Any advice?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Its possible but probably has more to do with the pellet. Have you tested different types of pellets to check the result?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Check your mounts they may not be alined 100%

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As Wally says above, but also are you perhaps canting the rifle slightly?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I dont know how to check the mounts. I use Crosman Premiers. Can pellets do this?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

25mm or 30mm use a long tube and mount as a scope. Check then if the tube is lining up with the barrel. Mount tube with a long piece towards the barrel.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will have to try this. Thanks for the advice.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

you can proove that it is the mounts if you shoot furthure than the zero and it is out to the other side then the mounts are out.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

a neon light tube can also be used to check the aliment it fits in the 25mm scope rings

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

scope's crosshairnot verticle... close range and long range poi opposite

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Not having the scope opticaly centred before mounting can also cause this problem.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I did not optically centered it at all. I believe it is far from that point. I will test all these thing this weekend. Including shooting it at further distances. But at further distances it does not shoot one hole groups anymore so it will be more difficult to see the error. Maybe I should get a set of adjustable mounts and start with optically centering the scope. But if you read what Boondock said above will this really help if the verticle crosshair is not true?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Regarding the vertical set up of the reticle, check this one first by putting a bubble tube from a spirit level across the scope rails to check the rifle is upright then sight onto a plumbline to check the reticle.

If the reticle is slightly out of true then you will get a a situation where the pellet's flight line will not follow the cross hair.

Assuming the reticle is correctly set-up (and it is amazing how many rifles I have looked through that have a scope that is out of true) then canting (leaning) the rifle will also cause an effect such as you originally describe.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Definately the mounts is not aligned correctly. Do what Wally sugested, by using either a neon tube, or a straight broomstick. The pellets cannot do it.