Thread: anti vibration weights

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default anti vibration weights

Hi all,

Have any of you experimented with anti vibration weights similar to this:

http://www.henrich3.com/more_info_smallbore.htm

I have heard Steyr have something similar but I'd like to know if anyone has tried custom ones on springer or PCP and does it make any difference?
    Are those allowed in FT?

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

with a race gun it will make your group size maybe .01 mm smaller

User Info Menu

It really works with rimfire and center fire rifles because it damps the harmonics of the barrel

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I'm heavy into rimfire silhoeette shooting as there is no airgun clubs in Bloem as yet, so this part seems very handy. Can you buy it somewhere in South Africa? I did e-mail them and are waiting for an answer.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Yes!... I have experimented with Anschutz weights on Anschutz Match Rifles. (Rimfire)

The accuracy buffs are full of theories on nodes and anti-nodes and where the barrel should be positioned when the bullet exits....at the top end of the node the theory goes.

I have not seen any of Mr Heinrichs products on the current bunch of top international prone shooters' rifles.

The anti dampening material he refers to is Sorbethane.....as a matter of interest.

Anschutz makes a similar but simpler weght which they sell as a barrel weight and not a barrel tuner. I'd say the intention is to balance the rifle and add more weight to suit the individual.

Having spent time at the Eley factory a few years ago this topic was discussed with their ammo guru Bert Saunders. Batching ammo to suit specific barrel was the only sure way of producing repeatable results.

Another misconception is shooting 5 or ten shots and using that as a benchmark of accuracy..... 50 shots out of a machine rest and then from the shoulder is the only test recommended (Rimfire)

Mr Heinrich claims that his device can improve the accuracy of lower quality ammo....?????

On his webpage he shows an exceptional group shot in the kneeling position...'irrelevant and a coincidence' the experts will say.

Believe me if somebody invents a miracle tuning device... Hart ,Lilje ,Krieger, Walther Anschutz etc would incorporate it immediately.

Any weight on a flimsy or whippy setup will improve accuracy...in Metallic Sil. shooting a weight will slow down movement making the shot easier....too much weight and tremors will appear... so only experimenting will tell you what works for you.

His experiment on a 10m match rifle is also debatable.....when a rifle shoots one hole at 10m I do not see an improvement on a match rifle possible....in fact all the modern 10m have an anti recoil/vibration device (not on the barrel) and shooters are starting to complain of the rifles being too dead...no feedback.

Rather spend your time practising ...throwing lead at the target...plenty ...if you really want improvement.....of course with a good rifle and good compatible ammo.

My personal experience only!
    Last edited by MMP; 11-10-08 at 09:47. Reason: xxx

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Noted!

User Info Menu

A wise man once said: "A plinker studies trajectory tables: a master studies the wind." from p 349 The UltimateSniper by Maj. John Plaster, USAR (RET.) I can add to it a plinker worries about devices and master learned to shoot.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJHS View Post
    A wise man once said: "A plinker studies trajectory tables: a master studies the wind." from p 349 The UltimateSniper by Maj. John Plaster, USAR (RET.) I can add to it a plinker worries about devices and master learned to shoot.
    NJHS, quotes from books are good but not always applicable

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swordfish,
    Can you give us an example or ten?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

I like experimenting with things like this. Especially if it will improve my perception of my skill level

Playing around is all part of the fun!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I like to play, and by now you all know that I experiment a lot, it really is fun and I will never stop trying things to improve rifles. BUT, I have also found that a surefire way of improving groupings is to practice shooting as much as possible.
    Last edited by Ou Van; 02-05-09 at 09:49.