Thread: S410SL Xtra lever action question

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default S410SL Xtra lever action question

I am thinking of buying this rifle but just want to know whether the following statement is true: "No point of impact change when adjusting the velocity"

In theory this seems to be correct, you are shooting through the same barrel. But I dont get this result with my Ranchero pistol.
    When shooting with Premier flats for example, I get 1 hole accuracy but when I shoot the pistol at its lowest velocity I get a grouping of 15 mm at only 10 meters! Its as if I shoot a totally different gun. I favour high velocity and the rifle will be at max setting the most of the time but i do need low velocity/penetration and low sound with times. When changing the velocity I dont want poi shifts.

My pistol is shooting these pellets at 620 fps at low, 670 fps at medium and 730 fps at max power. Can only 130 fps make such a big difference to the grouping? What can be the reason?

Coming back to the original question as well. Does the new S410 grouping stay the same when changing velocity?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

HI Ettiene, statement incorrect. with change in velocity there will always be change in poi. What I have found though with my erb is that the groupings dont suffer. they stay one hole groupong all the way. I now some guys with HW100 FAC's have the problem of the grouping opening up as velocity drops. But the poi will always change. I think the reason. And I dont really know but hypothisize . Is that some barrels are a slightly gigger bore and need the extra velocity to seal the skirt of the pellet properly and induce rotation. My theory anyways..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

there are so many variables involved...POI will definitely change due to obvious trajectory differences

group size may definitely vary with different pellets at different speeds...one needs to experiment and find optimal velocities for each pellet..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Okay, I've said what I wanted to say incorrectly. Poi shift can be accepted and it is agreed it will happen at further ranges without question, the pellet will drop more for example. But the group size should stay the same, at least at short ranges. I thought only when a pellet becomes supersonic that you can expect group sizes to open up.

I mean the barrel etc stays the same, why must the groups open up with only 130 fps less velocity. I cant understand the reason for that.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

it is not an exact science...some pellets do work best at certain velocities...wadcutters \flatheads are particularly affected.....you need to experiment.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

HI Ettiene,

as Guido says. different barrels want different pellets for a given velocity. The ranchero may open up @ 130 fps lower but I bet you will find a pellet that one holes at that velocity and may just be fine higher as well. However, some barrels are more full of sh1t than others. I think the 410's barrel should be fine for lower velocities as my 410 does not change the grouping. It just lowers the poi. with jsb/aa 4.52's

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks. Nothing beats experience it seems.

Rest in Peace Friend 12/2017

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    I agree with Guido.
    I also have a Ranchero that is very fussy with pellets, at the low power setting, light pellets (Air Arms Field Target) group very well, heavy pellets are all over the place, when I change the higher power, only FX heavy pellets group.
    My Air Arms 410 FAC with adjustable power is another story, seems to like all pellets, but POI changes when you adjust the power.
    I still have to do more testing - i will post results.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Without trying to teach my Gradma to suck eggs!!! Pellet drop is caused by Gravity. The less air the slower the fps, the longer the effect of gravity on the pellet, over the same distance : therfore the lower the poi. As to the reason for the larger grouping :- There are people infinitily more qualified than me to comment on that subject. Best of luck

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

you are right dave.. the issue at hand, even though ettiene called it poi I think is realy grouping. my 410 the grouping does not change. it groups one hole all the way down to just above 500fps with jsb's. his ranchero does not. To me it is the barrel that couses the diffs. maybe it is the diameter or maybe the way they are choked. but some barrels dont give the same results in grouping when changing velocity with the same pellet.