Thread: Is using a stirrup pump bad?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Is using a stirrup pump bad?

Someone told me that using a handpump is not good for a PCP in the long run
    i have 2 one a hills that is rusted(retired) and currently a FX i have been filling this way to 190 bar for about 4 years with correct techniques bleeding valve and allowing cooling time.

Basically are pumps bad and will they reduce the lifespan of my guns
    please help.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I've read that they can put some moisture in your gun. Some disagree. I'm not willing to take the chance

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The pumps do have less sophisticated moisture control systems than those on the compressors for breathing quality air so there is a risk from that, although to a lesser degree for guns with alloy cylinders.

However the bigger problem that I have noticed is owing to the hose on the pump being located at near ground level they can pick up contamination with dust and debris which can be transferred to the rifle if due care is not taken when using them.
    Last edited by Dale; 23-10-08 at 10:15.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have found that the hills pumps internals had actually rusted when i stripped it was a sort of brownish grit in it, when it was sent to louis he was not impressed plus i had to replace the male and female snap connectors,

so how do you stop it from rusting and transfering rust when you live 5km from the beech?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Buy a scuba tank instead.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Salt free sea air! There must be a market in there somewhere.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yup you learn to love WD-40 being close to the coast is a nightmare on blueing
    gotta get me some dry Jozy air

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Know all about it Avi. Lived in Cape Town for 48 years. Go to machine tool importers and ask for the bags of silica gel that come as part of the packaging. 2 or 3 per gun case or bag works wonders.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey thanks adrian cant hurt to try it

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Moisture is always a by product of compressing air.

The Hills pumps have always (to the best of my Knowledge) had the option of a Dry Pack Filter, BUT that was only on the outlet side so therefore you would still get moisture buildup in the pump itself- which is not good. Dale's point of dirt etc creating a problem because the hose is close to the ground is very valid!

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

I do have a FX pump as a back up at times the local dive club is closed as all the divers are away at some dive at the cost. Never had any problems with rust. The secrect is check what you are doing and no dust will get in to the system.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hmmm aside from moisture i guess using a pump is not bad btw i have made a housing for my connector about 3 years ago and have never had any problem to date.

I have also checked my FX pump surprisingly nothing wrong with it no corrosion or anything

I put the reason my Hills pump was in such bad condition was lack of proper care for it

For now im not to worried about moisture hence the bleed valve, and my housing thingy i made sorts out the dust.

Main problem is pumps are sensitive DON'T use it outdoors or dusty/dirty areas make sure your connectors are free of dust and use the bleed valve frequently

Also when the pump shaft starts to get hot stop and let it cool down you reduce the lifespan of the pump because your burning the seals and the heated air has moisture content.

So i have found that pumps are freaking awesome thus far