Thread: WL2 in the UK

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default WL2 in the UK

Our second MFTA Winter League Comp took place yesterday (Sunday 19th) at Harriers FTC. A 30 Shot Course mostly over Fishing Ponds into light Woodland. A steadily building wind punished many of us but atleast the rain held off for once!
    Top score was 27 & I managed a reasonable 19 (70%).
    Here are a few photos of the event;

Winter League 2

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Thank you and please do'nt stop, in a small community such as ours we welcome news from abroad.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Our first winter league shoot is on sunday , just outside Pontypool.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Hi Gerry,

let us know about that too and also other interesting things happening there....the content on this forum is starting to get a bit monotonous even "maat' Gerrief struggles to get a proper punchup going.

Have a great week!
    Last edited by MMP; 20-10-08 at 07:33.

Rest in Peace Paul 25/12/2013
    Springer FT World Champion '08/'10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Hi Gerry,

let us know about that too and also other interesting things happening there....the content on this forum is starting to get a bit monotonous even "maat' Gerrief struggles to get a proper punchup going.

Have a great week!
    Our winter league is also under way (NEFTA, North east field target assosciation)too, the first was invaded by some foreigners from the MFTA at Codnor, the next is on sunday, bit further north for those lads, at DRAFTC. I'll take the camera and post some pics too if you like.
    Darth

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Thank you Baltipal, it looked cold out there. I like the venue, and the beers looked nice too. Some nice looking rifles.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

That link does not work for me

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    That link does not work for me
    Sorry about that Allan. Some people can open it & some people can't! Not sure what I can do about it, maybe it's a Browser issue!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Very nice venue. Just on question.

I've been told some (stupid) story that when shooting over water you need to aim slightly higher on the target. Apparently the water 'pulls' the pellet down.

How true is this?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yes the damn gravitational pull of water is a bitch. be carefull of that, it can suck your rifle in as well

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Good advice. I'll remeber that.....................lol

No seriously, so this story is bollocks

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post

I've been told some (stupid) story that when shooting over water you need to aim slightly higher on the target. Apparently the water 'pulls' the pellet down.

How true is this?
    It is very true when it comes to golf. Trees have that same effect.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post

I've been told some (stupid) story that when shooting over water you need to aim slightly higher on the target. Apparently the water 'pulls' the pellet down.How true is this?
    I think it's more temperature related. As the temperature drops lower & the water is either frozen or close to it, your pellets can drop massively!
    At last years WL, shooting at another venue with Fishing Ponds my pellets were dropping 5 or 6 cm, there was pellet drop anyway because of the cold but the water seemed to grab them some more.
    Not a problem you lot get, I should imagine!
    I've been told the opposite holds true for heat & during hot weather you can get pellet lift over water. Not too much hot weather here but do you guys shoot over water at all, have you found this?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

This side nope.. dont think it is hot enough either where we shoot over water. and certainly not cold enough. The theory holds as the air will be denser above a cold body and when it gets hot the humidity will increase decreasing the density of the air. but I dont think we will have much of that problem here in cpt.. maybe next to the body of water as the wind will most likely blow the humidity away from the water